• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome "He should've castled" and other chess puns: Kasparov jailed at protest

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7110910.stm

Garry Kasparov jailed over rally

Russian police seize an opposition activist in Moscow 24-11-07
Clashes erupted when activists tried to break through police lines

Scuffles in Moscow
Former world chess champion and Russian opposition figure Garry Kasparov has been jailed for five days.

He and other opposition figures were detained during a rally organised by Mr Kasparov's Other Russia coalition.

Police moved in when protesters marched on the election commission. Mr Kasparov was charged with resisting arrest and organising an unauthorised protest.

The incident came a week before polls which supporters of President Vladimir Putin are widely expected to win.

Other Russia brings together a broad coalition of mainstream politicians, leftists and nationalists, all of whom are opposed to the Kremlin.

Movement growing

About 3,000 protesters attended Saturday's rally, carrying banners and calling for the country to be rid of President Putin.

Gary Kasparov at the Other Russia meeting (30 September 2007)

Mr Kasparov is among the Kremlin's fiercest critics

In speeches, leaders of the movement bitterly criticised the upcoming parliamentary election, saying there was no choice for voters.

The trouble broke out at the end of the rally when about 100 protesters tried to break through police lines.

They began to march to the election commission and were stopped by riot police.

The commission has barred Other Russia candidates from the 2 December election.

The authorities said they had authorised a rally, but not a march.

Attending the protest for the first time was Boris Nemtsov, the leader of one of the mainstream liberal parties, the Union of Right Forces - a sign that the movement is growing, says the BBC's Richard Galpin in Moscow.

Mr Putin stands down when Russia elects a new president in March 2008, as the constitution bars him from seeking a third consecutive term.

He has decided to stand as a parliamentary candidate - which effectively guarantees him a seat in the next parliament.

The Supreme Court has dismissed an opposition complaint against the move.

There's really nothing too interesting unless you are really into Russian politics, but it's kinda cool how this chess giant that could've done nothing else in his life and still been very well off decides to start some shit.

esbern

wasn't this protest barred against walking onto some government building, and then they did and got their dumb asses arrested?

its not like kasparov was busted by putin (if this is true)

Armitage

6ynnb09.jpg

"Oh you didn't think the game was over yet, did you?"

I question Kasparov's motives and ambitions, but there's no way more Putin can be any good so I have to support him by default.

Instigator said:
I question Kasparov's motives and ambitions, but there's no way more Putin can be any good so I have to support him by default.
totally unrelated but why do you change your avatar every week? and why do you like that Russian wolf thing so much?

aztrex said:
He's a junior member, he's still drying the backs of his ears off. Let him find himself and blossom into the fold.
edit: no he's not. Total Posts: 6,466 (5.30 posts per day)

bune duggy said:
totally unrelated but why do you change your avatar every week? and why do you like that Russian wolf thing so much?

He's a junior member, he's still drying the backs of his ears off. Let him find himself and blossom into the fold.

bune duggy said:

Some people use catchphrases, others wait for the opportunity to post another tired owl picture or something, I on the other hand use avatars, most preferably weird, obscure avatars.

And I actually liked the Russian musical as a kid. But only rediscovered it again when I stumbled upon it on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom