• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Anony

Wanted to give the safety razor a try, picked up a razor from China for $2 (yes, that two dollars with free shipping), a box of 100 Astra blades for $8. Figure I'm set for a while, no way I'd go back to the expensive 5 blade monstrosities.

Thought I'd pick up a better razor, now that I know I'm sticking with safety, but this one's just fine. I'm really surprised more razors aren't butterfly, that's my only complaint. Changing blades feels cumbersome, especially in the shower, but I'm only on my second blade.

Razor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050HO9MI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

found this on the canadian site, http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DQHJXUW
looks like the same thing
3 buck, costs as much as a small pack of disposable razors, so i figured, why not, i'll try it
shipping comes in a month, lol

overcast

Finally settled and got a razor. Going to order cream and a brush this weekend leading me to my first shave being some time next week. Pretty nervous.

How long will the blades that come with the Edwin Jagger De89bl last?

rykomatsu

Anyone got recommendations for a straight razor in Europe?

Thiers (French) or Dovo (German) come to mind.

If your facial hair is tough, go with a wedge ground edge. If soft, full hollow ground makes a nice sound when cutting through the hairs.

If first straight razor, a 1/2inch blade gives a good mix of shaving power and finesse around tight areas. I prefer 6/8 or 7/8 blades since I have stiff hairs, but like a hollow groUnd blade which flexes a bit if you use too much force.

The razors (and scales) can be as plain or extravagant as you want. Won't affect the shave.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The only specialty store that I know of in my area doesn't carry full sized strops and says they can't order them. Anyone now where I might find one online, or any chains or west coast distributors I might contact?

Anyone got recommendations for a straight razor in Europe?
I have a Thiers-Issard razor, quality seems pretty nice, it didn't come super sharp though, so you may need to it sharpened if you go with that brand.

I'm not in Europe by the way, but my understanding is the Thiers-Issard makes their razors in France.

rykomatsu

The only specialty store that I know of in my area doesn't carry full sized strops and says they can't order them. Anyone now where I might find one online, or any chains or west coast distributors I might contact?

I have a Thiers-Issard razor, quality seems pretty nice, it didn't come super sharp though, so you may need to it sharpened if you go with that brand.

I'm not in Europe by the way, but my understanding is the Thiers-Issard makes their razors in France.

Try: https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/

By full size, I assume you mean 3" right? The website looks like something out of the Geocities era and somewhat "unprofessional" by current eCommerce site standards, but shipment is very fast - I believe he's out of Florida and always been happy with my orders from there.

Also, most razors I'd argue need honing out of the box - some stores will pre-hone before shipping so that might be why the Thiers you have wasn't that great.

Awesome thread. Been shaving with a double-edged razor for a while now (and while it feels great to not get shafted by gillette razors) I keep getting cuts, and bumps. I basically feel like I motor-boated a porcupine's back everytime I'm done.

I think I'm gonna try and order some Witch Hazel and Arlington shaving cream to help fix this. Also, if I'm not shaving after a hot shower, how wet of a warm towel should I use to prep my face?

Edit: Are bowls really essential to create a lather? Can't I just re-appropriate a mug or soup bowl or something?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Try: https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/

By full size, I assume you mean 3" right? The website looks like something out of the Geocities era and somewhat "unprofessional" by current eCommerce site standards, but shipment is very fast - I believe he's out of Florida and always been happy with my orders from there.

Also, most razors I'd argue need honing out of the box - some stores will pre-hone before shipping so that might be why the Thiers you have wasn't that great.
By "full size" I mean more than 9" long and l wider than 1". All they had were compact strops and travel strops. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.

rykomatsu

Edit: Are bowls really essential to create a lather? Can't I just re-appropriate a mug or soup bowl or something?

No reason why you couldn't just use a coffee mug or soup bowl. I don't think there's anything particularly special about "shaving bowls". Hell, some people cup their hand and lather in there. I don't lather on my face though, it seems like shaving oil kills the lather a bit compared to using a clean bowl/mug surface.

By "full size" I mean more than 9" long and l wider than 1". All they had were compact strops and travel strops. Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.

https://www.thesuperiorshave.com/strops.html

Search on the page for Dovo 180-80002
15"x 3.1"...can't get much more "full size" than that, imho :)

overcast

I either put too little pressure or didn't angle it correctly, cause certain parts weren't completely smooth. I also couldn't lather at all. Ended up nicking myself a few times.

