• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Are Your Favorite Hip-Hop Album Covers?

I am a fiend for art and I was wondering what are some of your favorite rap and hip-hop album covers. What makes a good cover for you? On the surface I just want it to look cool. Have good image quality and have something interesting going on in the image. Covers that are a solid color with just a single simply drawn image are bland to me. Also those low image quality covers with the big ass loud text I can't stand. They look cheap and like it was laying in some pawn shop or corner store. If there are any covers that convey that content within the music, then that's a major plus. Here are a few of my favorites:

poizonposse.png
Squad pics are common for rap album covers and I just randomly happened to run into this and thought the image was pretty cool, but that spot at light in the bottom right corner is a flaw. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be there or if it's a faded spot or a glare from the plastic. This is actually a single cover, but it's way better than their actual album cover.

74634de6089a63bd82483f989b7aa52b--hiphop-butterflies.jpg

tumblr_l7qxtcZyaQ1qzw9if.jpg

I still haven't listened to this album yet, but I've seen this art around a lot and it really makes me want to. The Wu-Tang clan are comic book and martial art movie lovers and this is represented in this cover. This shit is just badass. Just some hip-hop dudes fighting ninjas on a checkerboard.

album_score.jpg

This type of album cover is almost as common as the portrait shot. It's rather simple with just the three artists heads among a black background with the title, but the contrast with the orange being bright and the black being dark with the brown of their skin in between makes it stand out among others. It's an iconic cover. I would've gone with The Miseducation, but I don't consider it a rap album since you know, it just has three rap songs on it.

Code:
[IMG]https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a3833259611_5.jpg[/IMG]
This has sort of a comic booky look to it as well. The colors really pop.

myx6ruinjx52y8trmos0.jpg

Things Fall Apart has this cover and one of a crying black child. I could have gone with either cover, but I chose this one because this one feels like you're in the middle of a dire moment. I have to look up the meaning behind this album cover, but it looks like it's a photo from during the Civil Rights movement.

4397335363_f1a1292bfe.jpg

The ink outlines really help this stand out along with the red and green contrasts. The album cover has a very eden-like thing going on with it as well. I feel like maybe this is supposed to represent something in the album, but I'm not sure.

Code:
[IMG]http://images.genius.com/57f021c32baf089bbe7e3bd01693bd0a.1000x1000x1.jpg[/IMG]
Slum Village - Yes!
This is one of those 50s inspired covers, but with black people in it so I'm not instantly reminded of the racism from that time period. I also really like the YES! text particularly the purple ! and the green Y stand out.

Code:
[IMG]https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000211922391-2sujdu-t500x500.jpg[/IMG]
Not only is this cover great, but this album is too. My personal favorite of the year so far. This cover features the silhouette of a young girl with a sunset in her torso with a pair of hands touching her shoulders. There is a lot of orange and yellow in this album cover that gives it a warm feeling. This is also the only album cover I can see a connection to the music. The title, The Past Is Always Present in the Future I feel represents how history has relevance today and also with your past shapes the current generation. There is a song on here called "In My Daughter's Eyes" that talks about Substantial's relationship with his daughter and what he wants for her. This album cover is likely her and he also has an album cover that's exactly the same as this, but with himself in the middle. It's a nice connection there.

Those are just a few of mine.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
This is going to turn into "post the most ironically good pen and pixel cover" thread isn't it.

Chuckie

tumblr_l7qxtcZyaQ1qzw9if.jpg

I still haven't listened to this album yet, but I've seen this art around a lot and it really makes me want to. The Wu-Tang clan are comic book and martial art movie lovers and this is represented in this cover. This shit is just badass. Just some hip-hop dudes fighting ninjas on a checkerboard.

You really need to change that fact. In my opinion one of the (if not the) best hip hop albums I ever listened to.

Dynomutt

Madvillainy_cover.png

I don't know what can be said about Madvillainy that hasn't already been said.

Eye like this album alot...

I need to join Hip-Hop Gaf but I think I might be considered a bit restrictive with my listening. My ears are allergic to bullshit and I'm mad picky.

Let me add two more:
city_lights_shibuya.jpg

a1363607598_16.jpg

79vFnYr.jpg

Semi Hendrix

I don't like this album, but I listened to it, but this cover caught my eye and it's damn good. firstly, I just appreciate how poppin the colors are and the image quality. Too many of these rap covers just look dull and ashy to me like those Tribe Called Quest covers. I'm not sure why y'all like those. With this Semi Hendrix album cover there's a lot going on visually. There's two people sitting behind a food counter, some child sitting underneath playing the drums, and some giant dude sitting underneath the thingy there. You have the weird cabbages and red plants. The counter and background is straight black. The weird ghostly smoke and the creatures floating above have a Asian feel to it. There's definitely some Asian influence here and it makes it feel like it's taking place in some kind of magical void. The only bad thing about it in my opinion is that it's hard to read the artist's name on it. The artist went a little too crazy with the fire.

Most recently:
R-5780313-1402442991-5972.jpeg

(It's the best quality I could find. Probably my favorite album of the past five years.)

But a few of my favorites that haven't been mentioned are:

MI0001621078.jpg

184-1992.jpg

Ice_Cube-Death_Certificate_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Mobbdeeptheinfamous1995.jpg

(which I've had on constant repeat again since P's passing.)

raekwon-only-built-2-cuban-linx.jpg

And all the obvious ones from '93 to '98 that will surely be posted here that haven't been already.

PillarEN

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0993/9646/products/VNU1003CD_1177ead9-41ac-4fab-9e45-c2c0a8cf7360_1024x1024.jpeg?v=1466386939[/IMG]

I remember a long time ago a Gaffer bought this for his old man but the the stack of other CDs was blocking part of the image so I couldn't tell who the artist was and I was only a lurker at that point.

Artist: Kno
Album: Death is Silent

BRYCKER

On mobile and an idiot, so I can't post the pic, but my vote is for Biggie's Ready to Die with the dopest baby I know.

Edit: 'dopest' not 'doorstep'

zerotol

Banned
This record came out in 1992 and was politically aimed at George Bush Sr. It's heavy handed on the skits in between tracks, but it's still relevant and on point

R-348637-1433599435-8979.jpeg.jpg

Top Bottom