• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We'll never go to Mars

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We'll never go live on Mars. Not ever. Proponents and promoters speak of the need to colonize planets in order to reduce congestion here on earth.
They tell us we could live underground, or in specially built facilities. They say children will be born on Mars.
It's nonsense.
We will never live on a planet where venturing outside would mean certain death. Mars is a place where our bodies would rapidly deteriorate first from the lower gravity and second from the constant bombardment of deadly rays generated by the sun. Scientists know this. But they want "research money" so they promote this fantasy. You want to live in someplace harsh because earth is too crowded?..... Consider the far north.
There is room on every continent that reaches into the arctic. Just pick a spot and colonize - Iceland; Greenland; Canada. Or go south to the Antarctic. Or go underwater if you want a real challenge. Each of those are infinitely cheaper than going to mars. You could go outside and survive and babies could be born. And if you get tired of it you can go home.

Mars?..... Nah. Never. But I'd be interested in your take.

Mars_1.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think we will eventually. Not for pleasure, but for rare minerals. Then you'll have worker settlements develop around that. Then military applications.

Pretty easy to see how a corporation would find it worthy of funding a mining operation worth trillions.

Last edited:
I think we will eventually. Not for pleasure, but for rare minerals. Then you'll have worker settlements develop around that. Then military applications.

Pretty easy to see how a corporation would find it worthy of funding a mining operation worth trillions.
There is plenty of minerals on earth. The point you’re thinking will take many generations to happen. And even if this is the case, tech will evolve and alternative materials will be developed. Recycling will also be a huge thing.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's not impossible.

First, we'd need to establish settlements. That's difficult and I would say a job for robots, but not out of the impossible. The main factor holding this back isn't so much the technology but more the overall cost.

Then we have the issue with the environment. As stated in the OP, a walk outside on Mars in just normal clothing is a death sentence.

So, how about terraforming? Obviously that's a far greater challenge than even forming a basic settlement, but it's not impossible. We don't have the resources or technology for this now, but far in the future, maybe in the next 100-200 years, perhaps we'll have the technology to finally start making Mars livable.

I agree, we wont. Out future isnt space colonization but apocalyptic, war, hunger, poverty, cyberpunk'ish at best.

Depressing, but most likely correct. Humans are tribal and violent by nature.

Humans most likely will never live anywhere but Earth. Maybe short stays on the Moon and Mars but that's as far as it'll go. We're only just about to go back to the Moon after 50+ years. We might land someone on Mars in the next 15-20 years. Earth will always be our home.

With current technology we aren't getting any further than Mars and I think it's a safe bet that will be the case for the next 100 years. We're going to need to see insane advancements to how we can travel and it needs to be more impressive than going from the first plane to launching Starship. If humans want to explore further than Mars or even the Solar System we're going to need to find a way to go a fuck load faster. If we ever get out of the Solar System it'll not be for hundreds of years.

More likely thing to happen is we'll wipe ourselves out or, if we're lucky, set ourselves back a good few hundred years. Climate Change is going to fuck us up over the rest of this century. It's already started but shit will get real in the next 10-20 years. In the year 2100 things could look veeery different. That's if we don't get ourselves into World War 3 and nukes start flying. Have you ever seen the movie Threads? That'll be us. Radiated monkeys.

Last edited:
Maybe short stays on the Moon and Mars

And those short stays will be only for the rich people and corporations. The average human will never get to see Mars, unless maybe as a hired worker to clean the rich peoples garbage. Even for corporations is very far-fetched unless we discover some potential money-making stuff there. Otherwise they're just going to bleed money and no ones gonna do that.

Pejo

"Never" is a long ass time. Considering Humanity has only been in existence for a tiny nano-blip related to the 13 billion years our Galaxy has been around, if we don't manage to snuff ourselves out and continue developing at the rate we have been, I think it's an easy "possible". I don't think the reason will be to get off of earth so much as it will be to mine/gather raw materials and resources so that we can continue to expand without completely fucking earth.

Here's a fun and easy-to-digest video about why it's kinda stupid and how it could be possible.

JohnnyPhats

There is plenty of minerals on earth. The point you’re thinking will take many generations to happen. And even if this is the case, tech will evolve and alternative materials will be developed. Recycling will also be a huge thing.
Yeah, but then the rabid leftist environmentalists would say shit like “YOU ARE RUINING THE ENVIRONMENT ON MARS!!!!!!! STOPPPPPPPP!!!!!”

Mars?..... Nah. Never. But I'd be interested in your take.
You need to catch up with the times, friendo. No one cares about Mars anymore; it's a dog and pony show.

The new hotness is rediscovering the advanced civilization we were before the Younger Dryas wiped out most of humanity and sent us back to hunter gathering. The future is relearning our past - it's below our feet, not in the stars.

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Futaleufu

The biggest hurdle of Columbus journey wasn't technology, it was money.

The only reason mankind hasn't colonized Mars it's because there is no money to be made yet.

GeekyDad

Yeah, this sounds logical. If there are minerals and/or other materials that can feed our needs, I think we'll at the very least establish a mechanical presence there allowing controlled importing/exporting to and fro. Hell, we might even just use it as a dumping ground of sorts, if nothing else.

GreenAlien

I think we will. Well, maybe not Mars. I think huge rotating space stations are the way to go..

It won't do anything to reduce population pressure on earth though either way. It's just to expensive to send humans to space.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Earth exploration
- Lets search for new lands and islands. We'll pack lots of ships with people, supplies and live off the land when we get there. We'll keep in close contact with the home country to send more resources when needed if the new land doesn't have it

Mars exploration
- Oh shit we got issues. Hey NASA or Elon, when's the next supply ship coming?
- "Roger that, the next ship is planned to launch in 3 years. Hold tight"

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
You need to catch up with the times, friendo. No one cares about Mars anymore; it's a dog and pony show.

