• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weasel Apparently Shuts Down the Large Hadron Collider at CERN

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

NPR: "Weasel Apparently Shuts Down World's Most Powerful Particle Collider"
A small mammal has sabotaged the world's most powerful scientific instrument.

The Large Hadron Collider, a 17-mile superconducting machine designed to smash protons together at close to the speed of light, went offline last night. Engineers investigating the mishap found the charred remains of a furry creature near a gnawed-through power cable.

"We had electrical problems, and we are pretty sure this was caused by a small animal," says Arnaud Marsollier, head of press for CERN, the organization that runs the $7 billion particle collider in Switzerland. Although they had not conducted a thorough analysis of the remains, Marsollier says they believe the creature was "a weasel, probably."
Unfortunately, Marsollier says, scientists will have to wait while workers bring the machine back online: "It may be mid-May."

These sorts of mishaps are not unheard of, says Marsollier. The LHC is located outside of Geneva. "We are in the countryside, and of course we have wild animals everywhere." There have been previous incidents, including one in 2009, when a bird is believed to dropped a baguette onto critical electrical systems.

Nor are the problems exclusive to the LHC: In 2006, raccoons conducted a "coordinated" attack on a particle accelerator in Illinois.

It is unclear whether the animals are trying to stop humanity from unlocking the secrets of the universe.

v6FE0em.png
http://indico.cern.ch/event/506407/.../attachments/1265776/1873815/LHC_29042016.pdf

Edit: Picture
Here's a picture of the poor guy:

Crispy animal link

Source: I work at CERN, this came up in meetings today.
Might be a marten.

Ishida

Banned
"There have been previous incidents, including one in 2009, when a bird is believed to dropped a baguette onto critical electrical systems."

Nature is giving us a message here, guise.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
A true hero. Never shall we know the future that he spared us from.

kami_sama

LOL. I hope it doesn't mean we have to re-start the whole cryogenics process.
Last time, i think it took almost a year.

Not

Banned
What a way to go

Taking down the world's most powerful scientific instrument with you

Albeit briefly

The weasel society sent it to protect the world from the upright walking barbarians and their micro black hole making death machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom