• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

West Virginia Supreme Court Rules Anti-Gay Assaults Are Not Hate Crimes

bionic77

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2017/05/10/west_virginia_supreme_court_rules_anti_gay_assaults_are_not_hate_crimes.html

On Tuesday, the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals ruled that the state's hate crime law does not cover anti-gay assaults or any crime committed on the basis of sexual orientation. Its 3–2 decision marks a setback for civil rights advocates' efforts to persuade courts that laws prohibiting violence and discrimination on the basis of sex also protect LGBTQ people. The loss, however, is a narrow one—and the poorly reasoned majority opinion is unlikely to affect the growing consensus in the federal judiciary that anti-LGBTQ discrimination is always ”because of sex."
I just need to stop reading the news altogether.

Karamsoul

Jesus Christ. These fucking Republicans/right-wingers consistently want to send us back to the dark ages. What kind of jackhole monsters are these guys?

AndyD

aka andydumi
As terrible as the outcome is the Judge's logic is sound in that the legislature failed to do the right thing.
Loughry also noted that the legislature has repeatedly tried and failed to add ”sexual orientation" to its hate crime statute. Its failure to add these words, Loughry asserted, indicates that the legislature did not intend to protect LGBTQ people from hate crimes.

kirblar

Prosecutors argued that Butler's alleged attack fell under this prohibition because it was motivated by sex stereotyping, and because sex lay at the root of the brutality: Butler allegedly beat each man for intimately associating with a person of the same sex, and if either were different sex, he would not have assailed them.

Writing for the majority, Chief Justice Allen H. Loughry II rejected this theory, writing that the ”common and ordinary meaning" of the word ”sex" simply ”imparts being male or female, and does not include ‘sexual orientation.' " He reached this conclusion by citing several dictionary definitions and ignoring Supreme Court precedent interpreting sex discrimination to encompass ”the entire spectrum of disparate treatment of men and women resulting from sex stereotypes."Loughry also noted that the legislature has repeatedly tried and failed to add ”sexual orientation" to its hate crime statute. Its failure to add these words, Loughry asserted, indicates that the legislature did not intend to protect LGBTQ people from hate crimes.
I actually agree with the opinion here. The prosecution is trying to stretch the law (w/ good intentions!) to get this covered under this but it's still a massive stretch. Sex and Sexual Orientation aren't the same thing, and it's not the judges' fault that West Virginia is awful.
Is our country as a whole doing that much better?

Seems like the whole thing is pretty much moving in the wrong direction.
Yes, it is. The problem is that in rust belt areas, there's a brain drain of the young and the labor base of the Dems there has collapsed.

Is our country as a whole doing that much better?

Seems like the whole thing is pretty much moving in the wrong direction.

Thus far this is only happening in West Virginia right now. The only other states to do or attempt something like this are part of the rust-belt as well.

linkboy

So fucking stupid

BangingHeadAgainstWall.gif~c200

^
Sums up my entire feeling on the government right now.

Fuchsdh

Reading the reasoning, I don't think the Supreme Court were actually in the wrong here. The statute clearly isn't aimed at covering sexual orientation under "sex"; that's something that should be addressed by the legislature (and there have clearly been a lot of legislators trying—they've been introducing legislation to that effect since 2009.) I can understand the dissenting judge's reasoning, but they're trying to make one too many logical leaps to get to where they want to go. I don't think as the author asserts Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins actually applies well here.

I couldn't find any information on the separate charges from the hate crime case. The guy got kicked off the football team, so that's a small victory, but there's no information from what I can see about whether he's spent any time in jail (Huntington, where the attack took place, does have an LGBT-inclusive ordinance.) Apparently he got hosed by footage from the couple he was beating up, who recorded it because they had gotten assaulted in the past. That's pretty terrible.

