• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB (Zaslav) cancels another completed film Coyote vs ACME for a tax write-off, despite glowing test screenings

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Not when taken as a tax write off. That's why they apparently deleted Batgirl from existence. It can never be released or seen and the only way to prevent it from ever coming out is to erase it.
Or they release it and repay tax? Has to be possible, but I get that the math in the case of Batgirl would not have worked.

Uh huh. So lets take a look at the movie and tv show scene. You call that shit creative? (Mostly talking about writers)

Im sure these people are crying into their piles of money as they whine about how their creativity has been hidden from the world.

Does them a favor actually, they keep getting hired for work because if some of the crap got released to the public they might never get hired again.
...Then you'll have to say the same exact thing when the artists you actually like have their work and projects erased too. Don't suddenly change your opinion and show bias when it's someone you like.

DKehoe

Creatives are used to not seeing their designs see the light of day (product design being one example) the process needs to be fulfilling and fun. At least that’s how I would feel.
If you're an animator then there's a good chance that the Looney Tunes stuff had a big influence on you. So getting to have a Looney Tunes film you worked on would be cool. Or they've got kids and wanted to be able to enjoy their work with them.

Sure they got paid but it must feel a bit empty to put all that work into something that then basically doesn't exist.

GymWolf

The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are seriously the best things out of the DCEU and probably what got Gunn the job running DC movies AND why they're keeping that part of the universe intact in the reboot.

I need to see suicide squad, even just for king shark, thanks for the reminder :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Bridges

Didn't even know this was a thing until this thread, but it sounds great. If this actually comes out they'll get one extra sale/stream out of me so maybe there's something to be said of the publicity it draws.

This practice of scrapping completed projects is terrible though, it should not be the trend it is becoming.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You know you fucked up when even the US Congress is like “buddy, what are you doing”.
When its farmers destroying crops (thereby depriving people of food) to keep prices high and for the write off, I kinda agree with you. While no one should be forced to sell something they've worked for, they shouldn't be able to get a tax break for doing so, doubly so when it affects the basic necessities of other people.

But this is a movie, a pure luxury good, so my level of caring is minimal. Studios should do a better job of gatekeeping their content and supervising quality during production, so binning a completed project needs to be an option. I just want the tax write off to be heavily scrutinized and reasonable, not some pie in the sky "this woulda made a BILLION dollars had we released it" kinda farse.

Top Bottom