• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some hidden gems, video games that people haven't heard of that really resonated with you?

crozier

Dragon’s Crown Pro
Champions of Norrath
Krater
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Men in Black: The Game
Blade Runner

Fbh

Not exactly "hidden" since it was published by Ubisoft. But I rarely see people mention Outland:

outlland_nakedboxshot_mobile_156642.jpg

It was a fun Metroidvania/platformer from last gen that incorporated the Ikaruga concept of Red/Blue energy attacks and your charact being able to Switch between Red/blue immunity.
It's not as good as some newer stuff like Ori or Hollow Knight, but still a fun time and the visual style holds up.

Tschumi

I think it's been long enough now, with enough subsequent civ titles, for me to say:

images

In some ways it was more fun than civ3, a little less polished maybe

images

It was really very accessible and the gameplay was robust..

Had an awesome introduction video

Last edited by a moderator:

Pejo

Nights of Azure (the first one). It was a hack n' slash pokemon-esque lesbian anime love story. I really enjoyed my time with it and completing all of the collection stuff, despite all the jank.

SyberWolf

I'm not sure there's anything "hidden" about this gem. More like "fading away into the past", since they never continued the series. It was certainly a beloved game in its day. But there's no more conversation about it, because it's essentially a dead franchise now.

igi2.jpg

intbal

Like I said, they never continued the series.

Zero faith in this "prequel".
-Made by different team. None of the original designers
-Prequels have a really bad habit of ruining the continuity of the established franchise
-Looks like a cinematic action game. Original was 100% Stealth FPS.

But I'll keep an eye on it.

Oh, definitely ABZU. It was free on PS+ about... two years ago, I think? It's a short adventure game but it's one of my favorites.

As my PFP might insinuate, I'm also a huge fan of Kid Icarus: Uprising. I'm really disappointed it's not planned to get a sequel and I'm hoping that there's at least gonna be a Switch port.

Last edited:
What are some hidden gems that provide an experience that you can't find anymore in the current modern video game market?
I'm talking about games that are not in print anymore, games that cannot be found in a digital storefront, games that are for the niche market, not being currently discussed, and why are they your favorite?

We are excluding AAA games or well-known franchises from this thread.

I'll list my few...

1. Hamtaro Ham-Hams Unite (Gameboy Colour)
vJoDb09.jpg

sld8DEK.jpg

You will never find a game that gives you the feeling of being small and have the charm of cute animals with their own cute ham-ham language.
It's like if you take the "Grounded" and mixed it with "Animal Crossing" and "Legend of Zelda Minish Cap".

2. Riviera the Promised Land (Gameboy Advance)
i6pYBH7.jpg

3c27eRQ.png
vcHXBdP.jpg

One of the best turn-based games out there. Very focused narrative-driven experiences.Not just another typical Japanese harem.

3. Lost in Blue (Nintendo DS)
N5MME8F.jpg
0eZIu2T.jpg

tgCYHAN.jpg
czHfnq2.jpg
wkL2UUw.jpg
MMO4GT5.jpg

One of the best survival games on the system, it spawned sequels such as Lost in Blue 2, 3, and Shipwrecked on the Wii but was largely forgotten, Konami won't resurrect this gold of an IP and has been lost.
The game is being stranded on an island with a girl and you have to escape, managing hunger, thirst, stamina with hunting, fishing and using the touch screen and mic. It felt quite slow but good as you managed survival.

4. Trace Memory (Nintendo DS)
duiRj7Q.jpg

Lf3UVV9.jpg
CGL9OzC.png
ICNwZ5S.png

We will never get a game like this anymore. Top-down adventure game with a second screen with a point and click adventure. The music is sooo good.

5. Hotel Dusk (Nintendo Wii)
zQdwzr6.jpg

3aT5AHw.jpg
7dReE5O.jpg
DRQqTkh.jpg

R.I.P Cing

6. Fragile Dreams (Nintendo Wii)
T6QKSPV.jpg

3dswcr4.jpg
s3KAFsu.jpg
gQQUNn9.png

An anime game where you use the wii remote as a flashlight.

