• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good Card based RPG/Strategy games?

golem

Hey guys, what are some good card based RPG or Strategy games..? I have Phantom Dust on order but don't really know too much about other games in the genre.. well Metal Gear ACID but I got rid of my PSP. Any good recommendations?

tenchir

golem said:
Hey guys, what are some good card based RPG or Strategy games..? I have Phantom Dust on order but don't really know too much about other games in the genre.. well Metal Gear ACID but I got rid of my PSP. Any good recommendations?

Baten Kaitos, Phantasy Star Online Ep 3. Lost Kingdom I/II.

Rorschach

B00004RBOY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

:D

Tarazet

Danj said:
Are there any more recent examples of this genre, other than the Metal Gear Acid games?

Battles of Prince of Persia (DS). It's like card-effect overload - a little bit cumbersome, but the DS's inherent advantages in this kind of game help it out a lot.

{Mike}

Banned
golem said:

You ALL FAIL

B00009RG3P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Swaain

I'd say go for Culdcept first, and then Phantasy Star Online III.

I've played most of the other games that were mentioned, but I really didn't enjoy them. Culdcept, on the other hand, is absolutely excellent, as is PSO3 - provided you can get "into" which, because it can be VEEEEEEERYYYYYYYYY slow.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Magic: The Gathering is the best, by a gigantic margin.

There are a bunch of free computer versions that let you play online, along with an old Microprose version for the PC.

Speevy

Banned
Baten Kaitos is just different enough to be compelling, even if it doesn't rank with other great RPGs. Plus the art and music are incredible.

Danj

Speevy said:
I don't suppose anyone noticed that this thread is more than a year old.

Argh, no, I didn't, I thought it said 05-06-2006 and figured it was last month or something! Sorry! But in any case, if it's been a year, I'm still interested to hear if there've been any more developments in the genre since the thread was started.

Baker

Banned
Speevy said:
Baten Kaitos is just different enough to be compelling, even if it doesn't rank with other great RPGs. Plus the art and music are incredible.

Minus the character profile art whenever someone was talking. Those were ****ing disgusting.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
jiggle said:
Pokemon Trading Card Game

I wonder how badly that did that we never saw a GBA version. I mean, I got my copy for $5 at a Blockbuster clearance, and I was amazed to find myself loving the game. It's scary.

wipeout364

PSO three was ok but it was so slow, every card play had animation that moved like molasses, it ruined it for me. Plus sega trying to charge for online play was completely lame.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Danj said:
I see there seems to be a DS version of this but it doesn't appear to have a firm release date yet, just a vague "Q4 2006".

They keep showing screens. Also, there's a Marvel based card game coming for DS/PSP.

Culdcept is better than the others mentioned by a large margin. Except maybe Etherlords II, which is good.

Never played Magic online.

Danj said:
I see there seems to be a DS version of this but it doesn't appear to have a firm release date yet, just a vague "Q4 2006".

And the new art is Bleh!

BUY CULDCEPT!

Musashi Wins! said:
They keep showing screens. Also, there's a Marvel based card game coming for DS/PSP.

And PC too. PSP and PC have cross-platform play too. It's based on the Vs. card game so it should be fairly cool.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Speevy said:
I thought that was "Master of Magic". I had that game.

Master of Magic had a lot of similarities, but there was actually a Magic: The Gathering game released later by Microprose...it even had a single-player campaign where you could wander around the world, trading cards and getting quests.

Top Bottom