• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well this is fucking cool! (Neo fami)

Drexon

Banned
Just surfin around, found this:

PA.04643.001.jpg

PA.06082.001.jpg

• Famicom compatible gaming console
• Plays Japanese 8-bit Famicom games
• Includes 2 Joypads
• Compact size
• Ideal for all classical video game fans and collectors
• From the Japanese manufacturer Gametech

I freaking want one, right now. And if someone made a chip, and it costed $150, I'd buy it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Dark one's cooler. I wonder if they are more reliable than your typical bootleg console.

It's like 4000y in Japan. I'm quite happy with my last generation "new model" NES pad, but the NeoFami's pretty stylish as bootleg hardware goes.

The official website has a compatibility list. No serious problems, and hey, even Nintendo's "new model" has some backwards compatibility issues with the original red-and-cream.

cvxfreak

Why is Nintendo allowing this product on Japanese store shelves? I noticed this product too, even in corporate Japanese stores. Guess Nintendo doesn't really care about 'em.

Sorta off topic but still... when did Nintendo stop producing Famicom hardware. I thought it was ages ago, but I keep reading things that state that they stop only recently. Can someone please explain?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FortNinety said:
Sorta off topic but still... when did Nintendo stop producing Famicom hardware. I thought it was ages ago, but I keep reading things that state that they stop only recently. Can someone please explain?

Yeah, I think you're right...I remember reading not so long ago about the last Famicom ever to be manufactured rolling off the production line.

edit - here's a relevant link..i think it dates to late last year: http://forums.mogusland.com/archive/index.php/t-4380.html

GDGF

Soothsayer
Another question. Is it fairly easy to get a boxed Famicom or Super Famicom. I'd like one just for it's historic value (that and the fact that they look cool)

Are they still available in used japanese game stores? Are they really expensive (as far as old hardware goes)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lost Weekend said:
Another question. Is it fairly easy to get a boxed Famicom or Super Famicom. I'd like one just for it's historic value (that and the fact that they look cool)

Are they still available in used japanese game stores? Are they really expensive (as far as old hardware goes)

Ebay usually has a good supply, and they're not that expensive, but I'm sure high quality ones fetch a pretty penny. I'm in the same position as you..I'd really love a mint, boxed Famicom/NES just as a collector's piece. I think I saw one mint Famicom on Ebay before, but I haven't looked in a while..

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Lost Weekend said:

I definitely saw boxed Super Famicoms in Akihabara. Even had a bunch of games too (most of which were unboxed...stuff like FFV, FF VI, and some other good stuff that I don't remember right now). I don't think they were all that expensive, but I really don't remember now. I also can't remember if they had any boxed Famicoms.

ferricide

boxed AV famicoms are relatively rare. since it just went out of production like a year ago, people are hoarding them, i guess. zillions of loose regular famicoms are available. i've rarely if ever seen a loose AV famicom, though. of course, everywhere has tons of boxed up new neo famis. there's also another popular clone that's slightly cheaper. and they're both composite, of course.

and 3 of those 4 problems are "you can't reset the game or it freezes" which means you can just easily turn it on and off again. and the one that has a real bug ("some areas are wrongly tinted") is some doraemon game, which you can presumably live without.

cvxfreak

MetatronM said:
I definitely saw boxed Super Famicoms in Akihabara. Even had a bunch of games too (most of which were unboxed...stuff like FFV, FF VI, and some other good stuff that I don't remember right now). I don't think they were all that expensive, but I really don't remember now. I also can't remember if they had any boxed Famicoms.

I'm kicking myself in the balls for not finding one in Akihabara. It was one of the things I'd opted to leave Japan with. I did see an N64 in a shop called "CD - DVD - GAME" for 3800 Yen but I wasn't sure if it were used. :(

WarPig

FortNinety said:

It was last year. I wrote the story up for Gamers.com, so it would have been between March and July. Spring sometime.

DFS.

Top Bottom