• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weather Reports the Temp in Hell is -0 Degrees. The Uncharted Movie is Filming

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Is he playing a young Drake or something? Really don’t see him in the role to be honest unless this is some origin story or something like that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I do like the choice of Tom Holland for Nate. I really do.
He could get a nice 10 year run on the character

Assuming the first movie doesn't suck, which it likely will.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
pyZVPSB.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
I like Tom, but he's a 24 year old who looks and plays 17 year old characters. He looks too young and I have a hard time he will ever look right as an older Nathan.

And Mark Whalberg? The casting for this is pretty mediocre, along with the director and the writers. I smell a big dud.

I like Tom, but he's a 24 year old who looks and plays 17 year old characters. He looks too young and I have a hard time he will ever look right as an older Nathan.

And Mark Whalberg? The casting for this is pretty mediocre, along with the director and the writers. I smell a big dud.

It's gonna have to be an origin story. Holland could easily be a young Nate like he was in UC4 flashbacks

I can't understand Marky Mark as Sully at all though

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Mark wahlberg is a terrible actor with no funny chemistry with any other actor, so him as Sully is a HUUUGE miscast. Remember that other game movie he was in, Max Payne? Terrible shitty movie with horrible acting.

Tom Holland as Nathan Drake is way too young, and he doesn't have that Hollywood clout that a big star like Nathan Drake warrants.

Say what you will about Angelina's tomb raider, she looked like the character and her star power gave the movie more weight.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I mean, if the movies take place between the games or something it would be a very bad fit, you never know, bad casting choices are a thing.

Do we have an idea of the timeline for this movie?
He's obviously playing a young Drake. Is it really that hard to figure out?

Last edited:

Valentino

Are they doing drakes fortune? Or before that? Are they considering it canon? I assume they’ve got them playing young versions so in a few years they’ll grow older and they can work their way up to the games storylines. I mean of course they’ve already planned 7 sequels and a spin off movie and a game based on the movie and some non canon side story books!

Last edited:

Fbh

I still don't like the young Drake concept. Also I hope I'm wrong but I half expect Holland to just play a less nerdy version of his Peter Parker, with Sully taking over the "mentor" role from Tony Stark.

Not to mention it's 2020 and it's a videogame franchise known for over the top setpiece moments (and it's Sony pictures which isn't great either) so I expect a ton of distractingly fake CGI and Green screen scenes.
A whole movie of a slightly better version of this:
ZiMSJKh.gif

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
He's obviously playing a young Drake. Is it really that hard to figure out?
Well you couldn’t even come up with a smart answer yourself since you don’t seem to know either, so no, I still stand that bad castings are a thing until we know more anything is possible.
Also, there were much better options than him even though he might be popular right now because of Spider-Man.

Alot of you are overthinking this. This will be some Jumanji type of audience movie, with some Indiana Jones nostalgia. Hope to use the actor for atleast 2 movies, then use a older actor after.

kiphalfton

I'm sure Tom Holland will begin talking about the video games in vague detail, saying he loves them (if he hasn't already). Gotta get that PR cred.

I mean FFS games and movies need to stay in their own lane. It's never generally good when a game is made into a movie or a movie is made into a game. On top of that, you then have these phony comments about how the actors always been a huge fan of the source material, blah blah blah.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Well you couldn’t even come up with a smart answer yourself since you don’t seem to know either, so no, I still stand that bad castings are a thing until we know more anything is possible.
Also, there were much better options than him even though he might be popular right now because of Spider-Man.

It’s a prequel to Uncharted 1. Their first outing.

Yoboman

Tom is a great choice as a younger Drake, and is a huge star now. They hit the jackpot signing him on to this a few years ago before he hit mainstream

The rest of the movie seems like a mixed bag. Marky Mark as Sully is a miscast, but from everything I've read he has a real passion for the project and seems like the one pushing it forward for years. Apparently Antonio Banderas is in the movie?

The director is Ruben Fleischer who is okay for popcorn flicks, but I can't think of any sort of memorable action set pieces in his films. His best movie was Zombieland. Venom possibly his biggest, I haven't seen it though

The writer has a really bad resume. Joe Carnahan, has the likes of the A Team reboot and Bad Boys for life to his credit. His best movie seems to be the Grey with Liam Neeson which I enjoyed except the writing. It literally has a close up and cut to black ending before the main set piece of the movie

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Of course, the best way to do a movie adaptation of a very popular video game is to base it on the small, somewhat forgettable flashback sequence from the third game in the series.

Sigh.

This movie is going to suck, because they clearly have no idea why Uncharted is so popular, and are just giving Tom Holland a new starring vehicle. Nobody involved has a great pedigree, Naughty Dog don’t appear to be involved at all, and it keeps getting pushed back over and over again.

24% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom