• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some animated TV shows that kids today probably never heard of?

levyjl1988

Banned
Last edited:
david the gnome love GIF

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Some of the ones posted are still relevant IP's today, even if kids don't know the original cartoon exists they also wouldn't be surprised to learn that it does.
We need to go back to long dead classics like Bravestarr or, you know, kids animated series based off ancient Greek literature -

Ulysses 31

Sport Billy - think this was maybe big in Europe, I know I loved it as a little kid and had a Sport Billy figure.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Eek! The Cat, was an absolutely hilarious show which goes unnoticed today.

It also had a massive cast, from stars like Mr T, William Shatner, Tim Curry, Weird Al and many more.

It also generated side-shows within the show.

Mr T starred in this one.

Silverhawks:

Voltron (Lion version)

Voltron (Vehicle version)

Johnny Quest (and many other Hanna-Barbera cartoons of that ilk):

I don't know the English name since I ever only watched the Spanish dubbed version as a kid, but there was an anime called... I think the English name would be something like "Zodiac Knights" ("Caballeros del Zodiaco" in Spanish)

Some of these may have modern versions, I wouldn't know. But even if there are modern versions, I certainly know my nephews/nieces don't watch them.

Last edited:
Eek the Cat was awesome.

lol, I'm old as fuck, I remember all of these quite well. The 80's were my childhood, but like a true og geek/nerd I watched cartoons well into adulthood.
I still remember waking up at 6:30AM in order to watch Robotech.

anthony2690

Banned

Oh wow, feel pretty nostalgic coming into this thread, cool to see I'm not the only one who remembers street sharks and mummies alive, had a lot of the street shark toys myself :)

I quite liked extreme Ghostbusters myself
& What's new scooby doo, the best version of any scooby doo show.

I also loved the mask, especially as the Jim Carrey film introduced me to the character and I loved the TV show as a kid :)

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
All of them, since they rarely last 5 years (if even that) to be continually replaced with something new that can grow on a new audience and sell new toys and gadgets. Heck, some of the stuff here I only remember because of the toys (Voltron ♥️) or through the ads for their toys that appeared on Italian Disney comic books (Bravestarr, the Wuzzles, basically everything Masters of the Universe, etc.).

Cynicism apart, the David Gnome cartoon and books were quite literally my life as a preschooler, and I loved the few episodes of Gummi Bears I could rent on VHS. Teddy Ruxpin was my jam for a short time too, but the one I’d pay good money to have legitimately available and complete in Italian is Alfred J motherfucking Quack. I absolutely loved the show and characters. I could never see it all, and years later I found out on the Internet that there was a second part of the series that got pretty dark and that apparently never got an Italian dub due to that.

My childhood with cartoons was mainly anime, though. Ever since Italy was taken by storm by Ufo Robot Grendizer, it’s been anime land. Lupin III, Cat’s Eye, Fist of the North Star, Knights of the Zodiac, Orange Road… we got everything that was safe for kids, and even some of the unsafe ones.

All of them, since they rarely last 5 years (if even that) to be continually replaced with something new that can grow on a new audience and sell new toys and gadgets. Heck, some of the stuff here I only remember because of the toys (Voltron ♥️) or through the ads for their toys that appeared on Italian Disney comic books (Bravestarr, the Wuzzles, basically everything Masters of the Universe, etc.).

Cynicism apart, the David Gnome cartoon and books were quite literally my life as a preschooler, and I loved the few episodes of Gummi Bears I could rent on VHS. Teddy Ruxpin was my jam for a short time too, but the one I’d pay good money to have legitimately available and complete in Italian is Alfred J motherfucking Quack. I absolutely loved the show and characters. I could never see it all, and years later I found out on the Internet that there was a second part of the series that got pretty dark and that apparently never got an Italian dub due to that.

My childhood with cartoons was mainly anime, though. Ever since Italy was taken by storm by Ufo Robot Grendizer, it’s been anime land. Lupin III, Cat’s Eye, Fist of the North Star, Knights of the Zodiac, Orange Road… we got everything that was safe for kids, and even some of the unsafe ones.

Kenshiro exploding fools with Hokuto Shinken is safe for kids?! I love me some Fist of the North Star, Mad Max meets super crazy insane martial art styles.

slade

Someone linked the Carmen Sandiego cartoon and I remembered that I used to watch the gameshow on PBS. That theme song was a staple of my late afternoons in New York during the early 90's.

And Ghostwriter.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My wife really liked Fluppy Dogs growing up. Was that a show or a movie?

Also, the Dilbert show is great if you're a fan of comic.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Forget what they’ve never heard of. Imagine the triggering and emotional safe spaces they would need after watching any of these.

Top Bottom