• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good story-heavy (good story) rpgs?

Bebpo

Banned
Looking for a Cinematic rpg to play next cause I'm in the mood for a good story + leveling. By cinematic, it doesn't have to have 3d cutscenes or anything, just a good emphasis on story. For example, Grandia 1 would count as would FFVI.

Ones I've already cleared so games other than these (for any system, and this should give a good example of the type of rpg I'm looking for):
-Main FFs
-DQV/VIII
-Xenogears/Saga ep1-3
-All N1 Srpgs (yes, I count these as story heavy with all their cutscenes)
-Shadow Hearts 1-3
-.hack 1-4, Gu 1-3
-BoFV
-Grandia 1-3
-Persona 3, DDS 1-2
-SO2-3
-Earthbound, Mother3
-VP1-2
-All Tales besides ToDr (in backlog...hmm..in fact maybe that's what I should play)
-Errr, others but I'll just stop typing here.

I've heard Growlanser is good from Shouta. How are story-heavy, story-quality are those?

Yakuza, believe it or not, is very close to an RPG. It has a great story along with a traditional leveling system + exp points, side quests, minigames, etc. Very fun.

Someone will say Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga, even though i didn't like it as much as Nocturne, it was alright.

*Ah, nvm.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Danne-Danger said:
Someone will say Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga, even though i didn't like it as much as Nocturne, it was alright.
see his post

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Chrono Cross, I prefer it over its predecessor. I liked the story, how things related back to Chrono Trigger, the great environments, the music. If you haven't already played it, of course.

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
you never played Persona 2!?

I have IS and EP, but after the press turn system of the modern Megaten games I don't know if I can enjoy the old battle system. Do you think the gameplay still holds up?

A lot of the Saturn/PS1/N64 era rpgs have terrible presentation like slow battles or unskippable things or horrible menu navigation, which makes them tough to enjoy these days. I find SNES and PS2 rpgs are basically the ones that hold up the best IMO.

Yakuza 1/2 -played
DDS - played
Suikoden 1-4, tactics, and half of V - played
Chron Trigger/Cross - played

Amir0x

Banned
It seems you really just want jRPGs, but in case you're really in the mood for exploration on storytelling in games... try out Planescape Torment if you haven't already.

I've heard Wild Arms 5 has a good story is the best installment in a while. Really!

But, hmmm ... yeah, I personally loved Growlanser III. Not too many people do, though.

If you're literally looking for something with just a good story + characters, Atelier Iris 2 is pretty darn good in that department -- much more than the first. The music is fantastic, too. The actual gameplay is extremely easy, redundant, and can get very boring at times. If you can handle that, though...*thumbs up*

If we're including older RPGs, Arc the Lad II and Shadow Madness have great stories (warning: SM has some bad gameplay), especially Arc II. Come to think of it, Arc the Lad II is perhaps one of my favorite RPGs: great gameplay, great story, great music....

Disgaea_Boxart_Med.jpg

Prinny Dooood!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have you played Vagrant Story? I think it's more story-heavy than some of the games you listed, and it's a fantastically written and told story.

Bebpo

Banned
Amir0x said:
It seems you really just want jRPGs, but in case you're really in the mood for exploration on storytelling in games... try out Planescape Torment if you haven't already.

Actually I started playing this on gametap after subscribing for Sam & Max and the writing was EXCELLENT, but ones I got out of the first dungeon and started wandering around talking to people with tons of dialogue trees and no idea of where to go next I sorta stopped playing. I can see how it's a great game, but I'm very very very linear in terms of rpgs. I don't want to talk to NPCs. If I get to a town all I want to do is shop, trigger the event leading to the next dungeon, sleep at the inn, leave. I like rpgs where I can be out of one dungeon and into the next within an hour of leaving the first dungeon. Just my personal tastes.

Vagrant Story -played

I might try WA5, but I really don't enjoy the gameplay in WA or the stories usually :( They have the music and exploration, which I like...but yeah I couldn't get into the battle system in WA3 or 4. :\

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:
I have IS and EP, but after the press turn system of the modern Megaten games I don't know if I can enjoy the old battle system. Do you think the gameplay still holds up?
well battle system uh no it's typical turn based affair, but the Persona system of P2 is very deep and complex (I suggest you look for a guide if you are going to play the game it's that complex) and the Chat system with Demons has way more depth than the one in SMT3 (you can make pacts with demons they can help you in battles or tell you useful stuff etc...) there is also the rumour system which is pretty cool.

the storyline is pretty damn good at least EP, I havent played IS. I dont know, give it a shot battle system aside the game different systems have enough depth in them to keep you busy for awhile oh and the game can get really tough in some spots.

have fun with whatever game you decide to play.

