• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your memories of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?

Teh Lurv

No, they didn't.

To the topic, I liked Oblivion a lot but I adored Morrowind. The Xbox version of Morrowind is what made me build my first decent PC.

I don't want to go back and forth on the matter, but I used to dabble in Morrowind modding. The stat files Morrowind used did have two or three versions of the same monster to use depending on the PC level that capped out at PC level 20 or so.

It was my first experience with PC modding. I still remember my first installed mod back in the day.
IDPzVvW.jpg

Drooling at that infamous Gameinformer cover.
Watching GameSpots's 24hr stream and being hyped as fuck.
It being the 1st 360 game I bought.

Never actually played it.

Teh Lurv

The image of the Lich-King hovering slowly across the Cyrodil landscape - cursing and muttering under his breath as he inched across the landscape, Hypno-Toad buzz ebbing and flowing - is a potent one for me. It was my first 'Next Gen' moment. This videogame character had 'remembered' my little indiscretion from weeks ago and, completely unscripted, chased me across the map to settle the score.

The whole incident blew my mind.

That story is pretty awesome.

That reminds me of Bethesda telling stories of their AI task system pre-release solving problems outside the box. One story I remember is a towns-person AI who needed a rake to farm killing another NPC to steal his rake. IIRC Bethesda toned the AI down quite a bit to make the NPC population function without killing themselves/others, but that's cool the AI potential was still in there.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That story is pretty awesome.

That reminds me of Bethesda telling stories of their AI task system pre-release solving problems outside the box. One story I remember is a towns-person AI who needed a rake to farm killing another NPC to steal his rake. IIRC Bethesda toned the AI down quite a bit to make the NPC population function without killing themselves/others, but that's cool the AI potential was still in there.

Ah, didn't know that. Could've been cool if they worked out the kinks.

It wasn't until much later that I discovered the King of Miscarand business was a known glitch. Didn't make a difference, mind.

Zedark

I am basically you, OP. Oblivion was my first open world RPG, and I was stunned at first by the fact that I was Let loose in the world after the tutorial bit. Had no idea what I should do, so I wandelen around and did some sightseeing. Great memories, and it's still my favourite game of all time.
Dark Brotherhood quest-line, that shit was amazing.
Had so much fun with that quest-line, especially (do I need spoiler tas for such an old game?)
the quest where you get to kill people in the house looking for a hidden Treasure.

Wandering away from the sewer exit, reaching an old ruined fort and getting killed by bandits.

I love this game, must've put thousands of hours into it.

rataven

A little cross-posting here.

A glitch in Oblivion counts as one of my all time favourite gaming moments:

Love stories like this.

I had something in a similar vein happen to me. My memory is fuzzy on the details, but there's a quest in the Imperial City where you have to investigate corruption within the city guard. If all plays out as planned, you'll send the guilty captain away to prison and the quest seems to conclude.

......except something like 14 in-game days later, after this guy and his quest are long forgotten, this bitter asshole will break out of prison, wearing nothing but his peasant trousers and a raggedly shirt, and hunt you down across Cyrodiil, wherever you may be. I just happened to be on the road east of Chorral, hacking at goblins and otherwise enjoying the morning stroll, when I could see far off in the distance a strange looking man charging full speed my way. When we finally closed the distance enough for me to make him out, I realized this was no run of the mill bandit, but a loony-toon wielding a knife with blood-lust in his eyes. I turned tail and ran, him following me all the while, back to Chorral where he met his end with help from some of his former city guard friends.

After he bit the dust, I walked over to his corpse and sure enough, it was the guard I had put away. I remember marveling at the whole thing; that at the very moment I was out for a walk, somewhere else in this world was an angry disgraced man planning and executing his prison escape to exact revenge on the person who put him away. It had the effect of feeling as though there really were other stories going on in this game, ones that I wasn't even privy too, and I just thought that was the coolest, most immersive thing ever.

Gradon

Whodunit is the best quest in the series. I had two characters at the same point and replayed it over and over to see everyone's reactions / thoughts / trust with every other characters who were alive at the time.

There's kind of bug with the quest though as one of the characters attacks Vampires on sight and it kick starts the killing a little early. (It's why I had two characters)

Characters had different prejudiced thoughts and trusts on you based on your race too, especially the Breton women in green being racist to dark elfs. I really wanna replay that quest again now.

The Dark Brotherhood was easily the most memorable parts of the game and had some fantastic quests.

Horror at stumbling on an Oblivion gate in the open world. I ran far away from it. I was genuinely afraid of FPSs back then though. Wouldn't play the game at night(game time), kept my head on a swivel, afraid of my own shadow, ect. Fallout 3 was more horror than RPg for me, and I'm still not sure how I beat it. I never beat Oblivion, or Morrowind. I've beaten all of their games since though.