Hotel Dusk and its sequel are two of the best games I ever played, so good I couldn't stop recommending them to everyone

I miss them, sigh, would replay the hell out of both on switch

Largo Winch on ngc
A totally different game and genre from the ps1 version that came out at the sane time, not perfect under the technical aspect but I loved it, easy gameplay, memorable puzzles, a very good plot and a great atmosphere, really loved it

The mummy on ps1, had a ton of fun with it back in the days, a tomb Raider like gem

The two ps4 Digimon Story, awesome little gems who have been way too underestimated and went pretty off the radars, I have 200 hours on them

Beat Cop on switch, a must buy for every 90's point and click lover and also crazy cheap

Last edited:
There's a ton...I can't even list here, the list never ends...I collect those kind of games and im still discovering new gems!

If you want from some specific console, let me know!

Posted this a few days ago on another thread. Just figured this one is more fitted: niche game, not available anymore/yet.
Kriegspiel by RSG, based on the french board game Le Jeu de la guerre by Guy Debord.
That game tought me the difference between tactics and strategy, with a balance of both being required. The illustrations were simple but very well done and gave it an elegant touch.
4c24b62651db781ff96a7415483b3188--guy-debord-contemporary-landscape.jpg

The game was freely downloadable on RSG's website, and there was online multiplayer, until a few years ago. Then the developer removed the app, closed the server and announced a remaster.
And then nothing.
Until this year, when he raised from the dead to announce an iOS port. I have an Android phone. :messenger_pensive:
edit: the port is also planned for macOS. I have a PC with Windows and one with Linux. :messenger_unamused:

250px-NeverDead_cover.png

It got completely buried due to abysmal scores and went under a lot of people's radar. Very fresh take on third person shooters. Only drawback is that it actually has a bit of a learning curve.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
(grabs air) Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier: This one's weird. It's a JRPG game with a lot of weebiness (mainly BOOBAs all over your screen) and the exploration and conversations look like they where pulled off from an RPG Maker game. The thing is, the combat in this game really rocks, with a great sprite work, music and mechanics pulled right off Valkyrie Profile.

mugen-no-frontier-super-robot-taisen-og-saga-jindependent-nintendo-ds.jpg

If you enjoyed Project X Zone on the 3DS, you should totally try this one out. Oh, and there is also a sequel called Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier Exceed, for which a translation patch was released no long ago.
Is the patch a full patch or just a menu translation? Also while I really enjoyed the first game it pissed me off when I found out the game had a sequel that was never released with more characters.

On the bright side lore wise browning is part of the Super Robot Wars series proper now as of the Moon dwellers.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
capsule_616x353.jpg

If player choice is important to you.
If game fail states bother you.

It's a better version of Oregon Trail meets Game of Thrones.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is the patch a full patch or just a menu translation? Also while I really enjoyed the first game it pissed me off when I found out the game had a sequel that was never released with more characters.

On the bright side lore wise browning is part of the Super Robot Wars series proper now as of the Moon dwellers.

As far as I know it's a full translation, although I have yet to check it out.

bender

What time is it?
Konami's Run and Gun is the best arcade basketball game ever created and I fucking love the NBA Jam series.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I love seeing all the Wii gems mentioned so far. One that hasn't been mentioned is Sin & Punishment Star Successor

sin__punishment_2_frontcover_large_q1VsHT5FFaIhCmk.png

The pinnacle of the rail-shooter genre, in my opinion. I keep coming back to it, over and over. Every session, I discover some new trick, or a hidden facet of a level that I didn't spot before, and it's always a fun time.

Ultimate Fighting Championship on the Dreamcast. Made by veteran devs from the Tekken team.

51CSTKVHDTL._SX385_.jpg

If it had its own theme instead of being a UFC game, it could've hung with the best of that generation like Dead or Alive and Soul Calibur.

Otogi for the original Xbox.
Otogi 1 and 2 for sure, especially with FROM being a darling of hardcore gamers nowadays. How is this game not more well-known?

Last edited:
Top Bottom