• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We aren't talking about the new Mercedes AMG GT. We should be talking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Mercedes finally released a Porsche 911 rival, and it looks balls out awesome. Although it was announced a couple of weeks ago, it just got official over the Paris Auto Show.

PR said:
The new Mercedes-AMG GT: Driving performance for sports car enthusiasts

AMG racetrack performance combined with superb everyday practicality

Affalterbach. The first Mercedes was a racing car and its most recent successor carries this heritage forward. With the new Mercedes-AMG GT, the Mercedes-AMG sports car brand is moving into a new sports car segment. The GT is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG. Its front mid-engine design with a rear transaxle and use of intelligent aluminium lightweight construction form the basis for a highly dynamic driving experience. Its newly developed AMG 4.0-liter V8 biturbo engine underscores the hallmark of AMG driving performance. The first sports car engine from AMG with internally mounted turbochargers ('hot inside V') and dry sump lubrication is configured in two output ratings: as a GT with 456 hp (340 kW) and as a GT S with 503 hp (375 kW). The new GT combines driving dynamics and first-class racetrack performance with superb everyday practicality and efficiency that sets new standards in the segment.

It has everything you would expect from an authentic Mercedes-AMG sports car – from the characteristic styling, thoroughbred motorsport technology to the optimum weight distribution. The drive system tailored to consistently delivering driving dynamics perfectly complements this set-up. The centerpiece of the Mercedes-AMG GT is thethe new 4.0-liter V8 biturbo, which responds instantly with extreme power at low revs and delivers outstanding performance. Top figures such as 3.7 seconds from 0-60 mph (preliminary) and a top speed of 193 mph (310 km/h), combined with the outstanding driving dynamics will undoubtedly translate into extremely fast laps on the racetrack.

At the same time, this two-seater is a comfortable and reliable companion for everyday motoring thanks to its practical decklid, easily accessible luggage compartment, and high level of comfort on long journeys. It also features an extensive list of Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive assistance systems which ensure the high level of safety expected from Mercedes-AMG.

"With the new Mercedes-AMG GT, we are venturing out into a challenging sports car segment with its top-class competitive field. This is an incentive and motivation for us at the same time to prove to sports car enthusiasts around the world the kind of performance that AMG is capable of", says Prof Dr Thomas Weber, Member of the Board of Management of Daimler AG, responsible for Group Research & Mercedes-Benz Cars Development.

"With the new GT we are positioning Mercedes-AMG even more aggressively than to date as a dynamic sports car brand", says Tobias Moers, CEO of Mercedes-AMG GmbH. "With its technological substance, the Mercedes-AMG GT fulfils our high aspirations with regard to driving dynamics, agility and sportiness. The new GT is the second sports car developed fully independently by Mercedes-AMG. The car is manufactured according to the motto 'Handcrafted By Racers' – which perfectly encapsulates our heritage and our spirit."

The models at a glance:

• Mercedes-AMG GT
  • Displacement: 3982 cc
  • Output: 456 hp (340 kW) at 6000 rpm
  • Max. torque: 443 lb.ft (600 Nm) at 1600-5000 rpm
  • Acceleration: 0-60mph 3.9 s (preliminary)
  • Top speed: 189mph (304 km/h)***
  • Mercedes-AMG GT S
  • Displacement: 3982 cc
  • Output: 503 hp (375 kW) at 6250 rpm (6000-6500 rpm*)
  • Max. torque: 479 lb. ft. (650 Nm) at 1750-4750 rpm (1750-5000 rpm*)
  • Acceleration: 3.7 s (preliminary)
  • Top speed: 193 mph (310 km/h)***
FdFcSJi.jpg
KHagZ25.jpg

I3RGebX.jpg
wHyHvFp.jpg

XlSmeAN.jpg
ITyhFSo.jpg

hlAQ9zt.jpg

Dat ass. I'm half mast already.

SmokyDave

I'm just not sold on the SLR/SLS design direction. Admittedly though, everything from the A pillar backwards is fucking hot.

TCRS

Banned
I don't like it. Weird front and proportions. doesn't look as sharp and classic as the SLS. that car was pure sex.

I don't know, it seems...weird to me. Don't get me wrong, I like the SLS design, but this seems weird when looking at it at an angle. Rear view is fine, side view is good, but everything else seems strange. Interior looks great, though.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I just never could really get into the designs of Mercedes or Porsche for that matter. I love BMWs though probably because they don't have as much of a nostalgic look to them.

It's just that that Mercedes reminds me of a Cruella Deville car or something.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm just not sold on the SLR/SLS design direction.
Same.

I typically think Mercedes makes great looking coupes and sedans, but I don't like these sports/super cars of theirs. Proportions look all wrong.

Not of a fan of their grumbly V8's, either.

Eh. Mercedes just doesn't do a lot for me and these don't excite me whatsoever.

AMUSIX

Will have to drive one first...after racing the SLS AMG, was decidedly unimpressed with the SUV-like drive.

But if this is specifically targeting the 911 market, I'm happy to give it a go.

Mohonky

Whats with the SLS front and then kind of unusual bubble back end?

Anyway a Merc to rivial the Porsche? Really dont see it happening. This will be like other high power Mercs, brutal in a straight line and scary as shit in the corners as it wags its tail out and devours the rear tyres.

Its also a GT, so it'll be a cruiser which Porchse are not, they are track orientated cars.

EGOMON

The back section is damn sexy I just hate Merc new headlights design they are trying too hard to make them unique.
I wish Marc. to make a new CLK GTR that car was legendary

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Reminds me of the Chrysler Crossfire. I hated the Chrysler Crossfire.

I was expecting something radically different for some reason. I don't like it, it seems too similar to the SLS. In terms of design, Porsche is simple better to me. Also, the Porsche may beat this thing down on track.

PSYGN

The general mold of the car looks a little old school, but the details and lines look modern.

TxdoHawk

Not in love with the look...but it doesn't really matter, I'd never be able to afford one of these likely (and these high-end coupes never seem to have enough legroom for my needs.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I like it kind of. I much prefer the new squared off language, the interior is bonkers and almost objectively overdone, but I can see the appeal.

To the dude saying it's a GT car and therefore nothing like a Porsche - Porsche is one of the most famous builders of "cruising" GT cars.

And by all accounts this Mercedes handles great, but handling is in itself subjective otherwise we wouldn't have any rear wheel drive cars.

Weird story: Once saw a dude, thought he was a valet because he was young and handsome, park the AMG SLS in a swank Hollywood private club/restuarant. He soldified the impression he was a handsome employee by holding the elevator and front door for me and my colleague, then genially and politely enquired how we were doing. I almost tipped him because he was so nice. Lucky I didn't because I suddenly realized it was Team Jacob out of Twilight.

He's in my list of super nice Hollywood celebs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom