• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

Fleet of Foot said:
After that, read the next in the series. It's just as good. Better, I think.

You will think, "How do these guys keep getting themselves into (and out of!) this shit??"
I don't plan to stop, especially after the last scene. I think I'm in it for the long haul with the Gentlemen Bastards. And as this is Lynch's debut novel, I'm really looking forward to seeing how he improves over the years.

Darb

Neo Member
I've recently started my way through the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series after hearing so many great things about it. I really enjoyed the first book (Gardens of the Moon) and it took a while but I am currently entrenched in Deadhouse Gates. I might take some breaks along the way to read some non-fantasy but I think I will see this through.

Also, I just wanted to add that I've been a long time lurker in this thread and I am really thankful for all of the great suggestions through the months!

Salazar

Darb said:
I've recently started my way through the Malazan: Book of the Fallen series after hearing so many great things about it. I really enjoyed the first book (Gardens of the Moon) and it took a while but I am currently entrenched in Deadhouse Gates. I might take some breaks along the way to read some non-fantasy but I think I will see this through.

You must at the very least read the next book in the series, as it will astonish you. I am in the final pages of 'House of Chains' at the moment.

Planning to read Redmond O'Hanlon's 'Trawler' next, followed by Tim Powers' 'The Stress of Her Regard'.

Frostburn

aidan said:
I hated it, but absolutely loved and devoured everything that came afterwards. At least give the second book a shot.
Of the Dark Tower series I enjoyed 'The Waste Lands' and 'Wizard and Glass' the most. Still worth sticking with the series though, it's a series that sticks with you long after you read it.

EliCash

2r25hfk.jpg

Really enjoying it, an essential read for any basketball fans. Or fans of Friday Night Lights or anything like that.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Do a lot of you use libraries? While I've gone through periods buying a lot of books, several moves killed my desire to keep carrying many boxes with me. I've liked libraries since I was a child, and to this day I love being able to walk out of the library with an armful of books. I've donated parts of my old collections to them as well.

I had a good library visit today, so it brought it to mind.

FnordChan

Musashi Wins! said:
Do a lot of you use libraries?

By the time I remember to return the book and pay the late fees I've racked up, it's usually cheaper for me to go ahead and just buy the damn thing. That said, I do enjoy living next door to a major academic library system and periodically drop by to check out something moderately obscure.

FnordChan

Musashi Wins! said:
Do a lot of you use libraries?

Yeah, my university library. It's leagues ahead of the local ones when it comes to new releases and recent stuff in general, as well as lesser known works. I almost don't want to graduate. :lol

Darb said:

I'm quite envious. Deadhouse Gates and the next two or three books are the best in the series.

_Isaac

I love libraries. In fact, I prefer browsing and looking through books than actually reading them. With that said, I like the feeling of owning books. I like knowing it is accessible to me whenever I want and it's cool having a bunch of books on a shelf. We have okay libraries here. Many times, I end up having to order a book from another library, so I can pick it up here. My school library is even worse when it comes to their selection of fiction. We only have books meant for research. We have a couple novels here and there, but they are hard to find.

Alucard

Banned
_Isaac said:
I love libraries. In fact, I prefer browsing and looking through books than actually reading them. With that said, I like the feeling of owning books. I like knowing it is accessible to me whenever I want and it's cool having a bunch of books on a shelf. We have okay libraries here. Many times, I end up having to order a book from another library, so I can pick it up here. My school library is even worse when it comes to their selection of fiction. We only have books meant for research. We have a couple novels here and there, but they are hard to find.

Seinfeld: What is this obsession people have with books? What do you need it for after you read it? BOOKS, BOOKS! I NEED MY BOOKS!

:lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Torhthelm Tídwald said:
I'm not seeing it. I suspect you're thinking of Xenocide/Children of the Mind.

really? One of the main plot points is a huge part of Mormonism. Speaking to/for the dead.. If you look up Mormon beliefs about talking to the dead and converting them and what can happen after you die you can see it very clearly in Speaker for the Dead

Undeux

_Isaac said:
Whenever I feel kind of comfortable where I am, I love the feeling of having a ton of books. Now that I'm looking at moving, though, I'm looking at my shelves in absolute horror of how I'm going to get rid of all this crap. :lol

It was actually my main motivation toward buying a Kindle - I don't think I can adjust to going to libraries regularly, but I really need to break the habit of buying physical books.

Salazar

Tim the Wiz said:
Yeah, my university library. It's leagues ahead of the local ones when it comes to new releases and recent stuff in general, as well as lesser known works. I almost don't want to graduate. :lol

Same here. I'm looking forward to PhD borrowing privileges.