CloudWolf

Definitely a game that did not age well. I had a lot of fun with it back in 2006-2007, but now I mostly remember it for that great Dark Brotherhood quest with the house party and the incredibly unfair level scaling shit. I wasted around 300 arrows on some high level Goblin chief.

Rodolink

I spent huge amount of hours destroying oblivion portals, stupidily thinking they were finite and I had to do it to progress in the story...

Psyfer

Before the dupe glitch was patched on the 360, I obtained and duped a Chameleon Sigil Stone and enchanted a full set of one of the later tiers of light armor, maybe glass?

I went through the game completely undetectable unless a guard was trying to arrest me or an NPC was scripted to interact with me.

I spent huge amount of hours destroying oblivion portals, stupidily thinking they were finite and I had to do it to progress in the story...
They are finite iirc, there are only 60ish?

BouncyFrag

It was the first game I played after not gaming since the 16-bit era and was floored. I wasn't following gaming at the time and was all the better for it. Every time I hear this track I feel a little sad knowing I won't play it again since I poured countless hours into it and know every nook and cranny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxSko6vvWGc&feature=youtu.be&list=RDiED1RK6z29w&t=855
The composer Jeremy Soule almost died in a car accident before working on Oblivion and decided to create music celebrating the beauty of life. Amazing.

jtb

Banned
Pretty underwhelmed. Of all the changes from Morrowind to Oblivion, by far the most glaring and awful was the level scaling. No reason to explore, no role-playing - and it's only gotten worse with age.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
One of my earliest wide-open world titles. Warm memories. Odd NPCs. Great quests, though perhaps not the main quest. I can never be too arsed about the main quest in these games anyway. Not before I become immersed in the world.

Gorgeous soundtrack that I still listen to this day.

I HAVE NO GREETING

I remember making a low damage, high radius spell that I named "Bookshelf Dismantler." I took it to the biggest wizardly libraries I could find, fired it off, and watched the books go flying.

Rodolink

Before the dupe glitch was patched on the 360, I obtained and duped a Chameleon Sigil Stone and enchanted a full set of one of the later tiers of light armor, maybe glass?

I went through the game completely undetectable unless a guard was trying to arrest me or an NPC was scripted to interact with me.

They are finite iirc, there are only 60ish?

But there are also random ones http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion_Gates

When I realised this I just moved on to complete the main quest not caring anymore about them

Oblivion is one of the best games I've ever played. I played on PC, as TES should be played.

I made my first mods for that game.

Never played a lot of the vanilla version, one of the first mods for it was an UI mod. And a mod that fixed the scaling. And ugly faces.

I used a console trick in most of the Oblivion gates, the one that lets you fly, so to speak. I hated Oblivion gates, I hate them still.

Some hate how "bland" the world is, but the side quests are best in the series. Thieve's Guild is awesome, Dark Brotherhood good too. Then there's the vampire hunter quest line with a neat twist, and so many more.

And the lore...

Kenai

I loved the Thieves Guild questline

My favorite memory is being mad that the game beginning kept suggesting Assassin when I wanted to play a mage. When I actually played Assassin I vastly preferred the sneak > crit > win playstyle to anything else. Go figure.

"It's you, the Hero of Kvatch!"

"I saw a mudcrab the other day."

"Must have been the wind."

That quest where some paranoid guy outsources his stalking to you.

Still my favourite TES game. Has lots of fantastic mods that fix all the glaring issues with the game -- though stability can be problematic if you're not savvy with optimizing your load order. Fantastic quest design, open world is kinda boring but I really enjoy the general dungeon "archetypes", even if they get a bit samey I think Oblivion does it better than Skyrim (which obviously suffers from the same same-y-ness).

Rodolink

From your link: "There are 90 possible random gate locations in all, although a maximum of 50 random gates will appear (plus the 10 fixed gates)."

So exactly 60 gates in any one save game.

Random "locations" in one location the gate may appear many times no matter if you already destroyed it

Kalamoj

The Thieves guild and Dark brotherhood questlines, both were pretty good.
Also, the capital of the empire is a small village.

Psyfer

Random "locations" in one location the gate may appear many times no matter if you already destroyed it

"If you have closed 60 Oblivion Gates, you have closed them all (this includes 50 random gates, 9 standard gates, and the Great Gate). Since no gates reopen (unless you use the console to change the default game settings), no more Oblivion Gates will appear."

Quest bug. Key never spawned. Had to open game editor find key item drop it near my character. Load my save. Find key on the floor. Open door. Shit reward.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I remember marveling at the whole thing; that at the very moment I was out for a walk, somewhere else in this world was an angry disgraced man planning and executing his prison escape to exact revenge on the person who put him away. It had the effect of feeling as though there really were other stories going on in this game, ones that I wasn't even privy too, and I just thought that was the coolest, most immersive thing ever.

That's exactly it! It was the first time a game didn't feel completely solipsistic; that the game world existed and 'lived' outside of my limited perspective. It's an illusion, of course, but a very potent one the first time.

Great story, btw. I remember that 'quest'.

It blew my mind too. That and Dead Rising were the reasons I bought a 360, and I was so in awe of Oblivion I built my first (and only) gaming PC to play it with mods etc, which I quickly got bored of but that's another issue.

The series and engine have their problems, still, but I can't deny that sense of amazement and freedom as you start exploring, it's the kind of wonderment experience I still game for.

That exit from the sewers. Daaaaaamn. I was sure videogames couldn't get any prittier.

Go in a cave. Nice. It's a cave.

Killing an enemy on a slope and the body rolling downhill. Fucking awesome physics.

Throwing stuff in the water with telekinesis.

Go in a cave. I think I've been here already. No, it just looks the same.

Even at the time I understood the absurdity of the horse armor.

Make the lousiest lock opening spell and spend the next 45 minutes grinding your level on a lock you can't open.

Go in a cave. They all look the same.

Shooting arrows on hanging buckets.

Diving somewhere and finding a random hatch at the bottom of the lake. Go through. A dark deep water pit awaits. Hit myself with invisibility potion and waterbreathing and all sorts of potions cuz am scared. Dive and keep diving. Find a giant slaughterfish at the bottom. Kill it with sword panicking and get the fuck outta there.

At some point realize the game has scaling enemies. It's all been a lie.

ISee

My first contact with oblivion was reading a preview article in a magazine and being blown away by the graphics/screens. It looked unreal to me.
Later (much later!) I remember being disappointed. The game felt like an empty shell in comparison to morrowind and the UI was awful.

Sanctuary

My memories were that I spent more time with various mods to try to actually make it fun to play. Mostly various leveling mods since the default leveling scheme was awful.

Rodolink

"If you have closed 60 Oblivion Gates, you have closed them all (this includes 50 random gates, 9 standard gates, and the Great Gate). Since no gates reopen (unless you use the console to change the default game settings), no more Oblivion Gates will appear."

If you don't close them all they keep appearing that's my point, but anyway, it doesn't matter

I was 15 when I played it, and it was probably the first open world RPG that I really got invested in. I remember coming home from school and just being engrossed in it for hours each day. In the end I think I probably clocked in a handful of saves, and hundreds of hours spent across them, including 200+ in my original save.

A few things stick out in particular:

Being way underpowered and getting killed dozens of times trying to lead Umbra from a dungeon into the imperial city. Basically so the guards would end up killing her for me, and I could take her sword and armour.

Not realising I could fast travel until I was dozens of hours into the game.

Sean Bean playing that Martin guy.

Being teleported to paradise.

Painted trolls.

That sweet Imperial Dragon Armour you get for finishing the game.

The awesome DLC.

Dingens

94r2.gif

basically... ugly faces and bloom....
a boring main quest, boring side quests, and couldn't hold a candle to either Gorthic 1 or 2.
The only thing I enjoyed were the dark brother hood quests.

Roufianos

I remember I was hooked on GRAW at the time but saw the reviews for it.

Thought it looked pretty shitty but gave it a go. Bought it with my dad and I remember the cashier saying "So you're going to enter the world of Oblivion" in an Indian accent.

Started it up and thought it was quite good. I realised you could switch to third person which was a relief.

Then I got out of the sewers my mind was blown. I remember killing someone on the way to Kvatch and was amazed that people were shouting "someone's been murdered".

I got 1000/1000 gamerscore and used to play it for about 9 hours a day on weekends and in the summer.

It's up there with MGS, Witcher 3 and Fallout 3 as one of my favourite games ever. Shame about Skyrim and Fallout 4.

This was my first major open-world game, so naturally it blew my mind back then (11 years ago!). That first view:

I could not believe my eyes. The immersion was through the roof. One of the first games I remember just gawking at the scenery. Besides The Witcher 3 I had never put more time into a single-player game.

I'm sure today it's a clunky monstrosity, but it'll always remain a pivotal gaming milestone in my mind.

I was similarly blown away by that view. I thought it was absolutely incredible.

Despite this, it never dislodged Morrowind, even at the time. I played the shit out of Oblivion, and enjoyed it (Dark Brotherhood especially), but it never topped Morrowind.

I ultimately still think of it as a disappointment and really just kinda shitty when held against Morrowind or Skyrim.

Someday I'll revisit and see what I think now,

I was so slow during the tutorial that it was sunset when I exited the sewers. It was the most astonishing view I think I've ever witnessed in a video game. (I also immediately swam across to the dungeon on the island)

I remember great side- and guildquest. That's where the game really shines.

And I remember it being my gateway to the great and rich lore of Elder Scrolls.

Top Bottom