• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite dragon designs?

Exodust

Banned
Dragons are fucking dope. I think all us dorks can agree on that. Since there's so many different depictions across hundreds of mythology and thousands made within all mediums there's a metric fuckton of cool ass dragons out there.

Hell, I struggle to think of some because I've seen a lot of cool ones over the years but forget where they're from and what they're called, but in order to contribute to this thread here's this:

poohadventures.com-smaug.jpg

While I don't like any of The Hobbit movies, Smaug was great. Love his design, and seeing him in big budget hollywood glory was worth the ticket for an average movie.

The GOAT is still King Ghidorah:

2831788-front.jpg

Yeah, I just wanted an excuse to look at awesome dragon art, sue me.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Nicol Bolas from magic the gathering. MTG in general has the best Dragon depictions.
On mobile otherwise I'd link some pictures.
New design bolas obviously, not the old green dork version.

Griss

Deathwing from WoW is a pretty cool version of the super-powerful, heavyset dragon.

And here's an example of an ancient, thousand year old dragon of slighter build:
WYrImMB.jpg

lol

I actually don't think dragons are cool, not by default at least. They're too overplayed. But my favorite dragon design is probably Seath the Scaleless from Dark Souls. Mostly because he's so damn weird.

No scales, no eyes, insect(?) wings, tentacles instead of legs, and breathes crystals instead of fire. What a freakazoid. I love him.

Umibozu

The record of Lodoss war universe seems to have some cool dragons that have some good variety. Scaled, haired, feathered, aquatic, airborne, and land based dragons with varying designs.

Elder dragons pictured below:
1950dd8ad6d27058ccb8661215d671c3.jpg

DrArchon

A recent dragon design that I'm a big fan of is Glorybringer from the new Magic the Gathering set.

Fuck you, it's a crocodile dragon! Wearing armor and an Egyptian headdress! It even has the makeup around the eye, which just goes to show how much detail went into this design

Also OP, King Ghidora is only the 2nd best dragon ever. The real GOAT dragon is Mecha King Ghidora.

latest

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Put me down for "All of them." Dragons are bad ass.

As for my favorite favorites, I lean toward massive, world-ending black dragons like Ancalagon.

3817203-dragon_of_the_first_age_by_rubendevela.jpg

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I never saw the actual design but the dragons I imagined from Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series sounded cool.

Massive fucking spoiler:
[the ships were made from them]

Toxi

Banned
Rathalos and Rathian from Monster Hunter (Yes, I know they're wyverns, not Elder Dragons. They're still giant winged fire-breathing venomous reptiles)

Darkeater Midir from Dark Souls 3

tumblr_onl68cwbx41ufnwh1o1_500.gif

tumblr_oo16rxyFLb1unxlj8o2_540.gif

WPS

Who's the anime girl?

Nowi from Fire Emblem Awakening. She's a Manakete, a race with both humanoid and draconic forms. The series has a history of oh-they-just-look-like-a-young-girl-they're-really-a-5000-year-old-dragon, but Nowi is a special kind of awful. Her dragon form isn't too bad of a design, it looks like a weedy sea dragon as an actual dragon, but fortunately, Awakening has other, less appaling characters with the same dragon design.

Talking of Fire Emblem, I've always liked PoR and RD's black dragons (it helps that non of them are pre-adolescent girls):

Pokémon has some great dragons too. I'm a big fan of Kyurem's undead like design.

Forreal though, Reign of Fire had the best dragons I've ever seen in a movie:

[IMG]https://giffiles.alphacoders.com/246/24693.gif

Reign-of-Fire_32.jpg

Reign+of+fire+dragons+_8e239a87494863da8615573690b40faa.jpg

Yeah these are my fav.

Their designs make the most sense too.

If a reptile could fly, it wouldn't have four legs + two wings. It would have two legs + two bigass wings.

Deathwing from WarCraft, specifically his redisgn from Cataclysm.

A twisted abomination of molten flesh and steel being barely held together by his own rage.

Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls.

I would post Tiamat's designs from the SMT games, but thats a dragon in name only and also NSFW

Top Bottom