• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well, I think the graphical jump between PS4 to PS5, will be the same, between PS3 to PS4!!

HighPoly

Banned
Well, I mean, it's a matter of time... People are disappointed with this generation...

I know we're not playing all those true next gen we've been dreaming, for a long time!

But, take a look at how many newer elements in games we've been playing!

We're running near to native 4K games, 30, 40, 60 and 120FPS... Plus, Ray Tracing...

All games we've been playing are amazing remakes and remastered...
The SSD, and all Geometric elements in games like Ratchet Clank Rift Apart.

AVATAR from UBISOFT is similar to what happened in the beginning of PS4, when we saw Far Cry 4, for the first time...
Let's wait till Far Cry 7...

The most important thing we need to understand is that we've recently went through a pandemic situation!
All amazing next gen games have been postponed!!

Wolverine, Last of Us Part 3, God of War whatever, Ghost of Tsushima 2, Daysgone 2 and these newer ip from ND, Santa Monica and Bend Studios are comming through next years!

Just take a look at how beautiful HELLBLADE 2, and what FABLE showed! Like, the both games will run on the Xbox Series S...

Let's TALK

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
"True next gen" doesn't exist any more. We are now (and will be for the foreseeable future) in the slowly iterative cycle of reaching the widest audience possible and maximizing revenue for IP. There won't be another generation where developers learn to squeeze more out of hardware than anyone thought was possible because the days of coding directly to the hardware are over.

Last edited:

MikeM

I’m happy. I like seeing 120fps modes, uncapped framerates etc. Wish it was standard across the board for every game at 60fps.

My biggest disappointment thus far is that 30fps still exists in 2023.

HighPoly

Banned
"True next gen" doesn't exist any more. We are now (and will be for the foreseeable future) in the slowly iterative cycle of reaching the widest audience possible and maximizing revenue for IP. There won't be another generation where developers learn to squeeze more out of hardware than anyone thought was possible because the days of coding directly to the hardware are over.
I think it's only a specific moment...

The problem is that we all gamers never went through this kind of moments...

Every industry has its crises, I mean, the Car Industry, Military Industry, Communication Industry, Social Media Industry, whatever...

I don't think Sony or Microsoft, or even Nintendo will announce another next gen hardware without an extremely deep study, to bring at least one more significant jump.

They all know what have been making consoles through decades... There are so many technologies waiting to be used, and I'm not talking only about graphics, but the way we play.

Last edited:

Fbh

I liked it better when this gen was about high framerate at decently high resolution.
None of these recent 1080p (or under) 30fps games are worth the hit to performance and image quality.

Also the graphical improvements in general have reached the point of diminishing returns. They obviously can still get better but the increments are smaller while the hardware requirements remain big.
If you had released a game with PS3 launch graphics on Ps4 it would have looked dated as fuck:
2ifP1m.gif

If you released a game with Ps4 launch graphics today it wouldn't win any graphical awards but it honestly wouldn't look out of place either (specially running at something like 1800p 60fps):
34230.gif

34184.gif

Killjoy-NL

Didn't Cerny state during Road to PS5 that this gen we'll see a paradigm shift in game-development, rather than drastically increased visuals for the end-user?

Sounds like this gen is more of a transition, from that persective, which will probably show a bigger leap going into next-gen.

I'm not a game-developer though, so maybe I'm way off with this.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
I liked it better when this gen was about high framerate at decently high resolution.
None of these recent 1080p (or under) 30fps games are worth the hit to performance and image quality.

Also the graphical improvements in general have reached the point of diminishing returns. They obviously can still get better but the increments are smaller while the hardware requirements remain big.
If you had released a game with PS3 launch graphics on Ps4 it would have looked dated as fuck:
2ifP1m.gif

If you released a game with Ps4 launch graphics today it wouldn't win any graphical awards but it honestly wouldn't look out of place either (specially running at something like 1800p 60fps):
34230.gif

34184.gif

As I said, we're running the starting next gen and crossgen games, after three year because of so many problems...

But you need to take in comparison these things below...

nC6HDwf.jpg
0oemKyS.jpg
3VmHxpS.jpg

Starting PS4

wlKTrFx.jpg
1xoGEGl.jpg

lZH1xTy.jpg

As you may see, it depends on your point of view...

The most impressive game from PS4 beginning was Infamous Second Son...

Well, I think we'll get our ''Infamous Second Son'', soon...

Remember, at that time we got Last of Us 1 Remastered running in the exactly same way we're running Last of Us Remake today, that is just the same Last of Us Part 2 Graphics, but with options between Fidelity 30fps or performance 60 fps... Like, Last of Us Part 2 REMASTERED, will be the same case we've got in Last of Us 1, on PS4 FAT. I mean, we played that same PS3 game, but in 1080p 30fps as a Fidelity mode, or 1080 60fps as the performance mode...

So, all PS4 era games we've been playing today in Native/Dynamic 4k 30fps or 1440p/1800p 60fps, are working in pair with we got on PS4 generation, you know?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think it's only a specific moment...

The problem is that we all gamers never went through this kind of moments...

Every industry has its crises, I mean, the Car Industry, Military Industry, Communication Industry, Social Media Industry, whatever...

I don't think Sony or Microsoft, or even Nintendo will announce another next gen hardware without an extremely deep study, to bring at least one more significant jump.

They all know what have been making consoles through decades... There are so many technologies waiting to be used, and I'm not talking only about graphics, but the way we play.
The crisis that the video game industry will have isn't going to be slowdown in next gen "wow" moments. It's going to be instability caused by the cost and time required to make modern games. It's already At the point where the cost to fund big games that won't see a return on investment for 5+ years is pushing studios to sell themselves to publishers where they still run the risk of being shut down if their latest game flops. It's why companies are investing in service games. They can release them faster and iterate while making money.

