• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint: Nintendo Is Failing Its Disabled Fans

Full article by Patrick Klepek.

Most people play games with their hands, but AJ Ryan plays them with his feet. Born with a disability called arthrogryposis, Ryan lacks nerves and muscles in his arms and legs, which means he's unable to walk or use his hands, and navigates the world in a wheelchair. His toes, however, are a different story, with enough dexterity to use traditional game controllers—under the right conditions. But the right conditions weren't available for Ryan while trying to play the recent Splatoon 2 multiplayer test, which doesn't feature any options for button remapping.

Unlike the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, Nintendo's new Switch console doesn't provide any options for button remapping. Previously, button remapping happened on a game-to-game basis, but both Sony and Microsoft implemented the feature system-wide. Nintendo has not.

A friend of Ryan's pointed him towards a page on Nintendo's website, which asks people to write in with accessibility concerns, as the company "endeavors to provide products and services that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities." Ryan wrote Nintendo a letter:

Hello!

Because I play games with my feet, I was having trouble enjoying the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire last week. It's hard for me to press triggers on any controller, and the Nintendo Switch is no exception. I did poorly in the game as I could hardly shoot my gun. Because of the lack of remapping, I sadly had to cancel my preorder I was so excited for. I've also not been having a good time with the new Zelda game because of the lack of remapping. I can hardly shoot arrows! As a game developer, I believe it would be easy to add in button remapping to make games more playable for myself and up to 33 Million more gamers with disabilities worldwide. As AbleGamers' Fellow, I'm willing to help in any way I can. With your dedication to accessibility, I'm sure something can be done. Thank you.

AJ Ryan

Just a few days later, Ryan received received a response from the company:

Hello AJ,

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire. I realize it can certainly be very frustrating to not be able to enjoy the same games as many others do due to having an unfortunate condition, and we sincerely empathize.

I want you to know how much we appreciate you sending your thoughts in to us, and so rest assured that your comments will be added to our records for future reference and will be made available for other departments at the company to review and thoughtfully consider.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

Though appreciative that Nintendo had written back, Ryan took exception with a phrase the customer service representative used used to describe his situation: "unfortunate condition."

"An unfortunate condition is an extremely patronizing and demeaning thing to say to someone with disabilities," said Ryan. "Almost everyone I know was repulsed by the statement. Even a junior level representative should know better than to use such language. Empathy from a representative also isn't something that I needed."

What Ryan wanted from Nintendo was action, not empty corporate empathy.

Nintendo did not respond to my request for comment.

More at the link.

0racle

Eh......

I think he is grasping at straws here. He had his question answered by them forwarding it to the appropriate people. we don't know if its smoke and mirrors yet.

I for one think its an appropriate response and I feel he is hunting for things to find insensitive or insulting.

Should Nintendo not feel any sense of empathy for his condition? its causing him not to enjoy the games they make. of course they empathetic.

and yes, he has an unfortunate condition. Its unfortunate he has to play with his feet. its unfortunate he cant enjoy the games Nintendo currently has out.

There's no excuse for a lack of button remapping at least on Nintendo's games. System wide remapping is more complex but it should also be done! But this is a company that released Wind Waker HD in 2014 without the option to properly invert the Y axis whole not fucking up the X axis of the camera. I guess hoping to be able to change the run button in BOTW to L3 was too much.

maxcriden

The language is really inappropriate from whoever wrote the letter. Nintendo should reach out to this fan to fix this, and make it a point to get this sentiment pushed to NCL for better button mapping options. As the Rhythm Heaven story linked above indicates, Nintendo seems more than willing to be accommodating if it gets to the right people. In general though the button mapping situation should really be improved, whatever companies think about only offering ideal control schemes.

Platy

That is a very specific disability!

While full customizable controllers would be ideal, it is also good to remember that 1,2 Switch is an AWESOME game for blind people.

Also full touch screen controles might work for someone like him... i heard great praise for bayonetta 2's touch controlls

And yeah that was not very good wording

Eh......

I think he is grasping at straws here. He had his question answered by them forwarding it to the appropriate people. we don't know if its smoke and mirrors yet.

I for one think its an appropriate response and I feel he is hunting for things to find insensitive or insulting.

Should Nintendo not feel any sense of empathy for his condition? its causing him not to enjoy the games they make. of course they empathetic.

and yes, he has an unfortunate condition. Its unfortunate he has to play with his feet. its unfortunate he cant enjoy the games Nintendo currently has out.

Then Nintendo should make it so he can play them, they are the only company that makes it super hard to play their stuff for folks with disabilities as I can play mostly anything on Xbox & Playstation with relative ease.

PSqueak

Banned
That is a very specific disability!

While full customizable controllers would be ideal, it is also good to remember that 1,2 Switch is an AWESOME game for blind people.

Also full touch screen controles might work for someone like him... i heard great praise for bayonetta 2's touch controlls

And yeah that was not very good wording

First thing that came to my mind.

Boem

Legit question, because I honestly don't know, but what is bad about 'unfortunate condition'?

Mostly asking because I think I might have used the same phrasing in a similar situation while just trying to be polite and emphatic.

I feel like Nintendo's letter was clearly written with the best intentions, so I don't really understand the problem with that part of it. Happy to learn and have it explained to me though.

TZchassis

Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft should copy 's amazing accessibility features. We need to see them in all consumer electronics really.

Legit question, because I honestly don't know, but what is bad about 'unfortunate condition'?

Mostly asking because I think I might have used the same phrasing in a similar situation while just trying to be polite and emphatic.

Eh, it just makes you feel singled out and pitied most of the time. Most disabled folks are trying to be like everyone else and saying that makes them feel lesser and burdened by a condition.

Nintendo really needs to get with the times on this. Imagine how frustrating it would be to not be able to enjoy a game you anticipated for years because the platform holder refuses to implement a design choice that is standard on other platforms. Nintendo are genius game makers, but their insistence that you play their way is stupid.

I think the letter sender has to appreciate that asking for a feature and demanding a feature are two different things.

Any corporate response to "we want X in this already released game" is going to be met with "thanks for your input, we'll pass it on to the devs, we appreciate the interest." If you press, you're going to get "we have no plans at this time."

Best way to go about this would be to actually get a petition running.

Wiped89

Oh my god, imagine getting this letter back and complaining about the words 'unfortunate condition'.

Like, what? 'Hey I'll have you know I'm so lucky to have this condition!' Or is it 'I'm allowed to say it but you aren't'.

Crazy stuff.

Then Nintendo should make it so he can play them, they are the only company that makes it super hard to play their stuff for folks with disabilities as I can play mostly anything on Xbox & Playstation with relative ease.

And my father with one hand has never been able to play any Sony or ms game, but thanks to the continued support of motion controls has at least occasionally been able to join in on Nintendo games like Mario kart 8 deluxe(the new ease of use features are great!)

Picking and choosing.

Not that it's excusing the lack of button mapping, I guess.

RRockman

Banned
Eh, it just makes you feel singled out and pitied most of the time. Most disabled folks are trying to be like everyone else and saying that makes them feel lesser and burdened by a condition.

I'm thinking this would have been better.

Hello AJ,

Thanks for writing. We're sorry to hear about your disappointment with the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire.

I want you to know how much we appreciate you sending your thoughts in to us, and so rest assured that your comments will be added to our records for future reference and will be made available for other departments at the company to review and thoughtfully consider.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.

I get that you want to emphasize but I learned first hand in CS it's best you treat them like anyone else.

NateDrake

I definitely would like to see button remapping as a system wide feature on every console. Would benefit everyone.

Agreed.

I would also like to see games have colorblind mode as a standard, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. PuyoPuyo Tetris is nearly impossible to play without colorblind mode for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
And my father with one hand has never been able to play any Sony or ms game, but thanks to the continued support of motion controls has at least occasionally been able to join in on Nintendo games like Mario kart 8 deluxe(the new ease of use features are great!)

Picking and choosing.

I have a friend who has one arm and can play modern consoles and PC games no problem. Some companies even make custom controllers for this very function but even that isn't needed.

Oh my god, imagine getting this letter back and complaining about the words 'unfortunate condition'.

Like, what? 'Hey I'll have you know I'm so lucky to have this condition!' Or is it 'I'm allowed to say it but you aren't'.

Crazy stuff.
Its a bit patronizing and impersonal to describe a lifelong affliction as an 'unfortunate condition' like that

stupei

Crazy stuff.

Imagine thinking you have the right to dictate how someone should think and feel about their own body and the ways that others might choose to speak about it. Crazy stuff.

Eh......

If you cut out the language around having an "unfortunate condition," the empathy actually comes through more strongly.

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment with the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire. I realize it can be very frustrating to not be able to enjoy the same games that many others do, and we sincerely empathize.

I have a friend who has one arm and can play modern consoles and PC games no problem. Some companies even make custom controllers for this very function but even that isn't needed.

That's nice, I'll be sure to let him know he just wasn't trying hard enough.

Seriously what did you want from this reply?

RRockman

Banned
Agreed.

I would also like to see games have colorblind mode as a standard, but that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. PuyoPuyo Tetris is nearly impossible to play without colorblind mode for me.

Out of curiosity, did you use the cheat to unlock everything? I thought I saw a few skins that made it much more manageable.

Zemm

Button remapping should be a basic feature in any game.

It should be an OS option so developers don't even need to worry about it, it just works with every game. I'm really surprised Nintendo of all companies doesn't have it. That's something that needs to come in an update for the Switch.

I mean, it's unfortunate, but do we really need to slander Nintendo for not designing a game to be played with your feet? Come on.

Aleh

Its a bit patronizing and impersonal to describe a lifelong affliction as an 'unfortunate condition' like that
It's just as rude, in my opinion, to get angry and offended because of it. They could have explained to them it's not the best thing to say. There's no reason to react this way since they had good intentions.

Eh Nintendo didn't say anything mean or wrong.

They do not even have to give people the ability to remap the buttons. If they don't do it and you don't like it, don't buy their stuff.

Kind of feel like Nintendo was cornered to begin with. If they didn't say anything about the condition then they would get chastised for ignoring it and since they didn't do that they get chastised for calling it what it is.

Nintendo being up its own ass about control schemes has always been a shitty thing about them

I mean, it's unfortunate, but do we really need to slander Nintendo for not designing a game to be played with your feet? Come on.
He's not asking for controls designed for feet, he's asking for remappable controls, genius

Goron2000

best junior ever
That's nice, I'll be sure to let him know he just wasn't trying hard enough.

Seriously what did you want from this reply?
What did you expect from yours? It's not a competition, everyone should strive to be as inclusive as possible with their controls. Adding in a remap feature is not a difficult thing to implement.

Dipper145

Imagine thinking you have the right to dictate how someone should think and feel about their own body and the ways that others might choose to speak about it. Crazy stuff.
But isn't that what Ryan did too by saying it would inherently be patronizing and demeaning to every disabled person? I understand being upset about it, and I understand seeing it as not upsetting too.

Being repulsed by the wording seems a little excessive to me, but I suffer from different disabilities, and know that every reacts differently or prefers different ways for their disabilities to be talked about or referenced.

That said, Nintendo should toss in some button remapping into their games.

nynt9

Beyond button remapping they also need to include basic features like being able to adjust sound/music/voice volume separately as well.

Orayn

"Nintendo is failing" the first three words.

Nintendo is failing its disabled fans in the sense that it's providing inadequate options to help people with a variety of disabilities to play their games. What you think about reasonable accommodation is a separate topic, but saying that Nintendo is letting people down isn't slander in any way.

Nanashrew

Banned

There's no slander here though. Just a criticism and pointing out a failing where Nintendo is usually pretty good with, accessibility. Remapping buttons is something that Nintendo hasn't been so great at. Remapping buttons, as small and trivial they may be, can go a long way in accessibility. Nintendo does provide a variety of control schemes, which is great, but I feel they can still do more.

EDIT: I also agree with everyone else on the colorblindness option as well. Would be a great feature to have.

Nintendo is failing its disabled fans in the sense that it's providing inadequate options to help people with a variety of disabilities to play their games. What you think about reasonable accommodation is a separate topic, but saying that Nintendo is letting people down isn't slander in any way.

That's understandable, but they've always made gimmick controls and the Switch is obviously no different. I'd love for them to add mappable buttons, but I'm not holding my breath. There's many cases where Nintendo is praised for having games that are accessible for people with disabilities, but because in this case it doesn't work out, "Nintendo is failing".

There's no slander here though. Just a criticism and pointing out a failing where Nintendo is usually pretty good with, accessibility. Remapping buttons is something that Nintendo hasn't been so great at. Remapping buttons, as small and trivial they may be, can go a long way in accessibility. Nintendo does provide a variety of control schemes, which is great, but I feel they can still do more.

I agree with you. Shit headline is all.

Richie

Nintendo could have gone better about this specific exchange, but "Failing Its Disabled Fans" strikes me as too broad and even inaccurate a title given all the positive stories we've heard with 1-2-Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in this regard. There's room for improvement? Obviously, but let's not sweep the progress made via those games under the rug.

Mechazawa

When you're more preoccupied about an accurately negative phrase that points out a company's shortcomings rather than the actual issue prohibiting people from potentially playing games.

Top Bottom