Pellham

Banned
dont play shadow madness, its quality is on par with vandal hearts II (another game with a decent story outside the first part where you play as kids but with horribly unplayable gameplay)

of course its an option if you want to see how much you can torture yourself

anyway i don't have any recommendations since you've played everything i've played

Pellham said:
dont play shadow madness, its quality is on par with vandal hearts II (another game with a decent story outside the first part where you play as kids but with horribly unplayable gameplay)

of course its an option if you want to see how much you can torture yourself

anyway i don't have any recommendations since you've played everything i've played

well, he said story over gameplay! :D
honestly, i didn't think it was THAT bad. oh well.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
Actually I started playing this on gametap after subscribing for Sam & Max and the writing was EXCELLENT, but ones I got out of the first dungeon and started wandering around talking to people with tons of dialogue trees and no idea of where to go next I sorta stopped playing. I can see how it's a great game, but I'm very very very linear in terms of rpgs. I don't want to talk to NPCs. If I get to a town all I want to do is shop, trigger the event leading to the next dungeon, sleep at the inn, leave. I like rpgs where I can be out of one dungeon and into the next within an hour of leaving the first dungeon. Just my personal tastes.

I can understand that, the level of freedom in these types of games can be overwhelming (even to me, at times).

I wish there was a way to get you to stick it through, though... the payoff is unparalleled in gaming storytelling.

Avalon

Bebpo said:

That's a shame... I was about to recommend Torment too.

Error2k4 said:
well battle system uh no it's typical turn based affair, but the Persona system of P2 is very deep and complex (I suggest you look for a guide if you are going to play the game it's that complex) and the Chat system with Demons has way more depth than the one in SMT3 (you can make pacts with demons they can help you in battles or tell you useful stuff etc...) there is also the rumour system which is pretty cool.

The first Persona's battle system AND contact system have more depth then even that. :p

Have you tried any of the Knights of the old Republic games Bebpo? You don't have to like Star Wars to enjoy them. There is also Vampire: Bloodlines which is another good Western RPG.

I can't think of any JRPGs to add since you have them pretty much covered.

Pachael

Why not go back to jrpgs that you didn't think were flash the first time around and see if you find them more refreshing the second time? Try the Lunars, BoF 3/4, FFT, Legend of Dragoon (koff), DQ7, (mostly PS1).

I'd second Vagrant Story if you haven't played it. IMO better than FF12. And I'm almost sure you played the Valkyrie Profiles.

Tail Concerto was quite good (PS1). Uhhh, maybe that's more action RPG.

Pachael said:
Why not go back to jrpgs that you didn't think were flash the first time around and see if you find them more refreshing the second time? Try the Lunars, BoF 3/4, FFT, Legend of Dragoon (koff), DQ7, (mostly PS1).

I figured Bebpo has played the Lunar games....if not, that is what you need to play.
And I totally forgot about Legend of Dragoon - great game.

go back to Torment. just take your time and explore around. the initial city can be extremely terrifying but once you get the golden orb it linears out a bit...it's sort of wide open areas but linearly placed, so you never have THE ENTIRE WORLD to do at once...anyways go back to it.

Avalon

Error2k4 said:
well I havent played P1 so I cant comment on it.

Wow. You really need to track it down. In terms of gameplay, there are a lot of things I prefer from the first Persona. Combat as a whole is far more strategic, the contact and fusion system is quiet superior in just about every way. It's not repetitive either, you only need to get one Tarot card and fusion pretty works like it does in Nocturne.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the game gets boggled down by the questionable localization. They also f'ed up the encounter rate and made the game a easier. I'm going to play the Japanese version one of these days.

If you can stand the somewhat dated visuals (still looks 1000x better than most PSOne RPGs on here and almost as good as early PS2 games), then my vote would be for Anachronox. It's much more linear than most CRPGs and is a ton of fun.

Vampire Bloodlines is another good bet. It's got a bit more of that Torment-like NPC interaction going on though (which I dig 110%, but you said you were put off by it). Make sure to pick up the latest unofficial patches.

Red Scarlet

I dunno, the last rpg's I really played and paid attention/gave a hoot about what was going on in them were probably FF6 and Chrono Trigger. Hopefully you will find something that fits the bill with more helpful responses than mine.

yeb

Have you played Lufia 2? If you haven't, it's one of the best 16-bit RPGs. Also, the KotOR games are pretty easy to get into.

I think you've already covered anything, honestly :/

Also: How can you possibly play through all those games? I mean, I'm not disputing that you have, but wow. It would take me the next 10 years to finish up everything on that list.

edit: but yeah Persona 2 is excellent and the battles are great, Press Turn or no. They're quite fast paced (no long animations) and call in plenty of strategy, esp. for the bosses

Avalon

Bebpo said:

So you still haven't played them? Give them a shot. I think the games hold up well today. They don't have the press-turn system, but they do have the fusion system (a bit like DDS2's combination attacks). Contact system is fairly good too (a bit repetitive because of it's collecting nature though). There is also a rather big city to explore with a lot of neat characters and history. Story is quiet good too (Speaking of EP since IS.. well, you know).

