• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your gaming New Year’s resolutions?

Fredrik

Steam and console yearly stats show that I’ve already started a change, will keep going in 2024 as well.

Focus on PC. No day 1 purchases on consoles, will only play day 1 when something is available through subscription services.
I can’t justify spending day 1 money usually out of fomo when I barely use the consoles. I finished zero games on console in 2023. I have 46 hours logged in total on Xbox in 2023 and 18 hours on PS5, stats showed that my most played console game was a LEGO game my kids played, and 50 minutes on console BG3, trying to refund. My console days are over.

With all the post-release patching going on I think it’ll be okay to wait for sales or late PC or subscription library releases.

We’ll see how it goes.

Like OP, all my gaming subs have lapsed and I have no intention on renewing them. I played PS5 online a handful of times this year and played maybe 4 or 5 games on Extra but never finished them. It's such a waste of money for me personally.

Things I'll try to commit to this year
  • Buying significantly less games this coming year. I'll grab Dragons Dogma 2 and Elden Ring DLC, but that's it with regard to day one stuff.
  • Play and actually finish the games I have installed on my Steam Deck/PC and Switch. I've been guilty of just collecting stuff and not playing them.
  • Spending less time looking up gaming related content and more time on personal growth. I have a lot of hobbies and things going on in my life that I'm passionate about, gaming takes up too much of that for me.

Mr Hyde

Like OP, all my gaming subs have lapsed and I have no intention on renewing them. I played PS5 online a handful of times this year and played maybe 4 or 5 games on Extra but never finished them. It's such a waste of money for me personally.

Things I'll try to commit to this year
  • Buying significantly less games this coming year. I'll grab Dragons Dogma 2 and Elden Ring DLC, but that's it with regard to day one stuff.
  • Play and actually finish the games I have installed on my Steam Deck/PC and Switch. I've been guilty of just collecting stuff and not playing them.
  • Spending less time looking up gaming related content and more time on personal growth. I have a lot of hobbies and things going on in my life that I'm passionate about, gaming takes up too much of that for me.

Since I'm too lazy to write down my own resolutions I'll just quote yours, because that's exactly how I feel, right down to the T.

Kenpachii

- making a gaming room
- maybe build a new desktop
- buy switch 2
- finish they are billions hardest mode hardest map.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Zero pre orders. Nothing in it for me.

Consider "does this need to be patched?" And if necessary, wait until the game is patched before buying.

Work on the backlog.

Try and avoid getting caught up in hype.

Never buy more than one game at a time.

Turn on the PS5 and finish the games started there.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I'm also planning to cancel PS+ after about 8 years (it ends in June). I've been finding myself playing less and less monthly Plus games, because I'm either not interested or I already own them. Plus Sony is pushing the Essential subs to upgrade instead of offering similar discounts as in the previous years.

I've bought several games on day 1 this year and got seriously burned with at least 2 of them. No more. RGG games will be the only exception.

Other than that no big resolutions. I know that my backlog isn't going to become smaller and that I'll buy even more games. ;)

Last edited:

elbourreau

- Finishing Death Stranding for the lore and story... I'll do my 3rd attend. Hope it will work this time (it took me 4 or 5 for the wietcher 2 and since I'm a huge fan...)
- Trying to find more time to play VR / AR games. Backlog is increasing...
- Get a PS5 with FF16 and FF7 part2. I got 2 kidneys, maybe I can deal with one...

Lunarorbit

Start a gaming journal. Write down impressions, notes, and drawings about games.

Beat a game before I can buy another. My backlog is getting pretty big.

Cancel gamepass. Played starfield but besides that and vampire survivor I haven't gotten into it at all.

Cancel nso. Same as gamepass. Only used online for animal crossing and that was awhile ago. Plus their emulation is piss poor and extremely slow.

missiles

No remakes - I just get bored no matter how much better the visuals are. Dead Space, Resi 4 looked good but I couldn't find it in me to finish them again.

I've already stopped buying games on day 1 (last one was Elden Ring) but this has served me well and I'll continue it. No exceptions no matter how hard the hype is.

Absolutely no slop that Sweet Baby has contaminated.

Stop trying to convince myself that I like open world games.

Chastten

Banned
After 5 years of almost playing Switch exclusively, it's time to give PC gaming another shot. Just bought Baldur's Gate 3, and after that I wanna try Hogwarts Legacy and Granblue Fantasy Relink. I might even get a Steam Deck or something similar if the Switch 2 announcement takes too long.

Otherwise, no real changes. Only buy new games as I finish older ones to keep the backlog small-ish but I try to do that each year.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Take a trip to Japan, visit Shibuya and the arcade center that belonged to SEGA.

I'll go to Disney Tokyo and Mario Bros. Park, the Square Enix Cafe and the Ghibli Museum or the Gundam Center.

get a Steam Deck OLED or Lenovo Legion Go platform to use emulators.

