• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Accidentally Confirms Zatanna at the AT&T Investor's Day

ManaByte

Gold Member
Found out that WB was doing Zatanna (either on HBO Max or in theaters) last year, and today WB accidentally confirmed it at the AT&T Investor's Day:
EwSiLQnXMAAQCZh

No idea what DMZ is. GCPD is the HBO Max series set in the Battison universe. Batgirl is going to be a movie on HBO Max (and Keaton might be in it too).

Pejo

Gold Member
I always get Zatanna confused with Tala. I wasn't a big DC reader back in the day.

81etKczthIL.jpg

DC magic user, kind of like Doctor Strange (although Doctor Fate is more of the DC equivalent to Strange and he's in Black Adam). Casts her spells by speaking them backwards.

Major member of Justice League Dark (along with Constantine, who is also getting a HBO Max series). The two will then show up in the JJ Abrams produced JL Dark on HBO Max.

She won't have those stockings for sure, so hard pass.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Anna Taylor Joy as Zatanna. I think that would be good casting. Halie stifield could be another choice.

I don’t know if it is an accident when they put it in their presentation.

GeorgPrime

Banned
81etKczthIL.jpg

DC magic user, kind of like Doctor Strange (although Doctor Fate is more of the DC equivalent to Strange and he's in Black Adam). Casts her spells by speaking them backwards.

Major member of Justice League Dark (along with Constantine, who is also getting a HBO Max series). The two will then show up in the JJ Abrams produced JL Dark on HBO Max.

"DC Heroes are as cool as Marvel Heroes. Just take Zatanna"
"Whats her super power?"
"She can casts her spells by speaking them backwards"
"........"

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They'll probably just give her modesty shorts

They’ll certainly give her a costume which in no way will look like the classic magician’s assistant, which is a major aspect of her character because of her relationship with her magician father. It’ll be modernised, probably made of leather, and will look terrible.

sol_bad

DMZ is a comic by Brian Wood. Haven't read it yet. And can't say I'm excited about Zatanna, WB always have about 14 things in production and barely release anything.

Dacon

Banned
81etKczthIL.jpg

Outside of the fact that she uses magic, Zatanna is nothing like Doctor Strange. Doctor Fate is the definitive DC analogue for Strange. His role as a Lord of Order is pretty much the same as Strange's role as Sorcerer Supreme.

Never heard of her.

Zatanna is a stage magician known for her over the top and quirky performances, who secretly is a real magician who often gets called in by the Justice League or various magic affiliated heroes to deal with magic related threats.

She's an off and on again love interest of Batman, and was really popular back in the day with the geeks in the DC fandom in no small part thanks to her appearances in animated series. That all kind of fell off recently with the new 52 and subsequent Rebirth.

She's one of the characters that's in a bit of a weird place imo, the JL Dark book with her and all of the magic related heroes always felt kind of forced to me(especially with fucking Constantine involved, anyone who ever read Hellblazer knows how fucking weird it is to try and jam him into a superhero team). When they made Diana(WW) front and center in their big conflict with the Upside Down Man and the Lords of Order it was kind of cool I guess but this is all a different tangent. Zatanna herself became far less of a fun character and bit more of a dark gritty hero than her former flamboyant and sexy iteration.
Not a fucking chance in hell they’ll let her keep that costume.

Dude she doesn't even use that costume in the comics anymore and hasn't for years. There's been various iterations of new designs that just look less iconic and much less fun. Last time I saw her in a book, which I think was the end of the last JLDark storyline, she was wearing something that looked like this:

GD5cWKn.jpg

90a8d200709895331b49e23a987d3e8f.jpg

I really don't see modern DC doing this character much justice, esp given the kind of drama the character went through in the comics and how it added more dimensions to her as a person. These productions are in just too much of a hurry to get somewhere for that.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Never actually read her comics though I like the few times she's popped up in the animated movies and a couple of times in Batman comics, she's been a decent character so far.

I wouldn't mind Daddario playing her, but I'm sure plenty could.

Would love to see her comic outfit, but as many said it does seem super unlikely these days.

Top Bottom