EDIT: The games are long though... I think it took me over 100 hours to finish EP on my first playthrough.

dili

Avalon said:

The first Persona's battle system AND contact system have more depth then even that. :p
Seriously. If theres anyone who thinks P2's battle system is too complex to enjoy,they should stay FAR away from P1. :p

P1 has not aged very well though,I doubt anyone would who isn;t a hardcore SMT fan would find much enjoyment in it. Theres also the fact the game still uses the first person prespective for dungeons wich I would never be able to get into again.

Ignore all these suggestions and play ToDr NOW

its disgustingly good, i'm about at the half mark, and if you are playing destiny for the 1st time you may be pleasantly surprised that the plot is actually good.

I kid you not when i say it is the best tales game out there. Do yourself a favor and play it now.

Growlanser is very good / story heavy, and has a relationship aspect to it. There is basically no leveling, and its traveling from event battle to event battle.

demonkid666 said:
Baldurs Gate 2+expansion pack

Given that the OP said this:

I don't want to talk to NPCs. If I get to a town all I want to do is shop, trigger the event leading to the next dungeon, sleep at the inn, leave

Chapter 2 in BG2 would eat him alive. It's also the apex of the game outside the insanity of the later ToB areas.

Good recommendation otherwise, though, BG2 w/ ToB is better than anything else in the thread IMO.

Avalon

dillenger said:
Seriously. If theres anyone who thinks P2's battle system is too complex to enjoy,they should stay FAR away from P1. :p

P1 has not aged very well though,I doubt anyone would who isn;t a hardcore SMT fan would find much enjoyment in it. Theres also the fact the game still uses the first person prespective for dungeons wich I would never be able to get into again.

I still think it's pretty good. Nice challenging gameplay, great cast and story. It's also the last in the series to really have the traditional gameplay. Though, like you said, only a hardcore Megaten fan would really give it a chance.

Vaporak

Avalon said:

Have you tried any of the Knights of the old Republic games Bebpo? You don't have to like Star Wars to enjoy them. There is also Vampire: Bloodlines which is another good Western RPG.

I was about to suggest the same. Oh well, I HIGHLY suggest trying out Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, more combat focus and they're pretty linear but with lots of optional side quests. If you want even more linear than that I highly suggest Deus Ex. :D

edit: wow, I didn't expect to be the first one to suggest Deus Ex, that game needs more love in here. :/

Chichikov

Neverwinter Nights 2 has great story and terrific writing for a computer game, and while it is a defiantly not as linear as your average console JPRG, it does a much better job at easing you into the world (unlike BG2 or Planescape that throw you into huge hubs early on).

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll probably try to sit down with Persona 2 and ToDr, though I might give Torment another shot (maybe faq it a bit early on to figure out how to get moving) and see if it gels.

Beezy

Bebpo said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll probably try to sit down with Persona 2 and ToDr, though I might give Torment another shot (maybe faq it a bit early on to figure out how to get moving) and see if it gels.

Play Baten Kaitos Origins someday. It's the best RPG on GC. :p

Chichikov

Bebpo said:
though I might give Torment another shot (maybe faq it a bit early on to figure out how to get moving).
I would say that’s the wrong approach to a game like Planescape:Torment.
It’s not a tough game.
Forget about the "must have 100% completion" mentally.
Don’t worry about missing stuff (because you will, you can’t really do everything in a single playthrough).
Just play "naturally".
Faqs can hurt many games, they can utterly destroy your experience in a game like Planescape.

Bebpo

Banned
Chichikov said:
It’s not a tough game.
Don’t worry about missing stuff (because you will, you can’t really do everything in a single playthrough).
Just play "naturally".
Faqs can hurt many games, they can utterly destroy your experience in a game like Planescape.

It's not about the difficulty, it's about the non-linearity. I just want to know where to go next. If I walk into a room and there are 20 NPCs with 10 mins worth of dialogue to read and one of them will tell me where to go next but I don't know which and what line of dialogue...well that turns me off. I have a busy life and I don't want to waste an hour just talking to NPCs in a room, I just want to get my line of dialogue pointing to the next area and leave.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bebpo said:
It's not about the difficulty, it's about the non-linearity. I just want to know where to go next. If I walk into a room and there are 20 NPCs with 10 mins worth of dialogue to read and one of them will tell me where to go next but I don't know which and what line of dialogue...well that turns me off. I have a busy life and I don't want to waste an hour just talking to NPCs in a room, I just want to get my line of dialogue pointing to the next area and leave.

The case with all Black Isle and Bioware RPG's is that you only need to talk to NPC's with names. If they are something like "Bar patron", "Sigil Citizen", "Street Rat", etc... you can skip them. Only people with real names have something worth saying.

Chichikov

Bebpo said:
Fair enough.
It may not be a game for your liking.
And it is definitely not the easiest entry point into the genre.

I would re-suggest Neverwinter Nights 2.
It’s like an Aurura age Bioware light game when it come non-linearity, and it most certainly have much better pacing.

Rufus

Chichikov said:
It’s not a tough game.
Just play "naturally".
QFT. Explore the world and its characters. Be patient and you'll be rewarded.
I loved the game and replayed it quite a few times.

Top Bottom