There's no point where "much study" will be required by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to determine whether to launch a new machine. It's a requirement because technology becomes outdated and gaming leaves them behind. They must do it to stay in business. With the way Sony and Nintendo sell their games they have no choice but to release new hardware if they want to keep earning money since they won't sell their games day 1 anywhere else. Microsoft must release hardware to sell their service vision.

HighPoly

Banned
The crisis that the video game industry will have isn't going to be slowdown in next gen "wow" moments. It's going to be instability caused by the cost and time required to make modern games. It's already At the point where the cost to fund big games that won't see a return on investment for 5+ years is pushing studios to sell themselves to publishers where they still run the risk of being shut down if their latest game flops. It's why companies are investing in service games. They can release them faster and iterate while making money.

There's no point where "much study" will be required by Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo to determine whether to launch a new machine. It's a requirement because technology becomes outdated and gaming leaves them behind. They must do it to stay in business. With the way Sony and Nintendo sell their games they have no choice but to release new hardware if they want to keep earning money since they won't sell their games day 1 anywhere else. Microsoft must release hardware to sell their service vision.

Nice argument!

I'm interested if Sony Studios started to develop some next gen games(PS6)?

I mean, just like Rockstar did with Red Dead Redemption 2 through 7 years, or GTA 6 through more than 10 years??

Skifi28

When? It's been over 3 years and there's already plenty of "next gen" only games. Maybe by year 6? There might be marginal improvements down the road, but that's it. The jump from ps3 to 4 in visuals was huge and immediately apparent. There's no secret sauce, the hardware is already tapped out. Wait for the pro consoles for any big jumps.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying this generation with 60fps on almost everything and lightning fast loading, but the visual jump has been relatively small and in line with the hardware. Aiming for higher framerates instead of fidelity was the right decision as far as I'm concerned, but there's no fairy dust to make miracles happen.

midnightAI

2ifP1m.gif

34230.gif

34184.gif
Decima is a beast no matter the platform

HighPoly

Banned
When? It's been over 3 years and there's already plenty of "next gen" only games. Maybe by year 6? There might be marginal improvements down the road, but that's it. The jump from ps3 to 4 in visuals was huge and immediately apparent. There's no secret sauce, the hardware is already tapped out. Wait for the pro consoles for any big jumps.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying this generation with 60fps on almost everything and lightning fast loading, but the visual jump has been relatively small and in line with the hardware. Aiming for higher framerates instead of fidelity was the right decision as far as I'm concerned, but there's no fairy dust to make miracles happen.
HELLBLADE 2
FABLE
Wolverine
SH2
MGS3

Don't you see the jump?
These games are getting delayed for so many reasons...
But take a look at what they promises...

and PLEASE, check my post answering ReBurn ReBurn

I made some mistakes but already fixed the post

Well, imagine that PS4 already got so many Remastered games from PS3, and didn't make any trick!
Games went at 1080 30fps without any improvements... As I remember... Some games at 60fps, maybe the lighter, cheaper...

Well, check this out

And then we had so many indie games using the power of UE5...
or even Tech Demos, running in real time, showing that we can go beyond GTAV as Matrix Tech Demo did...
I mean, all in real time...

I think the point is we are not getting tricked anymore...
Some developers said in last generations, that it's getting more and more difficult to impress gamers!

Let's give another chance, maybe next year the first SH2 and MGS3 gameplays, or Hellblade 2 gameplays, and the first WOLVERINE in engine trailer...

Don't forget GTAV was just an improvement since the PS3 version, like, that was all PS4 could run back in time!
So don't be afraid if GTA6 make another simple achievements... Cause this game will be bigger, larger, higher, with so many elements, A.I, physics...

Last edited:

SeraphJan

HELLBLADE 2
FABLE
Wolverine
SH2
MGS3

Don't you see the jump?
These games are getting delayed for so many reasons...
But take a look at what they promises...

and PLEASE, check my post answering ReBurn ReBurn

I made some mistakes but already fixed the post

Well, imagine that PS4 already got so many Remastered games from PS3, and didn't make any trick!
Games went at 1080 30fps without any improvements... As I remember... Some games at 60fps, maybe the lighter, cheaper...

Well, check this out

And then we had so many indie games using the power of UE5...
or even Tech Demos, running in real time, showing that we can go beyond GTAV as Matrix Tech Demo did...
I mean, all in real time...

I think the point is we are not getting tricked anymore...
Some developers said in last generations, that it's getting more and more difficult to impress gamers!

Let's give another chance, maybe next year the first SH2 and MGS3 gameplays, or Hellblade 2 gameplays, and the first WOLVERINE in engine trailer...

Don't forget GTAV was just an improvement since the PS3 version, like, that was all PS4 could run back in time!
So don't be afraid if GTA6 make another simple achievements... Cause this game will be bigger, larger, higher, with so many elements, A.I, physics...

Tech demo doesn't represent the final games

Pimpbaa

Wait and see in regards to how good late gen games will be, but I’m not expecting miracles. I’m still seeing very little that couldn’t be done on last gen consoles with lower graphical settings. I ain’t complaining tho, at least we got consoles that are quiet and load fast.

Graphics alone are not compelling enough anymore IMO. Oblivion is still a better use of my time in 2023 than 90% of the AAA slop we get, and I just dumped 30 hours over a weekend into a new Stardew Valley run a few weeks ago.

Put more effort into making better games, instead of prettier games.

Top Bottom