Buy the successor to Nintendo Switch on day one.

Last edited:

Hudo

Be even more picky when buying games. Maybe waiting for sales more. If the overall quality of the games released (from a design and technical point of view) decreases, while pricing increases (be it directly via $70 price tags or implicity via microtransactions, DLCs, etc.), I'll just be less tolerant of flaws.

Doom85

-get back to and finish Alan Wake 2
-replay Final Fantasy VII Remake and play for the first time the Yuffie DLC before Rebirth releases
-hopefully play and finish Granblue Fantasy Relink when it releases before FF VII Rebirth releases. I have a week vacation during that stretch of time so that should help
-get back to finally completing (in terms of current releases) the Kingdom Hearts series (had finished Birth by Sleep when Baldur’s Gate 3 dropped and consumed my life for roughly the next two months)
-in October, play Fatal Frame 4, Calisto Protocol, and the Seperate Ways DLC for Resident Evil 4 Remake. Maybe get back to and finish The Quarry

In terms of non-gaming resolutions, meh. I actually lost 13 pounds since Thanksgiving, but I’m not setting some sort of goal to stress me out, I’ll just lose it at my own pace. Entertainment goals are fun for me so they don’t stress me out.

Finish Resident Evil 6. My favourite series but that game is absolutely fucking tripe.

My first and only time playing: I finished Leon’s campaign and Sherry’s campaign and:

The rational part of my brain that cares about my psychological well-being: “Good job, we finished RE 6!”
The completionist part of my brain that doesn’t always care about my happiness: “Wait, there’s still Chris’ campaign, and Ada’s-“
Rational part of brain:

Boombox Shut Up GIF

(I honestly think the first 3/5 of Leon’s campaign is decent, it goes downhill after that, and Sherry’s campaign had constant ups and downs like a quality rollercoaster. But Chris’ and Ada’s campaigns just looked so unappealing to me)

Last edited:

phant0m

Be even more picky when buying games. Maybe waiting for sales more.

This is the key, esp for single player games. Unless a game reviews 9/10+ it seems like everything goes on sale 20% off within 30-60 days. Especially physical.

Does anybody else’s GameStop have like…no inventory these days? I was doing Xmas shopping in mine a few weeks ago and they had literally 10 used games for XSX. Maybe 15 for PS5.

Dr. Suchong

I'm creating a bucket list of games to play before I die, across a multitude of formats.
Hopefully I can cross many off it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
  • Also cancelling (rather, not renewing) my PS+ and Game Pass subscriptions
  • Finishing the 52 game challenge here on GAF, for the 10th year!
  • Play more Japanese games

tommib

No more subscription services.
No more Sony day one games at 79 euros.
Keep GT7 at the top of my most played games for another year.
Turn on the PS3 on a regular basis.
Use the PSVR2.
Finish Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur’s Gate 3.

Mortisfacio

Complete more of my Steam backlog. I'm making terrible progress at that due to how stacked the last 6 months were. WoW, D4, BG3, CyberPunk, Lies of P, Starfield, Alan Wake 2, Remnant 2, Cocoon and some others I've been playing instead of my 100+ games I own and never touched.

tommib

I forgot, maybe looking for a model agency. But only pictures.

Will be your first subscriber.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Lol Thanks! 💗

I coincidently subscribed or made an account last week but the interface was quite confusing so yeah

• Play and most importantly finish more JRPGs as next year will be completely full of them lol (I plan on getting a PS Portal to help with that).
  • Read some of the VNs I currently have in my backlog.
  • Hope to stop with the FOMO on these limited physical releases and reprints since it's not good for my wallet. :p
  • In general I'd like to play more video games if my free time allows which probably means less time spent on GAF/Discord/Reddit/etc..

K2D

Banned
Platinum TBOI rebirth, and

Not have a guilty continuous about not playing and finishing more games.

reinking

Gold Member
  • Let PS plus go.
  • Let Game Pass go. (I think that is next year though)
I just want to get back to the days of seeing a game I want to play and purchasing it. These streaming services are great except they have become what Netflix became to me. Load it up, browse around, close the app. They will get the same treatment. If I see something I want to try I will subscribe for a month. If that option gets taken away, I will just move on from them.

• Less "arguing" on the internet. (I will still joke around about games/systems because that part is fun)
Do gamers like to play games more or argue on the internet? I have become somewhat of a hypocrite. For some reason, I have landed in the camp of defending Sony. It is time I remembered my original deal with them. I give them money, they give me a product and the transaction ends there.

• Ditch a few of the time-killer phone games I have been messing with.
They do their job too well and they have become a distraction (even at work). I have other games to play on my phone that are actual games.

• More VR
It is fun. With the Quest 3 MR mode it will be a lot easier to play games on the headset and still multitask to some degree. I will use the PSVR2 for those games that I really want the darkness and focus (7th Guest, etc.).

• JUST HAVE FUN
I think I can sum up all of my resolutions to that. That is what got me into video games in the first place and damned if I am going to out a bitter old man that takes them too seriously.

Last edited:

MikeM

- Tackle my backlog. Only games I won’t wait to play are FFVII Remake and TLOU 2 remastered.

- Not renew PS Plus. I’m moving over to PC full time anyways except for exclusives on PS5.

- Probably gonna cancel GP on PC for now to help in the backlog tackling.

- Make Cyberpunk 2077 my first perfect game on Steam.

Markio128

1. To stop wasting money on PSVR 2 horror games that I’ll never finish and save money on underpants. Win-win.
2. Finish Elden Ring.
3. Save enough credits to buy the 3 legendary cars in GT7.
4. Finish Persona 5 R.
5. Find a PS Portal in stock, then finish some retro-like RPGs from my backlog.

kikkis

Don't buy games unless they are sub 30€ or think carefully if buy even at that.

This year I bought hogwarts, remnant 2, alan wake 2, bg3 and currently trying to at least force to play at least alan wake 2.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I am never ever buying a game on day one again. I have a backlog to deal with, and, I won't be paying £70 for a game ever. I will wait for however long it takes to buy them at around £30. Will be patched by then too.
I’m definitely not buying any AAA games day 1 anymore. Not so much because of the price, but because almost every game gets improvements, bug fixes, DLC etc. If I buy at launch I usually finish the game just before the improvements come out and I wish I had waited.

And then there was Final Fantasy XVI which was maybe the most disappointing release of my gaming career. Never would’ve bought that at all if I’d waited to see the community’s impressions.

My other resolution is a small one: explore the Ys series! I played Origins and liked it. Ys VIII finally clicked with me and I’m about 2/3 through it, just got Ys IX during the Steam winter sale. After that I want to explore the older games in the series.

AndrewRyan

Stop buying so many damn games. Love finding deals and running the wishlist treadmill but it got out of hand in 22, 23. Need to slow down in 24 and not make buying games a hobby in of itself (for now, haha).

Along the same line, need to stick with one or two games until finishing instead of switching so often like a spaz.

PSN+ expires in May and rarely play these days so will take inspiration from this tread and let it lapse.

Play a few visual novel/narrative driven games from my backlog.

Edmund

To master my leverless controller (Razer Kitsune) and to get Master Rank in street fighter 6 and hit at least Blue ranks in Tekken 8.

SHA

Subs were originally created to make you in the end buy more games, even if you haven't noticed a dead wall, believe me, it's there to change your mind and convince you into buying more contents, did you really believed you own all the 9000 dollars worth of contents? that's the tricky part, you don't.

Last edited:

SHA

2024?, no serious plan actually, but I'm interested in the wolf among us 2, Dragons Dogma 2" finally, a large map created by capcom, it's an old wish at least from me", Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2"if you hate the series and liked the new bearded emotional Kratos then that's a biased opinion, but I understand if you're a fan of the original Kratos", Avowed but not so much cause I've just started playing Skyrim so I'm not hyped for it, any other new games with fresh experiences is welcomed for sure regardless of which platform it will release.

spons

Gold Member
Except for 2 Nintendo games, Pikmin 4 and TotK, this year was a yawn fest in the AAA space. I'll give Alan Wake 2 a chance soon, but most of it is the same boring, bland, same-shit tosh I've been playing for ages now. That said, it's all my own fault. I absolutely need to play more smaller titles. Jusant was great and that's just one of 'em.

I don't get why so many people here want to ditch subscriptions, I honestly wouldn't have known about Jusant without Game Pass. It has a ton of great stuff on it and it's not that expensive either. Needs some more discovery features instead of just a list of games though.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Im going to make this years resolution doable... I swear to finish 5 games in my backlog!

300 more to go!

Neon Xenon

Top of my gaming resolution list? Finish more single-player games. I've picked up an extremely bad habit of not finishing many games despite starting (and buying...) more than a few of them. However, I have resisted buying many of the heavier hitters this year like Baldur's Gate 3, if only because CRPGs are not my thing, but I am enjoying what little I've played of WH40K: Rogue Trader so far (just over an hour in, still quite early). I did try the demo for Colony Ship, and I couldn't get into it despite liking the premise a lot.

On that note: Getting into at least one new genre is also a resolution of mine. Be it CRPGs or Strategy games. Admittedly, I'm having trouble keeping my interest with both. But I want to stick with them and not just drop either one entirely.

1CC Dodonpachi Daioujou
uhh… drink less beer maybe

Shmups are a genre that I've neglected playing and I'm going to get back into them soon. This is a genre I'm genuinely excited about, but have been occupied playing other games. It was hard to not get distracted with the sheer number of good releases 2023 had.

Top Bottom