• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We Need To Talk About Cyber-Bullying.

I don't know about cyber-bullying, but the average quality of discussion has gone down in the last 2 months or so. Shitposting is definitely more frequent. Seems like people either take things too seriously or not at all. I just lurk from time to time, anyways. Basically come here for clownworld thread and off-site drama.
be the change you want to see comrade.

TrainedRage

Banned
Let’s go
Sorry I don't bully formerly cool posters.

*punches "weeb wannabe" in the throat and runs off*

giphy.gif

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Are you talking about so-called shitposting or the call for more mod flexing? What will happen if @Birdo gets his way is jokes will start getting labelled shitposts by anyone who either has no sense of humour or can’t keep up (recent examples: @Contica aka Edamame and @gatti-man). People who can’t keep up (aka compete) have a tendency to resort to underhanded, authoritarian tactics like silencing those who can. Then people will start getting banned for jokes that were incorrectly labelled shitposts and the forum meta will shift towards callout culture and demonising anyone with a sense of humour as a shitposter. In this case, you’ve just handed all the power back to the fragile Ree types. Do you want @Cunth banned? This is how you get Cunth banned.

You’ve got it completely backwards: the 2014-2017 snowball happened because humour was squashed under the boot heel of feminine inclusion and masculine enforcement of social order was demonized. It didn’t happen because of bullying and shitposting. The solution is not more mod flexing; it’s allowing the forum to rid itself of fragility so that “bullying” isn’t necessary. Take my dismissive joke at gatti-man’s expense here. I’ll use myself so no one else gets dragged in. This is the kind of thing that would be labelled a bullying shitpost, but that would be missing the point. He came into the thread but left his sense of humour at the door and had nothing to add but negativity and fragility. If he doesn’t like the topic, he can just ignore it. But that’s not what he does — he has to let everyone know how superior he is for being super serious and unable to self-deprecate. A simple jab and a few laughs at his expense let him know he’s overstepped the line. If he’s not a broken narcissist, he will recognise it and adapt to fit in. To label this bullying would be extremely low resolution thinking and would miss the point that his actions preceded it, and despite what you were taught in the feminised schooling system, who started it does indeed matter.

A true bully offers no recourse. They’re not asking him to adapt and fit in; they want to exile, likely to satisfy their own pathologies. On the internet, these are the Blue Checkmark Ree types, not GAF shitposters clowning around, often with themselves as the butt of the joke. Don’t conflate the two and don’t call for more mod flexing because that will have unintended consequences. It’s like we just rid ourselves of communism and everyone is revelling in the newfound freedom, but then there’s a generational switch and the new generation is a bit more sensitive to the warts of freedom so they start calling for more communism. They’re ignorant of history and will repeat the mistakes of the past.

P.S. All this concern for a troll thread made to farm reactions.

You think calling me Edamame is going to hurt my feelings or something?

I'm vegan you silly little boy.

:messenger_heart:

GymWolf

Sometimes i'm kinda of a jackass (but always in a joking way), let me now if i'm too heavy with some jokes but don't take me seriously, i just love to make people laugh even if sometimes some jokes don't land properly (or at all)

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sometimes i'm kinda of a jackass (but always in a joking way), let me now if i'm too heavy with some jokes but don't take me seriously, i just love to make people laugh even if sometimes some jokes don't land.
I have to echo this. If I poke fun at someone on GAF it's only once I've built up a rapport with them, or because they seem like a good person and can take a joke. Very rarely am I malicious with my comments, unless someone is being a dick first.

Top Bottom