• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite unported arcade games? Here's mine

molasar

Banned
Then why raise the desire for seeing Warrior Blade on a compilation disc when compilation discs are known to be emulation? I think you might have over complicated a simple question.

The simple answer is that the game was released officially for a home console and is available in a packaged format.

All I can do is suggest you to read a topic of this thread again. Also the OP did not request moderators to change it and he knows what the emulation is about. No grey area here.

He raised the desire because the game was not officially released worldwide, and he probably did not know about officially emulated Japanese version for PS2.

lingpanda

star-wars-trilogy-1.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Tekken Tag on PS2. Seriously, the leap between this and the arcade version was MASSIVE on a visual scale, even moreso in many ways than Soul Calibur was from arcade to Dreamcast. Here's the arcade Tekken Tag version by comparison:

They're absolutely generations apart visually despite being essentially the same game.

And people are worried about cross-gen XSX games being held back by the previous gen systems :pie_roffles:

There was an HD version of TTT for the ps3. Shame that never got ported to the ps4/5/twix.

Dazrael

I guess, and it’s all relative, to me “unported” is an ease of play situation along with how close to the original it is.

I did another one on Bubble Symphony. It in fact did release as a Korean exclusive PC release. I own a copy but it’s basically unicorn levels of rare. So for the large majority of people it’s locked to arcade

the Taito compilation is expensive, and it’s a Japanese release. So you a) need to drop a lot of $$, and b) either mod your PS2 or buy a Japanese unported one.

similar with Splatterhouse. The PC version and FM Towns version are “near” arcade perfect, but one relies on emulation that’s flawed, and the other isn’t arcade perfect. So I guess the arcade original is “unported”

but a “port” is so subjective.

something like Scud Race is truly “unported”, as it’s either emulation or arcade board.

but honestly it’s super subjective :) some arcade games have home ports that are so bad it’s barely like playing the original.

I do see what you mean and it is super subjective but I don’t know if I entirely understand your logic for “porting” a game. To say that the FM Towns version of Splatterhouse isn’t a port because it’s not quite arcade perfect doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been ported. By these means would you accept the Wii Virtual Console version of Splatterhouse as being more of a port as it emulates the arcade more accurately? What about all those ports of other games on the Genesis and SNES? Do they not count?

Don’t get me wrong I know that things do get subjective but to say games that aren’t as accurate as they could be to not be ports is inaccurate. Would you class a port as something like the Shottriggers games on PS4? By this standard then not a lot of games have been ported at all.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
A few old-schoolers:

Gorf
Pleiades
Krull
Journey

Pleiades was released on original Xbox in a Tecmo compilation but it's not BC anymore and unless you want to hook that behemoth back up I don't think it's available anywhere
The other three I have never seen ported to any console.

lock2k

Banned
A few old-schoolers:

Gorf
Pleiades
Krull
Journey

Pleiades was released on original Xbox in a Tecmo compilation but it's not BC anymore and unless you want to hook that behemoth back up I don't think it's available anywhere
The other three I have never seen ported to any console.

I have mine hooked up. :D

VGEsoterica

Looks like you might have struck gold with that answer 👍

it’s a bit “ease of use” too. Nobody will stumble across Rastan Saga III unless they know it’s on a Japanese only compilation. It could be a good option for download on steam / PS4 / Xbone.

so that’s a bit of my feeling as well :)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That’s a new one to me. Interesting control setup
There's actually different set ups. The one I played was the one I showed, which uses a dial knob to turn. I didn't know it, but these cabinets were repurposed from old Tron cabs. Out of all the arcading I did as a kid, I only saw Two Tigers at one arcade.

The real Two Tiger cabinets had flight stick controls. Never knew that until maybe 5 years ago.

1181242184152.jpg

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Using the same thread here.

I don’t understand Sega. They had a hit with Scud Race, showed off previews for it coming to Dreamcast...and then never released it!?

Sega’s history is rife with amazing arcade games that never made it home, but Scud Race feels particularly unfair as they previewed a port. I wonder if any prototypes still exist or if they even got that far? Might be another thing to add to my list of items to research and hunt for

but a “port” is so subjective.
A game port is a program adapted to run on another platform, compromises are often necessary.

Look at all the versions of Doom 2016, the Witcher 3, etc. All ported to many platforms with the latest techniques.

