• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have a Syrian refugee problem in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many people in this great country want to help them and the government can't seem to keep up, so private groups are banding together. The NY Times just wrote an article, it's heart warming and well worth reading.

Across Canada, ordinary citizens, distressed by news reports of drowning children and the shunning of desperate migrants, are intervening in one of the world’s most pressing problems. Their country allows them a rare power and responsibility: They can band together in small groups and personally resettle — essentially adopt — a refugee family. In Toronto alone, hockey moms, dog-walking friends, book club members, poker buddies and lawyers have formed circles to take in Syrian families. The Canadian government says sponsors officially number in the thousands, but the groups have many more extended members.

Just across the border, however, the Canadian government can barely keep up with the demand to welcome them. Many volunteers felt called to action by the photograph of Alan Kurdi, the Syrian toddler whose body washed up last fall on a Turkish beach. He had only a slight connection to Canada — his aunt lived near Vancouver — but his death caused recrimination so strong it helped elect an idealistic, refugee-friendly prime minister, Justin Trudeau.

“I can’t provide refugees fast enough for all the Canadians who want to sponsor them,” John McCallum, the country’s immigration minister, said in an interview.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/w...t-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Kyuur

Haha, amazing. Proud of my countrymen. If I had the money to do so I would gladly sponsor a family as well.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Almost half of canadians don't want them here.

Trying to make this as a "Canadians are too nice" narrative is BS.

? I don't know if these two points conflict. Around 40% of Canadians asked earlier this year apposed this (and that was dropped from around 50%, as in, we've collectively warmed to the idea, maybe even more so since).

Of those who want them here a significant amount are volunteering a lot of their time and money to help.

I don't know about too nice, but this is something to be proud of.

Futureman

? I don't know if these two points conflict. Around 40% of Canadians asked earlier this year apposed this (and that was dropped from around 50%, as in, we've collectively warmed to the idea, maybe even more so since).

I guess they don't conflict but if you just read the OP I think it would give a skewed sense of what people think about Syrian refugees in Canada.

One of my Canadian fiends shared a story about how one of her cousin's family was taken in during the Vietnam War by a Candian family and now that she is grown up, she is adopting a Syrian family in kind of a 'pay it forward' manner. It was very heartwarming.

John Blade

Umm....that is the wrong news for that title. You should use this news article as it match well for the title.

Report: Adult Refugees Enrolled In Canadian High School, Harassing Young Girls

Emails between school officials at one Canadian high school reveal the school has been struggling to integrate into the school adult Syrian refugees, who reportedly are bullying and threatening students and teachers, as well as making advances on young teenage girls.

One email from the head of the school’s international students department expressed concern that the Brussels attack would have a “trickle down” effect on the refugee students.

After receiving a tip about Fredericton High School in New Brunswick, Canada — a region that has been aggressively resettling thousands of Syrian refugees — Canadian news organization TheRebel submitted a freedom of information request to the school, asking for any information regarding problems the school might be having with the integration of Syrian immigrants.
TheRebel received more than 2,700 documents from the school in response to their request. Because of the sheer number of emails, the organization is breaking the story up into several reports this week on their show “The Hunt” with reporter Faith Goldy.

One email, Goldy reported on Monday, said that 19 and 20-year-old Syrian migrants were aggressively confronting teachers, “particularly when it comes to the girls in the class, and also bullying the others in the class.”

One school employee reported “issues surrounding gender/age divisions that seems important to our Syrian population – especially these older boys when it comes to their younger sisters.”

Another email reported that students were offended that the refugees were using sexually explicit language in front of their female classmates.

Monday’s report also included one teacher expressing concern about the refugees’ repeated bullying of a Jewish student.

Tuesday’s report included an email from the head of Fredericton’s international student department to several school employees (including the school principal) on the day of the Brussel terror attacks, warning that “today’s events in Europe may have a trickle down effect in our wing for students of a certain culture. There is a lot of energy or excitement with the students that we should be mindful of.”

Another email stated that one refugee identified rocket-propelled grenades (RPG’s) as one of his hobbies. A survey of the refugees revealed that just under 20 percent approved of marital rape and forced abortions.

The tip that led originally TheRebel to investigate contained a Facebook post from a Fredericton parent saying that refugees as old as 22 “with full beards and better built than the hockey team” are enrolled in the school, where they try “hitting on the 14-15 year old girls of that year, but are being brushed off.”

The parent added that the Syrians “have started on the girls in the year below who they are having success with. It’s really ugly, the Canadian boys are very frustrated but are too scared to speak up (they know how dangerous the ‘you’re a racist’ label will be for the rest of their lives).”

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/28/r...n-canadian-high-school-harassing-young-girls/

We shouldn't let this refugee come into our country as we can see what they're doing in Europe and how it affect there. We should have some control of how many refugees we should able to take in and also check they past to see if any of them have any terrorist link as we don't want them in our country. We only need those who will help contribute into this country society than become a burden here. *
Joke post

Kurdel

Banned
I guess they don't conflict but if you just read the OP I think it would give a skewed sense of what people think about Syrian refugees in Canada.