The new hotness is rediscovering the advanced civilization we were before the Younger Dryas wiped out most of humanity and sent us back to hunter gathering. The future is relearning our past - it's below our feet, not in the stars.

Always Sunny Fx GIF
When I was playing Far Cry Primal, I had a dream where I was a spear-wielding cro-magnon who stumbled upon the dead city of a long-gone, ancient advanced civilization. The city was mostly built into a massive black pyramid with a halo revolving around it. It was a stunning sight.
Had another similar dream, also while playing the game (I'm a very active dreamer). Spear-wielding tribal, except the dream ended up pulling a twist—it was the far future, after the collapse of this civilization.

On the topic of dreams aligning with conspiracies, I once had a dream where the sky was made of LED paneling, and this Earth was the construction of an advanced space-faring human society, after the real Earth was destroyed.

As for reaching Mars, I think it's tough to account for future advancements that could ease space travel. At some point we might just go there for the novelty.

Wildebeest

Science Fiction often has many cheat technologies like artificial gravity that make things possible. I think if you had artificial gravity, then the asteroid belt would start to look more interesting than Mars. But without that, the belt could be colonized by proxy with robots. Mars, I think, is shit.

RAÏSanÏa

Mars is a place where our bodies would rapidly deteriorate first from the lower gravity and second from the constant bombardment of deadly rays generated by the sun. Scientists know this. But they want "research money" so they promote this fantasy.
It seemed those with impartiality who had at least a legit secular western public high school science education knew that colonizing Mars anytime soon was largely hype but were into rockets and went along with the dupe. Knowingly tapping the vain essence with the ever extending reach exceeding grasp for motivation.

Science fiction bears part of the blame for making human adaptation to other worlds/environments seem basic, immediate with easily predictable outcomes that can be overcome to tell a story. However, it makes sense that the fiction needed to focus on philosophical and social development to expand basic human understanding on that level to make way for the possibility while keeping those other considerations simple.

Even minor differences with a completely habitable planet could have consequences on human physical and psychological well-being.

With the recent scientific investigations into panpsychism it may be research into the nature of consciousness that opens interplanetary possibilities.

sono

I am going to agree to differ on this. We are living off planet today

Space station says hi.

Where there is money to be made..

Nester99

Feels like the op is think too small, in our life time? Nope? In the next 1000 years? Absolutely and beyond…. Progress for the sake of progress is one of the driving forces of humanity…

Rival

Gold Member
Humans will eventually find a way to get there and likely in a safe and efficient manner. Technology will eventually advance to the point where it would be like an airplane trip from New York to Sydney. That is if we don’t all kill each here on earth first.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
We’ll never sail that big ass ocean…

Oh wait…

You clearly underestimate the humans curiosity for exploration. As soon as the technology is there, thousands will volunteer to go.
Every Astronaut that was in space over a longer period of time got major problems with eyesight, a long stay on Mars would make you blind. Blind people are not going to build shit on mars.

Imo, until we can shed our mind from our flesh vessels we will not live on mars. Gravity cant be terraformed.

I want humanity to figure out how to build a machine to make the distance to habitable exoplanets not count, and then travel there.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Humans have an uncanny way of figuring things out. We will things into existence. No doubt in my mind that we'll explore further ranges than just the moon someday.

For people saying climate change or war will destroy us before then, again, I point to our ability to figure things out. Even if/when shit hits the fan, there will still be survivors and problem-solvers. Maybe it'll just be the uber-rich, but they're still technically human (barely)

Tired of all the doom and gloom. Seems like the media is trying to make everyone depressed and forget what has been and can be accomplished. Depression is the natural response to the world as it's presented to us. Positivity is hard but doable and worth it.

Bragr

Banned
We ain't that far away from when robots can build structures on Mars. In the next century, there will be a good deal of structures on Mars already, not human-operated, but it's coming.

Humans will eventually go there.

It might not be obvious right now, but there are some good reasons why we need independent human populations on different planets.

Concept of your OP is bad in the first place, as well as the scientists you are referring to.

There is no overpopulation, just cramming of people into specific areas for easier control and handling of the populace over time. There is plenty of space in most countries to move populations or spread them out. The high congestion in mega cities and large metropolitans (many of which were never intended to hold half as many people) is by design, and it's flawed and causes many problems, but it makes things easier for governments.

There's no reason why there's what, 25 million in the greater new york city metro area and 9 million in NYC alone. Absolutely none, and you can apply that to many other cities in the US and several other countries. We've seen intentional disregard for other areas over the decades to shift everyone into a few locations like sardines.

Easy to say over population when you fly planes to visit other metro bubbles with the same problem (or trains, or drive on the highway without stopping anywhere else outside a few shopping centers off the beltway). Then on top of all this the same groups pulling this off are the same ones causing problems in the environment, and also creating problems within these spaces that could be avoided.

There's no need to colonize any planets.

Sakura

Of course we will never colonise Mars. There is no reason to.
If we just wanted resources, it would probably be easier to just mine the asteroid belt, and we could use robots for that anyway, no need for a human settlement.

If we did eventually have the technology to terraform an entire planet, and we wanted to colonise another planet because of reasons like preserving the human species, then still, why would we choose Mars? Terraforming would be an incredibly long process. It would probably make more sense to go to another star system with a more hospitable planet that needs less terraforming (if any at all). For example, the Alpha Centauri system is only about 4 light years away.

Top Bottom