• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good Half-life 2 mods?

jwj442

I've just started checking out the HL2 modding scene, and I'm impressed with some of the stuff I've found so far. I've tried:

Hidden: Source - I love the concept, but it seems rather harsh on the newbie and difficult to get into.
Goldeneye: Source - Nothing amazing, but it's pretty fun. Does a decent job of capturing the feel of the original while not seeming overly outdated.
Dystopia - This one is excellent. It reminds me of UT2k4's assault mdoe, but I think this one may be better, with the cyberspace and customization.
Pirates, Vikings, and Knights - It's in an early state, but this one is very promising. The gameplay is fun and fairly unique, and the different maps and modes are well-done.

And I've played Garry's Mod, of course.

Coop

Enternal Silence looks like it could be great... i've been falling that mod since it was a mod for battlefield 1942. I think they are releasing a new version soon

usea

I played MINERVA and it was good, but had a lot of flaws. Also it ended after like 15 minutes. I'd love another good single player mod.

I downloaded combine destiny and I'll check it out.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Both Eternal Silence and Weekday Warrior are finalists in this year's IGF Modding Competition.

I haven't played them myself, because my computer isn't up to the take, but the fact that they're there is a sure sign that they're worth checking out.

Weekend Warrior

Eternal Silence

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
- MINERVA rocks
- Eternal Silence has great potential but is a bit rough at this point
- Dystopia is about to get a major revamp with tons of new maps, weapons and features. Awesome game and should act as a giant blotch against FASA. They out shadowrunned the shadowrun game.
- Sourceforts is a cool concept, but your enjoyment is entirely dependent on the people play at the time as it's real easy to f*ck everyones experience all to hell.
- Gary's Mod is probably the most creative project i've seen in a long long time.
- Lots of classic stuff like CTF, Jailbreak and the like are out there too.

Huggy

I'm a huge fan of SMOD. The game adds a ton of things to the singleplayer game... but most important to me is the 100% working havoks physics engine (no more clipping, at all), the adjustable ragdoll effects, secondary kick attack, blood squirting from wounds and sticking on surroundings (this game gets real ugly this way) and corpse convulsion. The mod also imports guns from Day of Defeat and Counterstrike.
Well anyway, that's what makes the game cool to me... but it really can add tons more. Developed by some japanese dude.. gotta search for it.

Top Bottom