Back in the 8/16 bit days the compromises made for the switch port of doom 2016 would have looked like no compromises at all when compared to what you needed to so to port a game like space harrier from the arcade:

To the ZX spectrum:

Which is a feat in and of itself, and definitely a port.

BlackTron

I think it would be nice now, never mind then.

oh id totally take a modern port of Star Wars Arcade. Especially in VR! Something tells me though that Disney would charge way too much money for the license to ever make it profitable though sadly

Back then:

My Star Wars fandom was at its peak

The game was made by Sega at a time many of their arcade games had a decent shot of landing on Dreamcast, and I was hungry for Star Wars titles

Rogue Squadron II hadn't come out yet, which made SWTA less of a graphics showcase

Disney had not yet acquired the license and destroyed the brand, along with my enthusiasm for it

The release would still have immortalized the game as available to play for all time

But yeah I'd still take it now, better than nothing I suppose lol.

SirTerry-T

A game port is a program adapted to run on another platform, compromises are often necessary.

Look at all the versions of Doom 2016, the Witcher 3, etc. All ported to many platforms with the latest techniques.

Back in the 8/16 bit days the compromises made for the switch port of doom 2016 would have looked like no compromises at all when compared to what you needed to so to port a game like space harrier from the arcade:

To the ZX spectrum:

Which is a feat in and of itself, and definitely a port.

Yeah people can and do take the piss out of the Spectrum, sometimes justified, more than often not...but Keith Burkhill worked some magic on that Space Harrier port. Especially when you take everything into consideration as far as the vast differences in the arcade and ZX Spectrum hardware.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Back then:

My Star Wars fandom was at its peak

The game was made by Sega at a time many of their arcade games had a decent shot of landing on Dreamcast, and I was hungry for Star Wars titles

Rogue Squadron II hadn't come out yet, which made SWTA less of a graphics showcase

Disney had not yet acquired the license and destroyed the brand, along with my enthusiasm for it

The release would still have immortalized the game as available to play for all time

But yeah I'd still take it now, better than nothing I suppose lol.
Star wars the arcade and Star Wars trilogy were 2 different games with the latter being realy good still to this day

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Another game I liked but only saw it at one arcade. Hard game. The guy doing the longplay makes it look easy, but I remember it as tough. Didn't know it was a 1988 game. I remember playing it early 90s.

First thing that I thought of was Saint Dragon, but apparently they made a PC port

Stdragonzx.png

They also made a Combatribes SNES version!?!?! Holy shit, I am finding this out 30 years later :messenger_hushed:
Combatribes is one of my favorite SNES games. Me and a neighbor rented it from blockbusters back in the day and played the living shit out of it. The. Like a year later Walmart replaced a crap arcade game with the actual Combatribes cabinet and we must have lost hours there. Fucking quarter suckers those Walmart cabs were. Then it was replaced by Crusin USA and we never looked back.

Mokrawr

Banned
Recently I've been compiling a list of my favorite unported arcade games so I can talk about them like I do with rare and obscure hardware (3DO M2, Hyper Neo Geo 64, etc) but I realize "favorites" is always such a subjective topic.

I started with Warrior Blade : Rastan Saga III. I fell in love with it at Village Pizza in Okemo, Vermont. Weirdly the place always had random cabinets in the place, and around 2004 they had Rastan Saga III in the full dual monitor "ultrawide" setup. It was widescreen gaming before widescreens were actually a thing...something Taito used for Darius and would continue to iterate on with their "ultra ultrawide" Darius Burst : Chronicle Savior. It makes perfect sense why this wasn't ported though...an ultrawide game in arcades in 1993 doesn't leave you with a ton to port it to! Still wish Taito would include it in a compilation at some point in time though.

But I am curious what your top unported arcade games are? There are SO many of them, both popular and obscure AF. I may do a second set of ten games, as talking about ten of my personal favorites was a really fun time.
Recently I've been compiling a list of my favorite unported arcade games so I can talk about them like I do with rare and obscure hardware (3DO M2, Hyper Neo Geo 64, etc) but I realize "favorites" is always such a subjective topic.

I started with Warrior Blade : Rastan Saga III. I fell in love with it at Village Pizza in Okemo, Vermont. Weirdly the place always had random cabinets in the place, and around 2004 they had Rastan Saga III in the full dual monitor "ultrawide" setup. It was widescreen gaming before widescreens were actually a thing...something Taito used for Darius and would continue to iterate on with their "ultra ultrawide" Darius Burst : Chronicle Savior. It makes perfect sense why this wasn't ported though...an ultrawide game in arcades in 1993 doesn't leave you with a ton to port it to! Still wish Taito would include it in a compilation at some point in time though.

