• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some games with the best surround sound?

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, I managed to grab a 5.1 desktop speaker system, and it's sounding pretty cool. Hooked it up and played some Ryse. Sounding great! The bass response is magnificent. Can some of you recommend a few other games I can test the system with? I played The Wolf Among Us as well, but weirdly it seems to be mixed in stereo (?) Haven't checked some of the other games I have, but I'll be starting Arkham Origins soon, and I'm hoping that's a blast.

So, name some games, please. Also, are ALL PC games in surround by default or do I have to work with some audio settings? The Wolf Among Us seems like a hiccup, but maybe it's a problem at my end. Will look into it.

Thanks a bunch.

Vashetti

Banned
Ah, shame you didn't say PC in the title.

I was about to say P.T. on PS4.

Played it over a friend's house and my friend was sat directly in front of one of the surround speakers. For a lengthy amount of time we got stuck, and all my friend could hear was Lisa breathing down the back of her neck.

So, name some games, please. Also, are ALL PC games in surround by default or do I have to work with some audio settings?

Every PC game is a special case. Ideally if a game supports 5.1 or better they will check with your Windows speaker settings and behave accordingly; if you have Windows configured for 5.1+ the game will go with that, if it supports surround. But you'll sometimes have to check, double-check, tweak and hack to force your games to perform how you want. Such is PC gaming.

The Wolf Among Us does not have surround according to PC Gaming Wiki. Checking individual games there is your best bet. This little website is a treasure trove of info too.

old

The older IW CODs had an amazing sound engine. You could place footsteps like no other. I probably could have steamrolled lobbies blindfolded if I tried it. (Not really)

EVO

I've only played it with headphones, but I imagine Star Wars Battlefront would be amazing in 5.1.

Syf

Banned
Not sure if it's as impressive with speakers, but Overwatch supports Dolby Atmos through headphones and it's hella impressive, keep an eye on that one

Any of the first 3 Thief games. I only have 2.1 speakers with a dedicated sound card but the sound in those games still impress me.

sugarless

I've only played it with headphones, but I imagine Star Wars Battlefront would be amazing in 5.1.

It is. DICE did a great job making the blasters sound great in a real sound space and not just like canned movie effects being played on demand. The positionality is great too; I can run always run straight to the drop pods by the sound alone.

I haven't enjoyed true surround sound since my seinhaussers died several years ago, but I will never forget how Zombi U used the gamepad speakers to throw sound around. It surprised the fuck out of me as it legit felt like I was hearing shit behind me.

JBwB

Battlefield games in general have amazing directional sound.

Get a good surround sound system / pair of headphones with great soundstage and you'll never want to go back.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's odd that most games don't even let you choose between different sound setups. It's always mostly min/max volume

see5harp

There isn't a single telltale game that supports surround sound. It's either a limitation of their engine or more likely that they are just lazy and don't want to bother mixing different for the bagillion platforms they release games on.

Corpsepyre

Banned
There isn't a single telltale game that supports surround sound. It's either a limitation of their engine or more likely that they are just lazy and don't want to bother mixing different for the bagillion platforms they release games on.

Damn.

Just saw that list as well for games that support surround, and im surprised. There are several games that have no dedicated LFE channels.

Top Bottom