• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weirdest creepiest movie you ever saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahul

Every Stanley Kubrick film ever.

The ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey was creepy as hell and left me totally confused.

This freaked me out for years after I saw the movie when I was 9:

hnn.jpg

Also:

Habla Con Ella
Bad Timing
I Origins (one scene in particular)
Dogville
Agora

Melchiah

Man you guys are a bunch of wussies. I watch stuff like Cannibal Holocaust(my favorite film) and Martyrs for breakfast.

That reminds me, I saw Cannibal Holocaust in the early 90's when I was 15 years old, and held a presentation of it at school, where I showed the infamous castration scene. The teacher wasn't impressed. It's not one of my favorite movies though, as it's too thin on the story side. I prefer Martyrs, and loved its open-to-interpretation ending.

Morgoth

Banned
That reminds me, I saw Cannibal Holocaust in the early 90's when I was 15 years old, and held a presentation of it at school, where I showed the infamous castration scene. The teacher wasn't impressed. It's not one of my favorite movies though, as it's too thin on the story side. I prefer Martyrs, and loved its open-to-interpretation ending.

Did you get suspended? If I pulled that off when I was in High school I would have gotten expelled

I just finished watching "It Follows" and it was pretty awful. 70's throwback does not equal amazing film.

I'm on a mission to find a bunch of these movies in this thread to get genuinely disturbed.

Melchiah

I just finished watching "It Follows" and it was pretty awful. 70's throwback does not equal amazing film.

I'm on a mission to find a bunch of these movies in this thread to get genuinely disturbed.

I haven't seen It Follows yet, but that's pretty much how I felt about The House of the Devil. The 80's feel was nice, but it didn't save the film.

I haven't seen It Follows yet, but that's pretty much how I felt about The House of the Devil. The 80's feel was nice, but it didn't save the film.

Pretty much it was a by the numbers horror film from decades past. Very minimalistic in it's plot and leaves [too] much to interpretation. I feel as this film was trying to be an homage to these older films but I don't feel it worked. If you've never seen past horror films it may be fresh to you. IDK.

Perhaps it is nostalgia that helped it gained good critical review. Maybe I'm an old piece of shit and this isn't new to me.

On the plus side it wasn't filled with jump scares every 10 minutes.

Melchiah

Pretty much it was a by the numbers horror film from decades past. Very minimalistic in it's plot and leaves [too] much to interpretation. I feel as this film was trying to be an homage to these older films but I don't feel it worked. If you've never seen past horror films it may be fresh to you. IDK.

Perhaps it is nostalgia that helped it gained good critical review. Maybe I'm an old piece of shit and this isn't new to me.

On the plus side it wasn't filled with jump scares every 10 minutes.

So, it sounds like it won't be fresh to me, as I'm an old horror hound. ;) I'll have to check it out at some point though, when it becomes available over here. The lack of jump scares, and a plot that's open to interpretation, do sound good though.

Man you guys are a bunch of wussies. I watch stuff like Cannibal Holocaust(my favorite film) and Martyrs for breakfast.

Agreed, I didn't flinch once when I saw Cannibal Holocaust for the first time. I honestly think it's tame compared to many modern horror/gore films because the special effects look so fake (to me anyway). I guess they were fantastic for their time though, seeing as how the Director had to prove that the actors didn't actually die.

Melchiah

Agreed, I didn't flinch once when I saw Cannibal Holocaust for the first time. I honestly think it's tame compared to many modern horror/gore films because the special effects look so fake (to me anyway). I guess they were fantastic for their time though, seeing as how the Director had to prove that the actors didn't actually die.

The animal scenes made me gringe back in the day. I haven't seen the movie in over 20 years though.

According to Wikipedia the scenes weren't faked.
One particular aspect that led to disagreement amongst the crew was the genuine killing of animals. Kerman stormed off the set while the death of the coatimundi was filmed, and Yorke refused to participate in the killing of the pig, which he was originally scripted to execute, leaving the duty to Luca Barbareschi. When it was shot, the squeal of the pig subsequently caused Yorke to botch a long monologue, and retakes were not an option because they had no access to additional pigs. Perry Pirkanen cried after filming the butchering of a turtle, and crew members vomited off camera when a squirrel monkey was killed for the film.

Nizz

OP nailed it with the first post. I was gonna say the same movie, I also watched it as a kid and it freaked me out. I honestly just watched it that first time and never again.

The animal scenes made me gringe back in the day. I haven't seen the movie in over 20 years though.

According to Wikipedia the scenes weren't faked.

Yeah, I do have to admit the animal scenes were tough for me as an animal lover knowing they were killing and kicking around real animals. I think they went a little too far with that shit.

Melchiah

Yeah, I do have to admit the animal scenes were tough for me as an animal lover knowing they were killing and kicking around real animals. I think they went a little too far with that shit.

Same here. It's perhaps the main reason I never watched it again. I've never had problems with such scenes when it comes to humans though. ;)

mokeyjoe

Yep, although I don't think they're quite as bad as sometimes made out they do sour the experience.

Back to thinking of nonviolent weird, creepy films - I should have mentioned Berberian Sound Studios. Although it is about horror films it isn't one in the traditional sense, it's definitely weird and creepy.

Melchiah

Back to thinking of nonviolent weird, creepy films - I should have mentioned Berberian Sound Studios. Although it is about horror films it isn't one in the traditional sense, it's definitely weird and creepy.

I think the film was just ok, but the soundtrack is wonderful.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I recognise that poster, is Enemy worth watching?

I think it is. Really liked it.
The story is amazing, based on a book by Saramago (not sure if its based on or just inspired by).
Acting, directing and the photography are also really amazing.

It's not that weird or creepy but the thing that made me suffer the most in front of a screen was Zodiac, when he assaults the couple. It's based on a real event and fucking Fincher made it feel real. It's the only scene that made me scream "NO!" in front of a movie.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This is also a really weird movie. Got some really creepie scenes.

ichi-post-image.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The scene in Xtro where the guy starts giving the kid's shoulder a blow job was pretty fucking crazy.
The fact that the kids shoulder got an erection was even crazier.

Event Horizon really gave me the creeps though. I didn't watch any horror movies for a while after that.

Some amazing suggestions ITT.
Two that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Cronenberg's SPIDER

Trailer: https://youtu.be/uTe1xiBzAws

Very underrated Cronenberg film. A bizarre, quiet, and just disturbing film. Ralph Fiennes is fantastic (as always). I recommend anyone interested not read anything and just go in blind.

Marebito, by Takashi Shimizu (director of Ju On/The Grudge)

Trailer: https://youtu.be/uV7J8WYETXo

Really eerie, strange film. I blind bought it after reading an interview with Akihiro Imamura (Silent Hill 2 and 4) where he mentioned it as having a disturbing impact on him. Didn't regret it, although it's not a film I sit around and watch often. :p

Coin

Until she turns around and you die of laughter.

This post reminded me of Cronenberg's response when asked what he thinks is the most frightening film:

That’s totally subjective because what frightens some people is like a laugher to somebody else. For each person there might be a different answer to that question. Bambi is a terrifying film for a kid because Bambi’s mother is killed. When you’re a child that’s a terrifying thing. So does that qualify? There’s a movie called Blue Lagoon, which was really scary for me as a kid. It’s kids on a boat, the boat sinks, the parents drown, the kids are alone on the island with a drunken sailor. There’s a scene in a cave with a snake and a skeleton and all that stuff, and that was a scary movie for me. Probably for an adult not so scary.

Then, as an adult, for me, Don’t Look Now, Nic Roeg’s film with Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland. That really got to me, that was very effective film-making, its anticipation of death was so palpable. On the other hand if the person who asked this question saw it maybe it wouldn't have any effect. There’s no absolute universal.

I've never thought of Don't Look Now as being weird, though it does appear to carry that reputation.

Weirdest creepiest movie you ever saw

I've mentioned Visitor Q on this site once in the past. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is something I'd like to erase altogether.

Steamlord

Marebito, by Takashi Shimizu (director of Ju On/The Grudge)

Trailer: https://youtu.be/uV7J8WYETXo

Really eerie, strange film. I blind bought it after reading an interview with Akihiro Imamura (Silent Hill 2 and 4) where he mentioned it as having a disturbing impact on him. Didn't regret it, although it's not a film I sit around and watch often. :p

From what I remember Marebito had a stupid nonsensical plot, but the atmosphere and imagery were top notch.

I've mentioned Visitor Q on this site once in the past. Emperor Tomato Ketchup is something I'd like to erase altogether.

As a Stereolab fan, I kind of feel obligated to see Emperor Tomato Ketchup at some point.
Les Vampires is awesome, btw.

Gusy

Yup, Anticrhist (Lars Von Trier) is right up there.. not particularly gory, but damn... it has a couple of scenes you won't easily forget.

Return to Oz

The movie is aimed at young adults, but it's got some stuff in it that are the things of nightmares. The stop-motion stuff is particularly creepy, but the things that take the cake are these "wheelers". They replace the flying monkies from the first film, and instead are creepy men who skate on their hands and sometimes where scary disguises. As a child, this movie scared the hell out of me.

Return to Oz

The movie is aimed at young adults, but it's got some stuff in it that are the things of nightmares. The stop-motion stuff is particularly creepy, but the things that take the cake are these "wheelers". They replace the flying monkies from the first film, and instead are creepy men who skate on their hands and sometimes where scary disguises. As a child, this movie scared the hell out of me.

Not to mention the witch that turns people to stone, collects the heads of beautiful young women from Oz, and has the ability to wear those heads as her own.

Return to Oz was fucking crazy... and awesome.

From what I remember Marebito had a stupid nonsensical plot, but the atmosphere and imagery were top notch.

My first viewing was filled with confusion, but the more I watched the more I picked up on.
This analysis (from Wiki) certainly presents some neat ideas:

At different points in the film, different explanations are given for what is happening to Masuoka. Early conversations in the film seem to suggest that the underground tunnels and F herself may be a physical manifestation of human ideas. The film repeatedly references dangerous creatures called the Dero who live underground, named after the "detrimental robots" in Richard Sharpe Shaver's A Warning to Future Man. At a later point in the film, it is suggested that Masuoka is insane and delusional, perhaps because he has stopped taking Prozac, and that his delusions have led him to kill innocent people and treat his daughter like an animal. The end of the film offers no concrete explanation.

In their book Lurker in the Lobby: A Guide to the Cinema of H. P. Lovecraft, Andrew Migliore and John Strysik write: "Marebito is a very good film that wears its influences proudly, without suffocating in their embrace. It's neither an adaptation nor an homage, but it swells with inspiration from Lovecraft's work. It's unconventional, free from cliché, and redolent with sinister insinuations that never become clear. You know them only by their shadows

Some amazing suggestions ITT.
Two that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Cronenberg's SPIDER

Trailer: https://youtu.be/uTe1xiBzAws

Very underrated Cronenberg film. A bizarre, quiet, and just disturbing film. Ralph Fiennes is fantastic (as always). I recommend anyone interested not read anything and just go in blind.

Spider is fucking wonderful. Glad to see it mentioned.
Would also like to throw in The Brood, also by Cronenberg. Has extremely creepy moments and themes, awesome effects too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom