• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the hardest and most "perfected" speedrunning game?

Bragr

Banned
For you in the know, what are the most hardcore and elite speedrunning games that are the most fun to watch? I assume Mario and Sonic games are the top games for speedrunning?

I have been watching some of this new wave of Super Mario 64 speedrunning on Twitch, and it's pretty fun to follow.

HMC-Ceilingless.gif

wb3s_O.gif

4a9.gif

Chukhopops

The most competitive and optimized game is Super Mario Bros, to the point where people believe it will be physically impossible to improve the time down another second.

Ocarina of Time is another one that’s been brought down to a couple minutes at this point with arbitrary code execution.

I think those two and Mario 64 are the three most competitive, with maybe Minecraft after that but it works completely differently with the random seeding.

swaffles23

Definitely Super Mario 64 120 star for me. The skill and dedication it takes to be a top runner is just insane. And now Liam comes back from his year long hiatus and destroys the WR in like a month.

But I think SMB1 any% is probably the most perfected. The record is almost at its limit as it is.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today, speedrunning is an umbrella term that covers more ground than you might think -- from the classic struggle between gamer and timer, to reprogramming old-school consoles with soldering iron in hand, to pure streaming entertainment. And all of these different kinds of speedrunners play together in relative harmony...but it wasn't always that way. Whether it was cheaters being exposed, folks falsely accused or anything in between, the early days of speedrunning were rife with drama, and perhaps no single event was more destabilizing than the inception of tool-assistance. It also serves as a striking model of how humans interact with tools and tech, and points to a fascinating future for us and our games. This is the Inside Story on the civil war that almost blew up speedrunning. Featuring: dwangoAC, Cheese, Biinny, orcastraw, Bryonato, LilAggy, Marphoria and Dr. David Eagleman.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Anything on N64. For whatever reason, it is THE speed running platform. Mario 64, Mario kart 64, Goldeneye, OoT, Perfect Dark, Majora's Mask, even that Rareware Mickey's speedway.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Mario 64 is definitely one of the "hardest" because it's so analog, but the current best runs actually have quite a lot of room to optimize further.

Super Mario Bros is one of the most competitive and optimized out there, within spitting distance of even theoretical "perfect" TAS runs. It is reaching the limits of what is humanly possible.

Mario Kart 64 is also crazy tight and takes a lot to master.

+1 on all the Super Mario Bros. mentions. The insanity of that speedrun -- how perfect each and every movement has to be -- borders on the impossible.

Classic (pre-4) Resident Evil games and their associated remakes have gotten fairly precise speedruns over the years. Not neck-breaking levels of difficult, but the amount of focus and precision needed is insane. Most of those games have gotten to where shaving extra time off is exceptionally difficult, and some of those games (classic RE3) are reaching "impossible" levels to cut down more time. As a huge fan of the games (and not that bad of a player myself), those speedruns are a lot of fun to watch.

Super Mario Bros is one of the most competitive and optimized out there, within spitting distance of even theoretical "perfect" TAS runs. It is reaching the limits of what is humanly possible.
Yeah I was going to say, this could actually be measured and ranked by comparing the TAS times to the normal speedrun times. Rank them by percentage difference and you would have your most "perfect" list.

Top Bottom