But I am curious what your top unported arcade games are? There are SO many of them, both popular and obscure AF. I may do a second set of ten games, as talking about ten of my personal favorites was a really fun time.

My favorite unported arcade games:

1. NBA Jam 2. Street Fighter II/Champion Edition 3. Pac-Man 4. Mortal Kombat

Especially Mortal Konbat, it mightn't be the most finessed fighter out there, but when it came to pulling in the quarters, it's second only to the even-more-legendary Street Fighter series for making money.

My favorite unported arcade games:

1. NBA Jam 2. Street Fighter II/Champion Edition 3. Pac-Man 4. Mortal Kombat

Especially Mortal Konbat, it mightn't be the most finessed fighter out there, but when it came to pulling in the quarters, it's second only to the even-more-legendary Street Fighter series for making money.
NBA jam 2:
It's on so many 16 and 32bits platform it's not even funny.

SF II championship edition:

Mortal Kombat was ported to all these systems so far, the early DOS port was pretty close to the original.

There has got to be one that counts as a port!
  • Arcade
  • Super NES
  • Mega Drive/Genesis
  • Mega CD/Sega CD
  • Amiga
  • Game Gear
  • Game Boy
  • Sega Master System
  • MS-DOS
  • PlayStation 2 (with Mortal Kombat: Deception Premium Pack)
  • PSP (as part of Midway Arcade Treasures: Extended Play)
  • Mobile Phone
  • PlayStation 3,
  • Xbox 360,
  • Windows PC (as part of Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection)

Yeah people can and do take the piss out of the Spectrum, sometimes justified, more than often not...but Keith Burkhill worked some magic on that Space Harrier port. Especially when you take everything into consideration as far as the vast differences in the arcade and ZX Spectrum hardware.
I'm not from the UK, so I have no nostalgia for the system, but the space harrier port is a pretty impressive thing to see on a system that has the color limitations and computing ressources it has!

Otherwise there are a few demos that are very impressive in it as well (like on other 8-bit platforms).

VGEsoterica

I still cant believe something like Batrider (or Armed Police Batrider if you want to be formal about it lol) was never ported to Dreamcast or even PS2. One of the best shmups imo of all time and it's still locked down to it's original PCB. Maybe with M2 finally porting something like Tatsujin Oh / Truxton II, Batrider may have a chance (although the value of my FM Towns copy of Tatsujin Oh is going to plummet as a result haha)

Just goes to show how many arcade games still need home ports. The list is still infinitely long

Rayderism

There were very few faithful ports of the old classic arcade game GORF that had the Galaxian section. I think only Amiga and GBA ever got a faithful port.

I don't think Jr. Pac Man has had a port since the 8bit days. I do have a homebrew emulation of it on NDS, but would rather have an official port.

NT80

Planer Harriers
Golden Axe: Reveng of Death Adder
Virtua Cop 3
Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned and 5R

VF4FT especially would've been big at the time as it would've kept are group of players going with tournaments and sessions. There was only 1 arcade to play it on as it was.

VGEsoterica

Planer Harriers
Golden Axe: Reveng of Death Adder
Virtua Cop 3
Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned and 5R

VF4FT especially would've been big at the time as it would've kept are group of players going with tournaments and sessions. There was only 1 arcade to play it on as it was.

Have you been reading my notepad over my shoulder or something? Lol two of those four games are coming up eventually

Dazrael

I always thought it crazy that none of the IGS PGM games ever came home, well apart from Spectral Vs Generation on PS2. I would have loved ports of Demon Front and Road of the Sword.

A home console version of the PGM a la the Neo Geo AES would have been amazing but sadly it was never meant to be.

VGEsoterica

I always thought it crazy that none of the IGS PGM games ever came home, well apart from Spectral Vs Generation on PS2. I would have loved ports of Demon Front and Road of the Sword.

A home console version of the PGM a la the Neo Geo AES would have been amazing but sadly it was never meant to be.

PGM is on my shopping list moving forward :) some great games

petran79

Banned
Gals Panic and Miss World 96

This got a mention yet? I've heard it's one of the "Holy Grails" of unported machines?
Arabian Fight (Sega 1992)

Arabian Fight features sound only in the Taito Legends collection. On MAME it is mute. Same for 2 other games that have issues on MAME

Top Bottom