In a forceful dissent, Justice Margaret L. Workman, joined by Justice Robin Jean Davis, criticized Loughry for giving “the shortest shrift to real critical thinking.” The majority decision, Workman wrote, “is overly simplistic and constricted,” because “the absence of … those two magic words”—sexual orientation—“does not definitely resolve the question presented by this case.” In reality, Workman explained, “certain individuals are targeted for violence because they are perceived to violate socially-established protocols for gender and sex roles. The perpetrators in such instances have drawn conclusions that the victim has contravened certain unspoken rules” regarding men and women. When he acts on those conclusions, “the bias-motivated crime” is committed, quite literally, “because of sex.” Workman elaborated:

If a man stands on a corner kissing a man and is beaten because he is kissing a man, has he been assaulted because of his sex? Yes, but not simply because he possesses male anatomical parts; rather, the crime occurred because he was perceived to be acting outside the social expectations of how a man should behave with a man. But for his sex, he would not have been attacked.

One of the dissenting judge's views on why it should be considered a hate crime.

Kumquat

As a PhD candidate with a minor in law, I know ya'll will not like to hear this but the court was correct in its ruling. Blame the West Virginia legislature and not the judge. They made the ruling they had to make.

Al-ibn Kermit

As a PhD candidate with a minor in law, I know ya'll will not like to hear this but the court was correct in its ruling. Blame the West Virginia legislature and not the judge. They made the ruling they had to make.

Could you explain more? Is there a law that prevents courts from considering certain groups as victims of hate crimes?

Fuchsdh

Could you explain more? Is there a law that prevents courts from considering certain groups as victims of hate crimes?

Courts don't make laws by fiat, they have to interpret existing legislation and, in some cases, say whether existing law is constitutional or not based on state or federal constitutions.

LGBT people should have equal protection under the law, but the issue is whether the law as written actually covers hate crimes on the basis of orientation.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Reading the reasoning, I don't think the Supreme Court were actually in the wrong here. The statute clearly isn't aimed at covering sexual orientation under "sex"; that's something that should be addressed by the legislature (and there have clearly been a lot of legislators trying—they've been introducing legislation to that effect since 2009.) I can understand the dissenting judge's reasoning, but they're trying to make one too many logical leaps to get to where they want to go. I don't think as the author asserts Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins actually applies well here.

I couldn't find any information on the separate charges from the hate crime case. The guy got kicked off the football team, so that's a small victory, but there's no information from what I can see about whether he's spent any time in jail (Huntington, where the attack took place, does have an LGBT-inclusive ordinance.) Apparently he got hosed by footage from the couple he was beating up, who recorded it because they had gotten assaulted in the past. That's pretty terrible.

jznJuic.png

I've said it once and I'll say it again: Kentucky and West Virginia both being so close makes me feel a lot better about living in Ohio.

Kumquat

Courts don't make laws by fiat, they have to interpret existing legislation and, in some cases, say whether existing law is constitutional or not based on state or federal constitutions.

LGBT people should have equal protection under the law, but the issue is whether the law as written actually covers hate crimes on the basis of orientation.

This explains it just as well as I can. Seperation of powers and all that. Making law is for the legislature.

The short version is that there's no law designating anti-LGBT violence as a hate crime, and so the only correct interpretation the court can make is that anti-LGBT violence is not (read: cannot be prosecuted as) a hate crime.

This isn't an equal protection issue where a law or an application of a law is doing the discriminating, and the court can say "hey, you're violating the constitution."

RedHill

Banned
Y'all can miss me with that "they actually made the right decision because _______ doesn't say _______." Cool, they still made a decision that led to this outcome. That isn't the right decision. They could've made a decision that didn't allow for this mess. That's the point of making a damn decision. You have more than one option.

WedgeX

Banned
Y'all can miss me with that "they actually made the right decision because _______ doesn't say _______." Cool, they still made a decision that led to this outcome. That isn't the right decision. They could've made a decision that didn't allow for this mess. That's the point of making a damn decision. You have more than one option.

Yep.

kirblar

They made the right decision based on the facts of the case. Trying to get sexual orientation covered under "sex" is absolutely ridiculous. It's also absolutely ridiculous that the WV legislature won't actually add "sexual orientation" to the law.

The guy is still going to get charged under the normal laws because he assaulted them, regardless of why.

Kumquat

It's cool you feel that way but how you feel versus what is correct legally is not going to jive. The court has no legal basis to do what you are suggesting. The problem here is the legislature not the judges. They need to change the law.

Top Bottom