The potential is definitely there though. It looks solid, and brushing the foam on was so nice.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have any idea where I can find some St. Lucia Bay Rum? It's been my standard for two years now, but it seems to have gone out of stock everywhere. TY in advance.

Guys, I ordered shaving creme, and, uh...I think it came already used?

This is the brand:

V0SmIp5.jpg

And here's what it looked like soon as I opened it:

ngxwq4a.jpg

YbKbx5P.jpg

I dunno. It doesn't look absolutely like someone scooped some outta there, but shouldn't it have a smoother, more uniform surface? Is this typical?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have the same tub of TOBS and it looks the same. Its all good.

If you are having nicks and razor burn try different types of blades (get a sample pack). I've gotten very different results with each blade. Also, try a thin layer of Noxzema classic skin cream before lathering. Adds some slickness. Smells horrible (especially compared to that nice TOBS sandalwood) but it really helps.

Learning your face is key. Mapping the hair growth will tell you which directions to shave. My neck hair is like a bad weather map, gotta be careful.

Taborcarn

I tend to never go more than 3 shaves on a blade. I'd also recommend getting a blade sampler, so you can try out a bunch of blade types to see what works best for you. Derbys are ok for me, but a lot of people don't like them.

Beginner-beginner here! Just put in my order for my first setup. I purchased:

Merkur Classic Safety Razor, Straight
50 FEATHER NACET BLUEBIRD BIC ASTRA SHARK LORD DERBY Blade Sampler
Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury, Shave Set

I realize the brush and stand are probably going to be cheap, but I really liked that mug so I figured what the hell for the price and I can always buy a quality brush if I hate this one.

Right now I shave every two weeks because my facial hair grows slow and also I hate shaving. I hate the way my skin feels during and after, so I'm hoping DE is the solution for me!

Lkr

i have an old gillette safety razor that belonged to my grandfather(and possibly his father as well). it is in a case, and i have never done anything with it. how would i go about cleaning this to use it? i know people here have bought used razors, and i imagine you would have done something to clean them before using them.

thanks

Taborcarn

What's worked well for me in the past is using some Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush to clean it, then swishing it in some rubbing alcohol briefly to sterilize. Except in extreme cases it doesn't really take more than that.

Chris R

How often is it reccomened to switch out razors? I just have the derby's that came with my blade.

I'm using Derby after burning though the feather 10 pack that came with my razor.

I paid $10 for 100 blades, I get 4 shaves out of each blade. I can't shave every single day either as my hair doesn't grow that quickly. If I shaved every other day (I'm lazy some times) I'd still be good for almost 3 years.

Which blade should I use first from my sample. Is there a balanced one? I see that Astra is well liked in the thread but I kind of wanted to save them for when I get the technique down.

Sorry for the double post but I have finished my first wet shave.

+ No nicks or cuts
+ Never had the hair pull feeling, no irritation
+ Lather feels great
+ Easier than expected

- Brush hairs were coming off the brush, resulting in an annoyance of fishing them out of the lather on my face
- Lather is tricky to know when it is enough or too little even after watching videos
- I used a Derby blade which I think is why it isn't as smooth as I thought it was going to be
- I found myself wanting to apply more pressure as it wasn't just cutting through whole sections in one swipe as I thought it would
- Upper lip is tricky. I thought I was good but now after my face has dried I noticed I missed a bit

I know that seems like a lot of negatives, but they're really nothing compared to how my face is not irritated in the slightest compared to traditional razors that make my chin feel like burning.

Taborcarn

That's unfortunate about the shedding hairs, hopefully that will stop after a couple lathers. Van der Hagen brushes can be hit or miss with quality control. I started with one and never had a problem with it shedding, but I've heard from others who have.

I tend to take shorter strokes with very light pressure, but that's a matter of preference.

Glad it worked out for you!

I've tried to hold back on more hardware purchases, but I ended up buying this very nice brush second hand the other day.

z8rhLbw.jpg

For now, the only other purchase I plan on making is the RazoRock Stealth slant razor when it ever comes back in stock. The word is "soon", but that's been the story for a while now.

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-stealth-slant-razor

Soodanim

I don't think I've seen this thread before. I found the Reddit community a year or two back and became curious, then a while later I bought the only double edge I could find - a cheap plastic Wilkinson sword thing. Now that I've finished the blades that came with it and had some practice, I think I'm gonna get a proper kit. The last time I looked it seemed to be a toss up between that Merkur (34c?) and whatever that other similar one is, probably the Edwin Jagger in the OP (which is excellent btw, a far better read than Reddit's attempts). For blades I was just going to get a feather sample pack, but I have a feeling GAF will tell me to get a range. I guess that makes more sense, especially as I've managed to nick myself a fair few times.

I don't think I've seen this thread before. I found the Reddit community a year or two back and became curious, then a while later I bought the only double edge I could find - a cheap plastic Wilkinson sword thing. Now that I've finished the blades that came with it and had some practice, I think I'm gonna get a proper kit. The last time I looked it seemed to be a toss up between that Merkur (34c?) and whatever that other similar one is, probably the Edwin Jagger in the OP (which is excellent btw, a far better read than Reddit's attempts). For blades I was just going to get a feather sample pack, but I have a feeling GAF will tell me to get a range. I guess that makes more sense, especially as I've managed to nick myself a fair few times.

Yeah don't limit yourself to just Feather. Get a pack with at least 8 different choices. Lots to choose from on Amazon.

stn

As someone who's never used a safety razor before, can someone explain it? Would it be good for shaving "delicate" areas? I've never used anything but a standard razor.

So I have a shaving mug and lather tablet that sits in the bottom of the mug, I've tried finding a video for this type of lather but I can't find anything good. Am I supposed to treat it like any other lather? Just wet the brush, wring it out and add drops of water at a time or does this type require more water?

Taborcarn

It shouldn't require more water, but it doesn't hurt to practice and experiment with the water levels. Start by adding a few drops at a time, and keep going until it starts to fall apart. You might be surprised by how much water it can take, but make sure to load the brush (swirl it on the soap) plenty beforehand).

Here's a newer video on how to lather:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4zESTQWDuw

Stn: I'd say get some practice using a safety razor before taking it to the delicate areas. There is only a single blades so you can get some very close and smooth shaves, but it doesn't have the swivel head and plastic guard that disposable razors have. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but you should get used to the technique of using the proper angles and pressure first.

Yeah, that's the video I watched before doing it and I wasn't getting enough out if it. I think a bit more water might be what I need.

mkenyon

Banned
As someone who's never used a safety razor before, can someone explain it? Would it be good for shaving "delicate" areas? I've never used anything but a standard razor.
Been using a safety razor for about 3 years now, and have become fairly proficient with it. I would never ever use it to shave my man parts. Still keep around a Mach 3 type thing for that purpose.

rykomatsu

So I have a shaving mug and lather tablet that sits in the bottom of the mug, I've tried finding a video for this type of lather but I can't find anything good. Am I supposed to treat it like any other lather? Just wet the brush, wring it out and add drops of water at a time or does this type require more water?

Generally I would use a shaving bowl instead of the mug - i find mugs generally "overflow" if I lather in there. Swirl a wet (but not wrung out) brush on top of the soap puck for a few seconds, then move over to shaving bowl and add a few drops every now and then, not much different than other soaps at that time.

Second shave tonight. I was able to produce a lot more lather, now I just need to find somewhere between too thin and too thick.

I love that I don't get any razor burn or skin irritation after the shave yet all my facial hair is gone.

I do wish I was getting a closer shave. I don't know if that because I'm using Derby blades or because I'm not applying any pressure (which I believe is the correct way)

percephone

Neo Member
Second shave tonight. I was able to produce a lot more lather, now I just need to find somewhere between too thin and too thick.

I love that I don't get any razor burn or skin irritation after the shave yet all my facial hair is gone.

I do wish I was getting a closer shave. I don't know if that because I'm using Derby blades or because I'm not applying any pressure (which I believe is the correct way)

How many passes do you do? For a really close shave you need to do multiple passes.

The secret to a really, really close shave is to have the pores of your skin open and multiple passes. One with the grains, One across the grains and one against the grains. Rince with warm water and re-lather between each passes.

Mantic 59 videos

rykomatsu

How many passes do you do? For a really close shave you need to do multiple passes.

The secret to a really, really close shave is to have the pores of your skin open and multiple passes. One with the grains, One across the grains and one against the grains. Rince with warm water and re-lather betw8een each passes.

Mantic 59 videos

Also stretch skin around the area you're shaving

StaSeb

Guys, guys! The arko stick!

Arko_scheerzeep.jpg

I am amazed right now. I bought it for cheap at a turkish supermarket. Cost me a dollar and woah, this is the most extreme and unique soap I ever used.

The smell is 100% chemical and kind of nasty. But it fades after a while.
The method of application is dead simple and surprisingly easy.
It creates amazing lather from extremely little soap. I was amazed how that thin layer of soap foamed up that quick.
It gives a really smooth shave.

Whoever likes oldschool shaves owes it to himself, to try arko at least once. Just for the cheap thrills of it!

Taborcarn

Yup Arko is definitely one of the best (if not the best) bang-for-your-buck soaps. Although the scent is a turn-off for a lot of people. I don't mind it so much, I keep a stick around in case I need to travel but don't use it often.

Roland1979

I've been wet shaving for quit sometime now. My recommendations for beginners are simple: get either a Edwin Jagger DE89 or Muhle R89 (same head different handle) or a Merkur 34c . Get a sample pack of blades. Omega makes good inexpensive beginners brushes. For soap and cream i would go with the Proraso line, it's fool proof, they have everything from shaving soaps, creams, after shave lotion/splash and aftershave balm. And paraben free. If you want to try a shaving stick you can't go wrong with Arko. There are many other brands and products that work, this setup is not the holy grail, but it is foolproof and doesn't set you back an arm and a leg.

This is my current setup:

Muhle R89
R%20891_319.jpg

Muhle Silvertip Fibre, Large
(Synthetic, no animals where killed for the brush, but it's also much faster drying. Much, much faster. I buy it because of it's characteristics.)
33%20K%202521_319.jpg

For those who want to learn more, Mark, or Mantic59 is the guy who got thousands of people into wetshaving.
Check out his YouTube channel, "The Shave Tutor".

clav

I do it all the time. Just follow correct shaving practices.

Been using a safety razor for about 3 years now, and have become fairly proficient with it. I would never ever use it to shave my man parts. Still keep around a Mach 3 type thing for that purpose.

Oh. Maybe you will try it one day.

So, i've done this a handful of times and I like the "art" of it, it kind of motivates me to shave which is weird.

I'd like to ask a skeptical question though. Is there any actual science or studies behind why a double edge razor is better than a modern razor? Is it because 3-5 blades in a stroke is just irritating? Is there a chance that a double edge does not irritate as much because you're forced to move at a slow pace? Would a modern razor with this "art" carried over have the same effect and a smoother shave?

I hope this isn't blasphemy but I am general curious if this is all a perception thing.

ramyeon

So, i've done this a handful of times and I like the "art" of it, it kind of motivates me to shave which is weird.

I'd like to ask a skeptical question though. Is there any actual science or studies behind why a double edge razor is better than a modern razor? Is it because 3-5 blades in a stroke is just irritating? Is there a chance that a double edge does not irritate as much because you're forced to move at a slow pace? Would a modern razor with this "art" carried over have the same effect and a smoother shave?

I hope this isn't blasphemy but I am general curious if this is all a perception thing.
Seems like common sense to me that 1 sharp blade would cause less irritation than 3-5 blades of lesser quality. Never thought to check up the science behind it though.

And no it doesn't really carry over. I've done wet shaving with my old gillette mach/fusion/whatever it is before and I got irritated skin from it. Besides, one of the biggest draws of shaving with a double edge is the cheap cost of replacement razors!

Seems like common sense to me that 1 sharp blade would cause less irritation than 3-5 blades of lesser quality. Never thought to check up the science behind it though.

And no it doesn't really carry over. I've done wet shaving with my old gillette mach/fusion/whatever it is before and I got irritated skin from it. Besides, one of the biggest draws of shaving with a double edge is the cheap cost of replacement razors!
On that second part, the biggest reason I ask is because Dollar Shave Club and now a seemingly higher quality Harry's exist. Double Edge is still cheaper in the long run I'm sure, but these options are out there too.

ramyeon

On that second part, the biggest reason I ask is because Dollar Shave Club and now a seemingly higher quality Harry's exist. Double Edge is still cheaper in the long run I'm sure, but these options are out there too.
Yeah, that's still quite a bit pricier. $31 every 2 months on one of their plans. I just recently bought a top up of 25 Astra Platinums for $6 and that will last me at the very least 3 or 4 months. As for the Dollar Shave Club, they were an option I looked at before switching to the Double Edge but they don't really impress me. $10 a month for their best razor and it doesn't look all that different from a Gillette or any other razor with disposable cartridges to me. Same applies to the Harry's razors. More blades just doesn't equate to a closer or more comfortable shave in my opinion.

Top Bottom