Sodium

Neo Member
catcher_in_the_rye.159211214_std.jpg

Finally started, I'm about halfway through. So far, it's more annoying than anything else. Holden Caulfield seems like a total douche.

Napalm-Silly-Putty_l.jpg

Got an audio version, been listening to it on my Zune. Enjoying it for the 4th time. Never gets old.

Blackace said:
really? One of the main plot points is a huge part of Mormonism. Speaking to/for the dead.. If you look up Mormon beliefs about talking to the dead and converting them and what can happen after you die you can see it very clearly in Speaker for the Dead

The ideas behind the Mormons “baptisms for the dead”, and the Speaker for the Dead’s “speaking for the dead” are not similar, except in both cases the person is dead (well, actually, that’s not entirely true for SFTD - HQ). The ‘speaking’ is like a eulogy given at a funeral, but a bit more honest than most. (You did read this book?) The Mormons have a literal baptism, with a ‘stand-in’, who is baptized, to convert the dead to Mormonism, and to wash away their sins…blah, blah.

For the record: I have no love for either Mormons or present-day Orson Scott Card. I actually have huge issues with both of them, but even so, you’re still misinformed.

Foob

I can't remember if I posted this already or not but I'm reading jonathan strange and mr. norrell and it is soooo fucking good

Karakand

Musashi Wins! said:
Do a lot of you use libraries? While I've gone through periods buying a lot of books, several moves killed my desire to keep carrying many boxes with me. I've liked libraries since I was a child, and to this day I love being able to walk out of the library with an armful of books. I've donated parts of my old collections to them as well.

I had a good library visit today, so it brought it to mind.
I use the Friends of the Library store at my local library and the various libraries at my university.

hand banana said:

Finally started, I'm about halfway through. So far, it's more annoying than anything else. Holden Caulfield seems like a total douche.

But...but...it's the sacred text of GAF!!!!!

Yes, it's overrated. I suppose the voice Salinger used throughout is remarkable for its consistency, but so what?

Hari Seldon

Snowcrash.jpg

I just started it (from Audible). The first 20 mins are about delivering a pizza haha. Very entertaining and different so far.

sparky2112 said:
Yes, it's overrated. I suppose the voice Salinger used throughout is remarkable for its consistency, but so what?

It's a good book, yes even a classic, but I wouldn't call it one of my favorites. I don't think overrated is even appropriate, though. Just say you don't like it, there's nothing wrong with not liking a widely regarded classic. The guy captured not only a unique character's voice remarkably well, but a feeling of the time. Millions of people relate to the book, and it's held up very well, and that's pretty amazing.

Ironborn

Banned
just finished king's "under the dome" - fucking amazing, while i didn't really care for "the stand" (the whole book, i was waiting for that guy with the scythe from the cover to turn up :lol ), this is probably one of the top 10 books i've ever read

Just started reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville on GAF's reccomendation - bizarre so far, but a hundred or so pages in and i'm enjoying it.

large_perdido_street_station_uk.jpg

Before that I was reading Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding and found it to be a highly enjoyable adventure about a crew of sky pirates set up for the murder of the Archduke's son;

n272382.jpg

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hari Seldon said:
Snowcrash.jpg

I just started it (from Audible). The first 20 mins are about delivering a pizza haha. Very entertaining and different so far.
Not just delivering pizza; it's the greatest swordsman in the world delivering pizza for the mafia in a world where pizza delivery is a 4 year degree. :lol

Anyone that has not read the first chapter or two of Snow Crash needs to go do it right now. You can get them for free on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553380958/?tag=neogaf0e-20

FnordChan

WanderingWind said:
Trust me - the prequel is like, a thousand times better. The climax is spectacular.

You're underestimating the sort of satisfaction obtained from reading a long-running series. It requires a large investment of time and energy, but the payoff is absolutely worth it.

FnordChan

finowns

I got the Young Miles omnibus thanks for recommendation Fnord! great story. I read The Warriors Apprentice and started the mountains of mourning.

I have a question though:

the young miles omnibus has Warriors Apprentice, Mts of Mourning, and the Vor Game but wikipedia is showing borders of infinity and brothers in arms before Vor Game. Am I missing some books or what?

FnordChan

finowns said:
the young miles omnibus has Warriors Apprentice, Mts of Mourning, and the Vor Game but wikipedia is showing borders of infinity and brothers in arms before Vor Game. Am I missing some books or what?

The Vorkosigan omnibus volumes are set, more or less, in internal series chronological order rather than in publication order. I'm generally a strong proponent of publication order, but in this case I don't think it matters overly; I myself started reading the series with The Vor Game, then went back and started to fill in gaps from there. You're in a good position to either finish reading that volume and continue with the omnibus editions from there or to read the series in publication order, whichever you prefer. Either way, you may want to backtrack to read the Cordelia's Honor omnibus, which contains both the first and sixth books of the series in publication order, and two of the very first in chronological order.