Yeah.

It's easy to say X Y Z are canadian values, but after lookig at the Brexit, denying the more toxic ideas because our side is in power is maybe more dangerous than we previously thought.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Yeah.

It's easy to say X Y Z are canadian values, but after lookig at the Brexit, denying the more toxic ideas because our side is in power is maybe more dangerous than we previously thought.

Who's denying toxic ideas? We're encouraging and celebrating the good stuff. You think by going around tut tutting at people for not supporting refugees we're going to change their minds? Talking about how wonderful and proud we are of those dedicating themselves to support the refugees is the best way to fight these toxic ideas.

knkng

I think a lot of the problem is that Stephen Harper's government was pushing racism as part of his campaign. Now, I realize that many people feel that way regardless, so I'm not using that as an all-encompassing scapegoat, but when political leaders are pushing agendas it can have powerful effects. Already (as shown with the shift in percentages), now that many refugees are arriving, people seem to be realizing that it's not as big of a deal as they initially thought and are softening to the idea.

I can think of a small handful of people from my personal experience who were initially against the refugee intake, and are now somewhere between accepting and indifferent, which is a positive direction regardless of the overall percentages.

Kyuur

Yeah.

What? Brexit happened because the government acknowledged toxic ideas. We should absolutely do everything to deny and quash them, even if it doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation. The loudest voices set the stage.

darscot

I think one thing that people from other places don't get about Canada is that we don't draw battle lines in stone over issues or politics. Lots of people have negative initial reactions to change but they don't decide this is the hill we die on over issues. You don't pledge allegiance to a political party for life. We like stories about change, we like positive things on the news. I think most Canadians have it pretty fucking good and they have had it good for a long time so they basically accept that shit is good. Fear mongering is very short term because people just get tired of it, it just hard to be manipulated through fear when you know you have it better than most. We are very much, you get more bees with honey, type of nation. Harper found that out the hard way.

What? Brexit happened because the government acknowledged toxic ideas. We should absolutely do everything to deny and quash them, even if it doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation. The loudest voices set the stage.
The areas were a lot of people voted for the Brexit and hold those ideas have been ignored by government, or at least the people there feel that way. That should certainly be handled and fixed.

gabbo

Umm....that is the wrong news for that title. You should use this news article as it match well for the title.

Report: Adult Refugees Enrolled In Canadian High School, Harassing Young Girls

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/28/r...n-canadian-high-school-harassing-young-girls/

We shouldn't let this refugee come into our country as we can see what they're doing in Europe and how it affect there. We should have some control of how many refugees we should able to take in and also check they past to see if any of them have any terrorist link as we don't want them in our country. We only need those who will help contribute into this country society than become a burden here. *
Joke post

How reliable a news source is this?

It's a site run by Tucker Carlson, and it cites The Rebel, so...
Yeah but at the same time, people use the same to brush aside Rotterham and all the Pakistani grooming of white girls scandal.

The source is sketchy (and indeed I didn't found any serious source).
Is it possible to find the original FOI request?

Akiraptor

This is an incredibly scary line of thought. Ideas should never be suppressed, no matter how "toxic." That's the road to tyranny.

Senoculum

I think one thing that people from other places don't get about Canada is that we don't draw battle lines in stone over issues or politics. Lots of people have negative initial reactions to change but they don't decide this is the hill we die on over issues. You don't pledge allegiance to a political party for life. We like stories about change, we like positive things on the news. I think most Canadians have it pretty fucking good and they have had it good for a long time so they basically accept that shit is good. Fear mongering is very short term because people just get tired of it, it just hard to be manipulated through fear when you know you have it better than most. We are very much, you get more bees with honey, type of nation. Harper found that out the hard way.

Nicely said. I love Toronto because it's one of the most youthful cities in the world; lots of peace-loving, like-minded people. I see lots of ambition, and there's a lot of charity work/events that happen in the city. We also love booze and marajuana.

What's not to be proud of?

This is an incredibly scary line of thought. Ideas should never be suppressed, no matter how "toxic." That's the road to tyranny.
Pretty sure he means via productive discourse and education among individuals rather then government stamping out free speech and jailing people.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
That's not what happened though.

On the flip side, governments should attempt to moderate extreme views as part of convention and decorum. We have representative democracies, not direct democracies. Tyranny is no good, but neither is tyranny of the majority.

Slime

Banned

-Minsc-

The site references range from Ann Coulter to TheRebel... so it's reliable if you're into xenophobia and guns.

Sometimes phobias can be valid. Letting people into our homes, whether it's from outside the country or from within, can be dangerous. Not everyone has the fortitude to take on such a risk. I do understand though that things would more than likely be better if more people would take on the risk.

Ah yes, the bury-head-in-sand approach. Hasn't worked out that well for the various left-wing parties in Europe, has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom