• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly Jump to have latest Dragon Quest scoops for five straight issues

brinstar

I'm ready to buy all of it

if SE lets me :__;

EDIT: Wait has there really been hints to a DQV PS4 remake?! That would blow my mind. DQV is my absolute favorite.

Saphirax

I'm ready to buy all of it

if SE lets me :__;

EDIT: Wait has there really been hints to a DQV PS4 remake?! That would blow my mind. DQV is my absolute favorite.

Next Weekly Jump teased a big title reveal and hinted it'd be DQ V related.

A DQ remake for ps4 has been mentioned, but we don't know which one. So it seems probable it'd be V. Guess we'll find out this Thursday when the magazine info leaks.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Next Weekly Jump teased a big title reveal and hinted it'd be DQ V related.

A DQ remake for ps4 has been mentioned, but we don't know which one. So it seems probable it'd be V. Guess we'll find out this Thursday when the magazine info leaks.

Yeah, it'll surely leak in just a few days.

Bitanator

I'd love a remake of Dragon Quest V it is my all time favorite jrpg, planning on playing through the PS2 version again soon

They just asked Horii in that interview about a DQ3 remake and I just can't think about any other getting the full-blown remake treatment anymore. I'm set for disappointment, thank you random interviewer.

Btw, we're still missing DQ7 mobile, could pop up.

randomkid

The only one I would like to see re-made is 4, since I really can't stand that DQ7/DS-remake engine. I suppose it might also be nice to have a mobile version of DQ3 with animated monsters too.

DQ6 is already great on Super Famicom and DQ5 is already wonderful on PS2, although it would be nice for people who don't want to patch the fan translations of those to be able to easily play something closer to those versions.

The only one I would like to see re-made is 4, since I really can't stand that DQ7/DS-remake engine. I suppose it might also be nice to have a mobile version of DQ3 with animated monsters too.

I liked the updated 4 look myself. I thought heartbeat did a good job.

DQ6 is already great on Super Famicom and DQ5 is already wonderful on PS2, although it would be nice for people who don't want to patch the fan translations of those to be able to easily play something closer to those versions

Sadly the DQVI translation on the snes was never finished, so while it's pretty much playable (I think it stalled at like 95%, which is weird), some dialogue near the end is missing. Like the last time you go back to lifecod for story reasons. I remember the hero's sister talking hex gibberish

They just asked Horii in that interview about a DQ3 remake and I just can't think about any other getting the full-blown remake treatment anymore. I'm set for disappointment, thank you random interviewer.
While he said they had nothing like FF7R in the works, he added in the next sentence they had a little something coming up (paraphrasing).

If we're still guessing on what else might get announced, I'm going to put a post down for a new Torneko no Daibouken game or some other Mystery Dungeon with DQ characters. It's been a while since they've done a DQ themed Mystery Dungeon game, it would be really cheap to make, and would fit with their "let's launch a million Dragon Quest games" policy they seem to have adopted.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so dq8 in the first number
dq builders in the second

Id bet on

dq heroes 2, dq monster and dq 11 from now on

Raw64life

DQV is pretty much the last DQ that needs another remake. I'd rather see them just start over and remake I and II again.

DQV is pretty much the last DQ that needs another remake. I'd rather see them just start over and remake I and II again.

I agree. A way to play DQ 1 - 3 on modern systems would be very nice. Even ports of the mobile versions with the pixel scaling fixed and button controls would be pretty awesome. I'm getting kinda tired of recommending the GBC versions; they're good but soooo many people are just not willing to do GameBoy.

Edit: Or even Virtual Console / PS Classics releases of everything.

crinale

DQ 1-3 are on many systems. DQ 4 & 5 are already re-made twice.
DQ 6 was remade only once. Same goes to DQ 7 & 8 but those are a bit too recent.

That leaves DQ 9 to be only mainline DQ that never got proper remake..

DQ 1-3 are on many systems. DQ 4 & 5 are already re-made twice.
DQ 6 was remade only once. Same goes to DQ 7 & 8 but those are a bit too recent.

That leaves DQ 9 to be only mainline DQ that never got proper remake..

9 isn't that old though. Wasn't it a 2010 game?

That said, I still can't figure out why 5 is so popular. I greatly preferred 4 and 6.

I'm beginning to think that DQ11 won't be revealed by Jump. Maybe they'll reveal it this year, but if it's not coming out next year for the anniversary and they just want to have a bunch of other stuff released to celebrate, then they would focus on announcing those first.

So far we have:
Week 1: Dragon Quest 8 deets
Week 2: Dragon Quest Builders
Week 3: Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3 announced

Here's what I think could be likely for the remainder, in order of most likely to least likely
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 2 details
  • Torneko no Daibouken 4 announce
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 3 announce
  • Dragon Quest IX remake for 3DS announce
  • New Itadaki Street featuring DQ Characters
  • Some other new spinoff (DQ Monster Hunter clone? DQ no Mori? DQ Kart? DQ FPS? Gyakuten Saiban X DQ?)
For the DQ9 remake, I know it's only been a few years but that game could use an update with proper 3DS streetpass support and new online features now that Nintendo WiFi Connection is dead. It would probably not be a lot of work and would likely sell gangbusters, and if DQ11 isn't coming to 3DS could be a good way to capitalize on that system while they still can. Plus you know... remaking 3 at a time is kind of a DQ thing.

For existing speculation, I don't think an 'HD' remake/remaster of DQ8 is very likely to be announced in the next few weeks, as they would probably do that after the release of DQ8 3DS to avoid cannibalizing sales. I also don't think a remaster of DQ5 PS2 is very likely to happen at all; that game is fairly rough in the model/animation department and would require a lot of work to be considered "acceptable" that you don't typically see in remasters.

Edited!

crinale

9 isn't that old though. Wasn't it a 2010 game?

That said, I still can't figure out why 5 is so popular. I greatly preferred 4 and 6.

Verendus did say one of old entries are coming to PS so.. does that make it 6? I thought 5 may be good fit because they already made some HD models on DQH.

KiTA

DQ Tactics? We haven't had a DQ SRPG, might be a nice change of pace.

If I had one wish for a HD remake -- the Roto trilogy. All 3 / 4
with Caravan Heart
games. Make it for the WiiU or PS4 with versions for 3DS/Vita that support savegame sharing. Play in HD, then when yuou want to head out, transfer to your portable.

Heck, a HD monsters game would be neat too.

Aeana

If any game needs proper remake attention, it's 6. It's the only one that got totally shafted in its remake.

DQ Tactics? We haven't had a DQ SRPG, might be a nice change of pace.

DQ Wars on DSiWare was a tPRG:

dragon-quest-wars-dsiware-screenshots.jpg

Busaiku

Wait, so the Builders announcement wasn't the first?
Dang, I was thinking 5 weeks of announcements.

I imagine 1 week might be used for the Dragon Quest VII mobile stuff then.

Aeana

What is wrong with it?

Let's start with how it is identical to DQ4 and 5 DS. It's the only remake without its own identity. Note that DQ4 was remade in DQ7's engine for PSX first, and DQ5 was remade for PS2 first. It also did not receive very many remake-level enhancements like the other remakes did. Most of the changes made to it are downgrades over the original version.

I'd even say DQ VI on SFC is up to par with even Chrono Trigger and FF VI.
It's really rated up there for me in the SFC era.

So seeing what they did with the DS and ios version is pretty depressing.

On the up side, most people can check it out now, although their experience will most probably taint it as being subpar.

crinale

If any game needs proper remake attention, it's 6. It's the only one that got totally shafted in its remake.

Well 6 was remade only once, so it may get another chance.. some day.
The best thing DQ6 DS version did is it officially declared canonical chronological connection from DQ4 thru (6, 4 then 5).

crinale

So it is DQMJ3 for 3DS..finally.
Every week something new gets announced (although this was known for a while).

I'm beginning to think that DQ11 won't be revealed by Jump. Maybe they'll reveal it this year, but if it's not coming out next year for the anniversary and they just want to have a bunch of other stuff released to celebrate, then they would focus on announcing those first.

So far we have:
Week 1: Dragon Quest 8 deets
Week 2: Dragon Quest Builders
Week 3: Dragon Quest Monster Joker 3 announced

Here's what I think could be likely for the remainder, in order of most likely to least likely
  • Dragon Quest Heroes 2 details
  • Torneko no Daibouken 4 announce
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 3 announce
  • Dragon Quest IX remake for 3DS announce
  • New Itadaki Street featuring DQ Characters
  • Some other new spinoff (DQ Monster Hunter clone? DQ no Mori? DQ Kart? DQ FPS? Gyakuten Saiban X DQ?)
For the DQ9 remake, I know it's only been a few years but that game could use an update with proper 3DS streetpass support and new online features now that Nintendo WiFi Connection is dead. It would probably not be a lot of work and would likely sell gangbusters, and if DQ11 isn't coming to 3DS could be a good way to capitalize on that system while they still can. Plus you know... remaking 3 at a time is kind of a DQ thing.

For existing speculation, I don't think an 'HD' remake/remaster of DQ8 is very likely to be announced in the next few weeks, as they would probably do that after the release of DQ8 3DS to avoid cannibalizing sales. I also don't think a remaster of DQ5 PS2 is very likely to happen at all; that game is fairly rough in the model/animation department and would require a lot of work to be considered "acceptable" that you don't typically see in remasters.

Edited!

DQH2 details is the solid bet for next week at this point.

That's a bit disappointing. At least, it does look like a new RPG. I'll be annoyed if all the buildup was to DQH2 lol.
DQH2 teaser seemed way too early, even if they announce it right now its a bit of full(omega)-force milking. Although it'd be weird to have so many anniversary announcements out already skipping DQH2 when its real and surely coming next year alongside the others.

I wonder if next week will just be the announcement of a DQ event =P

Anyway, I'm still surprised it was actually one game for each week. That's pretty cool.

Top Bottom