Like I said, in this case I don't think it's going to be a big deal either way. As long as you're reading and enjoying the series - and, if you liked The Warrior's Apprentice, you'll definitely want to read some of the later books in the series when things really kick into gear - it's all good.

FnordChan

Lear

Sadly this rather scary pile of textbooks is the only thing I'll have time to read until my exams are over at the end of March.
egxrt3.jpg

2rfc5dh.jpg

Rapstah

That new (-ish) Dan Brown book. Neither a bad nor good book. It dragged on way too long for an ending that ended way too fast. I prefer having read it to not having though!

Lear said:
Sadly this rather scary pile of textbooks is the only thing I'll have time to read until my exams are over at the end of March.

*pics of copious amounts of textbooks for law*

You do know there's a difference between required and recommended on the book list? In particular, that seems like a ludicrous amount of CrimLaw texbooks you have there - assuming those bottom four are dedicated to the subject. Then again, I could have had less weightier reading on that front due to living in a jurisdiction with a criminal code.

Karakand

sparky2112 said:
But...but...it's the sacred text of GAF!!!!!

After reading a book about a man with no friends and only targets Salinger looks like one of the masters.

Undeux

hand banana said:

I'm with you. I loved it when I was 12 or 13, but, for better or worse, I think if I reread it today I'd just find it frustrating and naive.

Bootaaay said:
I love covers like this. I'm sold enough to at least try a few chapters based on the cover alone. Kind of sad.

Lear said:
Looks like my book pile from a few years ago, just add some Land Law and Equity and Trusts textbooks and that would be it.

Anyway, just finished reading the Green Mile again and it's been an absolute pleasure as always. Definitely one of Stephen King's best novels.

GreenMile.png

Undeux said:
I love covers like this. I'm sold enough to at least try a few chapters based on the cover alone. Kind of sad.

If the buzz is to be believed, it's the steampunk equivalent of Firefly. Tall order, but certainly enough to get on my to-read list.

Arment

Darkness_That_Comes_Before.jpg

Just finished this one. It came recommended, but I doubt I'll finish the trilogy if it's as boring as this book was.

Starting back into the Farseer Trilogy tonight.

Gameboy415

I finished this about a week and a half ago:

182f81b0c8a015f06e26d110.L._AA240_.jpg

Then read through this for the first time in over 16 years:

cd6a820dd7a0dadea31fe010.L._AA240_.jpg

Reading this one now:

51MPGN1E5VL._SS500_.jpg

TheOddOne

Lear said:
egxrt3.jpg

2rfc5dh.jpg
Damn man, damn.

Finished my Criminal Law II exam last week. Tommorow Administrative Law II :(

Salazar

Tim Powers' The Stress of Her Regard.

Set early in the 19th century, Powers's ( On Stranger Tides ) seventh novel is a horror story that wonderfully evokes the period. On the stormy night before his wedding, Dr. Michael Crawford, in an ill-advised moment while drinking and carousing with two of his friends, slips his intended's ring on the finger of a statue of a woman in the inn's courtyard. The next morning the statue has disappeared. Disturbed, Crawford purchases a new ring and goes to his wedding. The night's celebrations are followed by a morning infinitely more horrifying than the previous one--Crawford awakens to find his bride murdered. Doubting his own sanity, he flees England, becoming aware that he is pursued by a lamia --a malignant female spirit. He seeks help from his friends, the poets Byron and Shelley, who, it turns out, have experience with such a monster. Strewn with literary personages and allusions, the book is entertaining on several levels, but most particularly as a chilling horror-adventure.

Terrific, so far.

I just finished Redmond O'Hanlon's book about travelling in Borneo with James Fenton. That was also superb, as indeed are all his books.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
under-the-dome.jpg

about to crack into this... got the hardcover. I hate hardcovers, can't really take it on the train with me.

Finished up The Lies of Locke Lamora. I have to say that I was really impressed with this book. The characters were fun, the plot was tense, and the world was well realized. Once the endgame begins, everything kicks into high-gear and ends with an amazing series of events. Locke really shines in the finale.

Now, I'm moving on to On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan. Really loved Atonement, so I have high hopes for this book, and it should satiate my desire for something that's not fantasy for a bit.

catfish said:
about to crack into this... got the hardcover. I hate hardcovers, can't really take it on the train with me.
I just started that as well. It's gonna take me forever because I normally read on the bus and as you pointed out, it's not travel friendly. So I'm gonna have to go through this at home where there are tons of distractions. Plus it's something like 1,170 pages!

Top Bottom