• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waypoint Thread: Vice City Stories

Time to reunite Danielle and Rob.

Now Rob can focus on important questions like, "Do board games fuck? Does the artillery piece from Risk fuck? We know that the cavalry piece from Risk fucks."

Personally I'm looking forward to Waypoint Radio's sister podcast Three Fucks Ahead starting Rob Zacny, Bruce Geryk and Tom Chick

Solobbos

The Zelda/Switch discussion was probably the first time I actually enjoyed listening to the Waypoint Podcast. Well actually the Nioh discussion was quite interesting also.

Jintor

Danika's deep cut about sword art online was incredible

Dani please know someone out there understood what you were talking about

Lijik

As someone whos only exposure to Rob was on Idle Weekend and found him so unlikable I eventually dropped the show, if he winds up a regular on the cast I hope I find him more pleasant in a bigger group.

As someone whos only exposure to Rob was on Idle Weekend and found him so unlikable I eventually dropped the show, if he winds up a regular on the cast I hope I find him more pleasant in a bigger group.

Austin and Patrick won't let him get a word in, so it'll be fine.

Kimaka

Just caught up on the podcast and I'm really enjoying it. Even the fandom parts. It isn't often that the games media engages with that side of the gaming community and doesn't just discard it as weird.

Lijik

Austin and Patrick won't let him get a word in, so it'll be fine.

People criticize Patrick and Austin for being longwinded and dominating a conversation, but the only time Ive ever felt that way about a gaming podcast host was Rob on Idle Weekend episodes without a guest. Maybe that show got better and maybe hes different on other podcasts with a bigger group, but its part of the handful of things that left that dude leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

edit- for what its worth i do think waypoint is a good fit for him
and i dont think hes a bad person, i just found him really offputting and my hope is i dont continue to do so.

Is Mike still at Waypoint? When they launched he kinda felt like the odd one out in the UK, which was a bummer since he's pretty great and is technically the one there the longest

I saw stuff about Rob being hired and was wondering if that was because Mike was stepping back or something.

54-46!

CwN25ocVIAArSud.jpg

Patrick looks like Amuro Ray in that pic, Austin must be jealous.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Why isn't dumb stuff like this put on their youtube channel? I don't use twitter so if I hadn't seen that Sonic fan art I never would have seen this video.

https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/840039279501824002

It is fucking fantastic. I want more dumb videos from Waypoint.

It will hopefully go up on the YT soonish. Believe it or not, legal teams have different degrees of worry about stuff going up on social media versus being archived forever on YT or our own video servers!

(also: ty)

Sou Da

It will hopefully go up on the YT soonish. Believe it or not, legal teams have different degrees of worry about stuff going up on social media versus being archived forever on YT or our own video servers!

(also: ty)

whew. that tag of yours expired rather quickly in retrospect.

vypek

I didn't know Waypoint had a thread like this here. The podcast was something that I picked up kind of randomly when I got a podcast app weeks ago. I really enjoy it.

Is Mike still at Waypoint? When they launched he kinda felt like the odd one out in the UK, which was a bummer since he's pretty great and is technically the one there the longest

I saw stuff about Rob being hired and was wondering if that was because Mike was stepping back or something.

Mike is indeed still there and running the UK side of things. People in this thread tend to be here for the podcast more than the articles though. He runs his own UK Waypoint podcast if you're interested. Mike is great ran VICE Gaming before it was Waypoint. Dude doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Avert your eyes austin, plz

The conversation on the last Waypoint Radio about feeling attacked when people insult something you like was real good.

It was good. Making sure to explain one's stance on something is real important, though I understand why someone wouldn't have time to do so on a podcast.

Also really liked hearing about games people didn't want to end and why. Never played Mass Effect and hearing Danielle's experience painted what I know of the game in a different light.

Jintor

i'm half annoyed patrick spoiled the fuck out of OG nier and half relieved because i was still tossing up if i would ever play the 360 copy i have i've never opened or at least watch an LP

Catvoca

Banned
i'm half annoyed patrick spoiled the fuck out of nier and half relieved because i was still tossing up if i would ever play the 360 copy i have i've never opened or at least watch an LP

I want to play Nier but used copies are still like 30 bucks where I am and I don't even think I'll like it.

Did he spoil it on the podcast? I haven't listened to Monday's yet.

Jintor

he gives a pretty big warning but i was playing zelda and very slow on hitting the skip button

also, I have to say, i really like austin's dumb video personality which feels a lot like him on professor killah mode 24/7

Catvoca

Banned
he gives a pretty big warning but i was playing zelda and very slow on hitting the skip button

Good, I might skip that bit. Though I'll probably never play the game and I think I've inferred what the twist is about so maybe there's no point lol.

convo

Good, I might skip that bit. Though I'll probably never play the game and I think I've inferred what the twist is about so maybe there's no point lol.

I'd say there are more than one twist to the old Nier, three if you count where the origins of that game lie which you would never learn unless someone told you. I haven't listened to it myself yet but i don't know how patrick will spoil two major elements of that game at once. Besides twists ,knowing who Emil is is for sure the biggest thing one misses out on when playing Automata.

He did give a spoiler warning so other people shouldn't worry about it, though it lasts longer than the 30 seconds he says and it also goes into Drakengard. I suggest skipping about two minutes if you want to avoid those spoilers.

Jakoo

Man, I gotta say the multi-location format of this podcast really threw me off in Episode 47.
While Austin steers the ship, it feels like the podcast is him having separate conversations with Rob, Patrick and Danika/Danielle. I think the co-locating makes it hard for other members to jump into the conversational fray.

I have no idea if the chemistry would be there, but I wonder if they should adopt the Giant Bomb model where Patrick and Rob do a one-on-one Skype Conversation for one podcast and Austin, Danielle and Danika do one from the Vice offices.

As an aside, I really like Danika's increased presence on the show. Her sense of humor seems to throw Austin off in a way that cracks me up, and her perspective as someone as someone that is slightly newer to games coverage contrasts with Danielle/Austin's experience nicely.

Brakke

Banned
Rob is already a really good presence. I can listen to Rob and Austin talk about strategy games for hours (in fact I did go back and download the Three Moves Ahead with Austin on it, plus a handful of eps about games I've played or have been interested in). Makes sense that that part was one-on-one, nobody else has real strategy experience. But I'm looking forward for the crew to start rubbing off on one another: get everybody into Endless Space 2, get Rob into giggle at horny games.

Salarians

I enjoyed the five person podcast, even with the inevitable "offness" that skype brings. Hope Rob and Danika can be on more often.

Nier conversation was good too. For me, while 2B's butt is very obviously meant to be sexy, it doesn't "bother me" (more of a eye roll/"look at the camera" feeling really) like Quiet sticking her ass in front of Big Boss' face or EDI's cameltoe in ME3 did. Maybe it's because of Nier's more anime aesthetic? She also hasn't been sexualized in-game like those two were (not as far as I've played anyway). I don't know. Kaine didn't bother me either and her underwear leaves her goddamn butt crack visible.

I guess I appreciate Yoko Taro's honest horny.

Top Bottom