• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite arcade games that didn't receive ports?

YoungBuck219

Neo Member
WWF WrestleFest

I'm not sure if a port was made.

wwfwfest.png

Arcade_0201_09.png

jholmes

No home release could really do it justice, but F-Zero AX is one of my all-time favourites:

F-Zero_AX_deluxe_cabinet.jpg

Another favourite is the Simpsons arcade game. That did get a port but that port has since been pulled from the market, so we're back to not having it again, so I guess it counts?

system11

Just as upsetting are the many arcade games which only had poor ports. Consider for a moment the many depressing versions of Robocop.

Jamix012

I want the Arcade versions of Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong...not trash ports Nintendo.

You can buy Donkey Kong 64 and play for 15 hours to unlock it? lol. Yeah I know it's actually rebuilt from the ground up, but I doubt anyone can actually tell the difference.

AQMjD6e.jpg

Played this a lot back when Chinatown Fair was still alive. That pink haired Kendo girl was my favorite. The things I'd give for a port to home systems w/ online.

Also, Ollie King looks interesting even though the only thing I know about it is that it has music by Hideki Naganuma.

Moofers

Yes! The holy grail of arcade beatem ups.

Midway's The Grid. Very simple, silly death match type game that used a flight stick and track ball for controls. It controlled surprisingly well once you go the hang of it. It was supposed to come out for Dreamcast but it never materialized.

Right on. Years ago, this mall in Atlanta had three of these linked for a quarter per play. Good times in this days. Remember the secret MK characters?

Also, CARNEVIL

http://youtu.be/DT9OdJ5snoQ

I so wish this would come home one day. Never even got included in the midway arcade collections.

Muscle Bomber/Ring of Destruction I & II Please Capcom!

(I know the first one got a SNES/Genesis port, but I want the arcade version.)

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Right on. Years ago, this mall in Atlanta had three of these linked for a quarter per play. Good times in this days. Remember the secret MK characters?

Yes. Also the announcer guy... when you unlocked him and selected him he would say "meeeee!!" instead of the character's name. My favorite character was Trixie though. Her super power (invisibility) was OP as shit. Everyone played as her...people constantly cloaking and de-cloaking. It almost became a mini-game on who would stay hidden the longest.

baphomet

AQMjD6e.jpg

Played this a lot back when Chinatown Fair was still alive. That pink haired Kendo girl was my favorite. The things I'd give for a port to home systems w/ online.

Also, Ollie King looks interesting even though the only thing I know about it is that it has music by Hideki Naganuma.

It got ported to ps2. I own the arcade board of it though.

Meesh

+1 for Aliens vs Predator!

I'm probably in the minority who really loved Cadillac and Dinosaurs. Bring it back Capcom, bring it hard.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My favorite Capcom beat 'em up:

Licensing is probably a nightmare for this. That and it'd probably sell like ass, anyway. Battle Circuit too, I guess, though I imagine Cpaocm not porting that is more out of total disinterest.

Cadillacs & Dinosaurs is the best beat-em-up ever. That shit is so, so good.

I really need to buy the PCB some day.

jholmes

Can't you unlock AX's content in GX?

If you didn't know already...you can unlock an AX cup in GX. Also the entire arcade game itself can be accessed/played if you have an Action Replay, though I have never done it myself.

I do know this and I brought a memory card with me to unlock the courses on the cabinet. It's still not a port of the full game, and nothing is going to simulate that cabinet at home.

Dead or Alive ++
I'm going to try and get a cabinet some day. I put some moveset videos up on YouTube for two characters. I should get around to a few more. 1 2

For me, it would have to be Sega's Spider-man: The Video Game. It was a great side-scrolling beat 'em up that had side-scrolling shooting levels mixed in, ala Contra. Also, the game was a quartery thief in that, like Gauntlet, you health was always ticking down and you had to find health pickups to replenish it. It may sound strange, but for a kid in the 90's who was infatuated with Spider-man, it was amazing!

spiderman01.jpg

2584_2.png

2584_1.png

Always loved these two in arcades. Don't think we ever saw stateside releases on home console.

maxresdefault.jpg

And

von400.jpg

Both played many hours as a young lad.

gelf

Always loved these two in arcades. Don't think we ever saw stateside releases on home console.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/LcFT5YWmQbs/maxresdefault.jpg[/img

And

[img]http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/machines/mimage/von400.jpg

Both played many hours as a young lad.

Virtual On got a Saturn and a PC release. You can even get a twin stick controller.

Virtual On got a Saturn and a PC release. You can even get a twin stick controller.

Is it that arcade version though? Always thought they were inferior products and even remember when Sega was seemingly trying to revive it the newer stuff didn't look too true to the arcade either.

Is it that arcade version though? Always thought they were inferior products and even remember when Sega was seemingly trying to revive it the newer stuff didn't look too true to the arcade either.

The Sega AGES PS2 version should be pretty solid, and if the other AM2 ports are anything to go by, so should the (Japanese only, but getting it off JP PSN shouldn't be too hard) XBL/PSN port.

Not sure about the availability of proper twin-stick controllers for those platforms, though.

gelf

If this thread was "games that didn't get Arcade Perfect ports" it would apply (and also make for a very very long list) but I assume we're looking for games that never got a home port at all. Its not arcade perfect by a long shot but I thought the Saturn version was pretty good.

brainpann

E.S.P. Ra De is one of the most amazing shooters I have ever played, yet never recieved an kind of home port. I guess playing the sequel on my iPhone is cool, ,but I prefer the first one.
espyusu-1.gif

Came to post this. Awesome game and sadly no home port.

Also want to mention Police Trainer. I love this game and would have loved to have seen it ported to playstation or Saturn.

Konami's Poly Stars Tobe! looked a bit like Twinbee in 3D polygon form, never released on home consoles and AFAIK not even emulated on MAME.

Top Bottom