• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best TVs for gamers?

entremet

I'm looking to finally upgrade my 1080p plasma this year, but my TV is practically single use--gaming.

I watch most movies in the theaters and TV shows on my computer or iPad. And maybe an occasional Bluray. The mostly TV is only for gaming, which is why I went with plasma originally. But plasma seem rarer these days.

Going online, I'm seeing Samsung TVs doing well in the response area. This is surprising to me since I had bad experience with Samsung TVs in the area.

Any recommendations?

Gren

The backlight in my Samsung seems to have shit the bed after just four months, so I wouldn't personally recommend them as far as reliability goes.

Fat4all

Banned
k3Tia.jpg

Alternate between GAME and your VHS copy of The Phantom Menace.

webkatt

Another thing to look for is motion blur. I have a Vizio and while its response time is good it's motion blur leaves a lot to be desired

MrTexor

Somewhat similar. Does anyone have a good 5.1 receiver that won't add much lag when you play video games? I got both a ps4 and Xbox one

Response time is not the same thing as input lag time.

Input lag: how long it takes the tv to process the signal from device to display it on the tv. A great input lag time is about 25ms or less.

Response time is how long the pixels actually take to shift color (most tvs these days really shouldn't have a problem with this).

These 2 websites are a great place to start to looking.
http://www.displaylag.com/
http://www.rtings.com/

I bought a Sony KDL42W705B 42-inch as it was a 1080p screen with 13.5ms input lag, which as far as I was aware is the lowest response time of any TV.

Had it 2 years and its got major banding, along with flickering.

Tough one honestly. Samsung TV's picture quality has gotten better in recent years so you wouldn't be amiss getting something like Samsung UE40J5100. Around 21-28ms if that matters, but picture quality is fantastic.

Top Bottom