• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Classic RPG's are most worth playing?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'd toss Lands of Lore into that list. It's a pretty good series overall, third one maybe not so much, but the first two are solid. Also, the Eye of the Beholder games are good fun. Both are old, first person RPGs of one sort or another. For me, the big appeal of them is the dungeon crawling, and LoL has some personality to it as well.

Li Kao

Planescape: Torment should be last on the list, not first.

Because after it most other games will annoy you with their juvenile writing, cookie-cutter story structure and cardboard characters :p

snakesalute.gif

For the record I couldn't believe not seeing Planescape on the list as I was reading it. Until the last line where it all made sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Planescape: Torment should be last on the list, not first.

Because after it most other games will annoy you with their juvenile writing, cookie-cutter story structure and cardboard characters :p

Nah. Especially since people underrate the amount of decently written rpgs out there. You have a decent backlog to get through.

jb1234

Nah. Especially since people underrate the amount of decently written rpgs out there. You have a decent backlog to get through.

Yeah, my concern is that with all these games to play, he'll never actually get to Planescape.

I thought CRPG stands for Computer RPG not classic RPG.

The thread title confused me, since it seemed to be about all RPG but the thread is only CRPG it seems.

Guess I can't help you. I mainly play JRPGs.

=( Don't get me wrong, I enjoy JRPG's, but I'm mainly discovering the computer RPG's that I never gave a chance. Thanks for stopping by though =)

snakesalute.gif

For the record I couldn't believe not seeing Planescape on the list as I was reading it. Until the last line where it all made sense.

This is hilarious lol

Yeah, I'm loving all this feedback, but WOW I never realized there is so much stuff available on GOG. RESPECT.

Yeah, my concern is that with all these games to play, he'll never actually get to Planescape.

Don't worry, it's on my top 10 next games to play. I heard the combat isn't as good as other games, so I think I have a fairly balanced expectation on it.

I thought CRPG stands for Computer RPG not classic RPG.

The thread title confused me, since it seemed to be about all RPG but the thread is only CRPG it seems.

Sorry, I goofed. =(

Another vote for Planescape Torment and Vampire Bloodlines.

Ultima 4-5-6-7 are incredible games that still to this day do roleplay, morality, world-building and exploration better than any Bioware blockbuster.

Dungeon master 2, the main inspiration behind Grimrock and your thinking dungeon-crawling game.

Divinity original sin, for its humour and it's fantastic, dynamic combat system based on physical properties that allow you to manipulate the state of the battlefield.

blackw0lf

If you're brand new to CRPG's then something like KOTOR 1 and 2 might be better than Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape. The latter are both phenomenal games, but they're harder to get into due to not very user friendly interfaces. The KOTOR series though is more accessible.

Plus the writing of KOTOR is equal I think to Baldur's Gate 2. And KOTOR 2's writing is close to Planescape's. (Which makes sense as they were pretty much done by the same people).

If you play KOTOR 2 though make sure to get the restoration mod, as Obsidian wasn't able to finish their game, and a bunch of content was left out that later got restored.

Of course play KOTOR first before KOTOR 2.

Also highly recommend Vampire: Bloodlines, and Fallout.

edit: oh yea and also highly echo Mask of the Betrayer. It's an expansion to NWN 2 but you don't really need to play the original to enjoy the expansion. Absolutely phenomenal though, and the closest to a Planescape sequel we've seen.

BKG

Banned
Afraid I don't have the ability to play a GameBoy Color game. My interest in that handheld has waned lol

I haven't tried them. I heard that they are basically sidelined to be non-canon Star Wars games? Would that effect the enjoyment of someone going back to KOTOR nowadays?

Not at all! It takes place 1000s of years before the prequels so it doesn't matter if they are canon or not. Easily one of the best RPGs ever imo.

If you're brand new to CRPG's then something like KOTOR 1 and 2 might be better than Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape. The latter are both phenomenal games, but they're harder to get into due to not very user friendly interfaces. The KOTOR series though is more accessible.

Plus the writing of KOTOR is equal I think to Baldur's Gate 2. And KOTOR 2's writing is close to Planescape's. (Which makes sense as they were pretty much done by the same people).

If you play KOTOR 2 though make sure to get the restoration mod, as Obsidian wasn't able to finish their game, and a bunch of content was left out that later got restored.

Of course play KOTOR first before KOTOR 2.

Also highly recommend Vampire: Bloodlines, and Fallout.

edit: oh yea and also highly echo Mask of the Betrayer. It's an expansion to NWN 2 but you don't really need to play the original to enjoy the expansion. Absolutely phenomenal though, and the closest to a Planescape sequel we've seen.

I have watched some episodes of Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 let's plays and the UI doesn't seem really that bad at all.

I'll definitely consider KOTOR now, don't know why I didn't before.

Top Bottom