• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you afraid of?

Fliesen

I have an irrational fear of giant gaping mouths, particularly on sea creatures.

At this point I will be turning images off in my browser.

I'm with you, OP.

I don't like the open sea, i don't like huge leviathan-like underwater creatures.

I always feel it's an issue of me liking to be in control of myself and my surroundings. Water dampens your sight but also makes you less agile. So that's a double no-no.

Mannequins and wax figures scare the hell out of me. The idea of them being perfectly still as you're watching them, but turn away and turn back, and they've moved. FUCKING NOPE

Also mirrors, but not as much so.

I am afraid of my fiance falling out of love with me. I have nightmares pretty often where she seems disinterested in whatever we are doing and then confesses she doesn't love me anymore. We've been together for five years, will be married next year, and she's never given me even the slightest reason to doubt the significance of our relationship. But sometimes I'll imagine what would happen to my life if she suddenly felt differently. What if she told me one day she doesn't find me attractive? What if she thinks I'm holding her back? What if she doesn't want to be with me? What if she just doesn't need me anymore? What if her drifting away has already started and I won't know until she's been faking it for months? What then?

It would be the end of my life as I know it. I don't ever want to go through that. I don't ever want to unwind myself from the central structure of my existence.

It's not the fear of starting over or being alone - it's just knowing that I have exactly everything I've ever wanted in my life. I want her to always feel the same. Until we are both skeletons, I want her to always be happy to be with me. The fear she isn't, or someday won't be, is my greatest and most intoxicating fear.

When I'm in crowded places, I routinely touch my back pocket to make sure my wallet is still there. I feel like I do the same thing with my relationship. I make sure I haven't lost her. I make sure she's still there.

But on a lighter note, I'm afraid of losing my GAF account. This website has replaced all social media for me and I am virtually always on the board. GAF has gotten me through some extremely difficult times where I wouldn't have had anything else to do or anywhere else to go. I've become a different person with much more carefully thought out beliefs and ideas because of the interactions I've had here. With all its problems and all its absurdity, I am a true patriot of this place and never want to be turned away from it. I'd be a man without a country.

The other side of that is that I don't want this place to ever fall apart. GAF has made it this far with careful moderation and a strong mission statement, but there have been people I liked who were driven out for various reasons. GAF can definitely get better at certain things and the community can improve in certain ways - it's not a perfect place. But there's nothing else like this forum that I've found and I don't want it to lose its identity. As websites like Twitter fall to the bots and trolls and reddit overlaps further and further with white supremacy, NeoGAF remains a bastion of decency. I would take my worst days on GAF over my best days on any other site. I think a forum like this is extremely valuable in the world we currently live in.

I'm determined to stay here and watch the forum grow. Missing out on that would be very upsetting. Everyone needs a hangout. With my schedule, and my life, this place is mine.

Crazyorloco

I'm three weeks away from graduating with a masters.

I'm really really really afraid of something just going wrong right now. I'm tired of internship working. papers. Etc.

I'm also afraid that I will never be able to trust another person again. My ex destroyed my soul a little.

RMI

Banned
cancer would suck. Thankfully I can't think of anybody in my family who has died of cancer so genetics are hopefully on my side, but I would hate it if some part of my body was suddenly like, "nah we're done and you're done too fucker."

not sure how I would handle a situation like that. Probably poorly.

Van Bur3n

People criticizing 3D Sonic.

Übermatik;252410760 said:
3D sonic always looks so fucking clumsy

nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif

Push all my friends and family away and end up being alone with no one who will care about me. Maybe that's why I always try to make people laugh,so they dont leave me

krishian

Dementia and the open seas, though dementia definitely takes it for me. Seeing my grandfather suffer from it in his last couple of months was the most terrifying thing I've ever witnessed.

Large insects that move erratically. Dragonflies, moths, crane flies... If I can't predict their movements, I'm not in control anymore and I guess that's what scares me. Oddly, smaller insects (mosquitoes, houseflies, tiny moths, etc.) don't bother me, even though they move just as unpredictably.

Also, steep heights. It's more the steepness than the height, actually. I can stand on the top of a tall but gently sloping mountain and everything's fine. But if I stand on the balcony of an apartment one level above ground floor and look over the balustrade, I feel like I'm an inch away of falling to my death.

Rollercoasters and fast rides in general, as far as irrational is concerned. I've been to Universal, Magic Kingdom, Alton Towers and the like, and I get a shiver in my spine whenever I look at them and imagine me on one, you couldn't pay me to get me on honestly. It's not so bad that I can't stand pictures of them or even be in a theme park, as explained above I do still enjoy theme parks, but yeah I don't wanna ever go on a rollercoaster like The Hulk or Aerosmith.

Can't really describe why I am scared of them, guess why it's irrational.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That my species is a fuckin lost cause.

Top Bottom