• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear |OT| Tales of a Sword Coast Legend

Memnoch

Wow, been years since I played BG. Gonna fire this up on my pc again and get ready. This is the first time in years I'll be a pc gamer again. Been on the ps4 since launch. BG is one of the best games I have ever played. Very exciting news.

I bought BG1 EE, the new expansion, and BG2 EE last night. It's been years since I played 2 and I never played 1. Excited but I have one question - are there any absolutely essential mods for either game or should I play them as they are?

For BG1, I'd recommend BG1 npc project, it adds a lot of character interactions more reminiscent of the second game. Also Unfinished Business, which adds unfinished quests back into the game.

Sadly mods are all borked with SoD right now so you'll have to play vanilla.

Mivey

Just started BG1:EE and just in time for the v2.0 update. Must say I like the more modern approach to everything. Feels in terms of UI more like a game from the last few years, than something that is almost 20 years old. (I guess that could be construed to be a bad thing for some)

Sadly mods are all borked with SoD right now so you'll have to play vanilla.
Only when one has installed the expansion, or generally for the v2.0 update? And can you also install those two mods after having started the game or is a new game required?

Only when one has installed the expansion, or generally for the v2.0 update? And can you also install those two mods after having started the game or is a new game required?

From what I've seen, it's just the expansion that messes them up, and even then only the steam or gog version.

Those two do not require a new game though obviously it is recommended to see all the content.

Steez

The XP cap goes up to 500k, which is level 9-12 depending on class.

If you start a new game in SoD you begin with about 70k xp (about level 7) and your characters are decked out. Basically all the best gear from BG1. That might be a more interesting spot for you.

Thanks, guys.

I went ahead and bought the expansion. First impressions are definitely positive, but on the other hand I'm not very far. Finished the opening dungeon and now I'm dicking around in Baldur's Gate, getting ready to leave.

I gotta say though, it feels super weird playing a new Baldur's Gate game in 2016.

Staf

Is there any Ipad version? Played through 1 and 2 on the Ipad while away with work. Perfect hotel game.

ShadowOwl

Are posts/thread discussing Gamergate content still allowed? Couldn't find anything on that in the FAQ section.

Anyway, some people are currently going nuts because some of the Beamdog "SJW content" included with the new expansion: https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_g...g_games_do_not_buy_siege_of_dragonspear/page1
You'll find similar threads in the Steam Community, the review sections on GOG and Steam are currently being bombed by gamergaters.

This is ridiculous...

Altazor

Are posts/thread discussing Gamergate content still allowed? Couldn't find anything on that in the FAQ section.

Anyway, some people are currently going nuts because some of the Beamdog "SJW content" included with the new expansion: https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_g...g_games_do_not_buy_siege_of_dragonspear/page1
You'll find similar threads in the Steam Community, the review sections on GOG and Steam are currently being bombed by gamergaters.

This is ridiculous...

I love
actually I don't
the amount of mental gymnastics some people go to just to justify their bigotry and hatred and present them beneath of rationalty/fairness.

Nevermind that RPGs (and hell, fantasy and sci-fi by themselves) have been about analyzing political/sociological/psychological/etc. themes using similes and metaphors since most of us were even fucking born - how DARE Beamdog push their political SJW agenda on us!

Sarek

Apparently it was this quote from a Kotaku article that got the idiots angry.
“If there was something for the original Baldur’s Gate that just doesn’t mesh for modern day gamers like the sexism, [we tried to address that],” said writer Amber Scott. “In the original there’s a lot of jokes at women’s expense. Or if not a lot, there’s a couple, like Safana was just a sex object in BG 1, and Jaheira was the nagging wife and that was played for comedy. We were able to say, ‘No, that’s not really the kind of story we want to make.’ In Siege of Dragonspear, Safana gets her own little storyline, she got a way better personality upgrade. If people don’t like that, then too bad.”

Spacejaws

To be honest Indidn't think the original Baldur's Gate was that heavy on the sexism.

I mean, I don't think of BG and think wow well horny now. The stuff that's there seems low key and to be in flavour for the world. Eldoth was used as an example but isnt that just a situation to show how shitty he is?

That said I think its great that Safana get alot more personality/dialouge, but still I feel that sexism didn't really need to be brought into the conversation at all...did it?

Can we not just try to be a little more creative and divisive when creating our characters/stories and not bring to the forefront that we are battling sexism? Otherwise we are going to have loons try and foght against it. I doubt tgese trolls would have said anything except that sexism was mentioned in that article.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I thought this was slated for like a year away, what a brilliant surprise!

Gotta finish BG2 EE first, started but never finished it a while ago.

I don't mind developers taking a stand, so to say, but I would prefer it if they didn't actually add any of that stuff to the game itself.

Like that audiofile of Minsc going "Really it's all about ethics... in heroic adventuring", that seems like an obvious gamergate reference within the game itself.

Sasie

Brought it last night even though I had no party ready at all so I had to create a brand new character. I usually skip Baldur's gate 1 but ended up restarting after spending an hour getting frustrated by not having the party I wanted and struggling to find a combat setting I enjoy.

Nightmare with no damage increases is almost annoyingly hard while core rules are a bit too easy. Nightmare, with no damage increases from enemies, still seems to way to go though for those who want a fair challenge and already have a party prepared from the original enhanced edition.

As for the sexism I disagree that Jaheira was a nagging wife, if anything I see her as a over judgemental mentor. I can't speak for the jokes since it been years since I went through the original game but so far it seems just like the second one with a variety of characters and locations. I do like that they given the characters more of a personality though since it was very lacking without the NPC mod in the first game.

Sarek

I don't mind developers taking a stand, so to say, but I would prefer it if they didn't actually add any of that stuff to the game itself.

Like that audiofile of Minsc going "Really it's all about ethics... in heroic adventuring", that seems like an obvious gamergate reference within the game itself.

I agree that is pretty dumb line, but I'm not sure if it is even in the game. I'm probably half way through SoD and had Minsc in my party the whole time and haven't seen that line at least.

I agree that is pretty dumb line, but I'm not sure if it is even in the game. I'm probably half way through SoD and had Minsc in my party the whole time and haven't seen that line at least.

That's a relief to hear, atleast. These games are all about immersion into the world for me and cultural references like that make me salty.

_machine

I would guess that it's way for the developers to simply get it out the system; I know that at least a couple of the developers working on the game have suffered greatly from attacks on themselves and their gender/sexual orientation so it might also be a healthy way to voice their opinions. Though I do agree, that sort of breaking the 4th wall doesn't always suit the game so well (but as mentioned above, I don't believe they actually ever put any of it into the game).

Sasie

I would guess that it's way for the developers to simply get it out the system; I know that at least a couple of the developers working on the game have suffered greatly from attacks on themselves and their gender/sexual orientation so it might also be a healthy way to voice their opinions. Though I do agree, that sort of breaking the 4th wall doesn't always suit the game so well (but as mentioned above, I don't believe they actually ever put any of it into the game).

I think something like optional developer commentary or a silly option like Wild Wasteland used in Fallout work as a nice compromise between making a statement and not breaking the 4th wall in these cases.

I'm thankful that developers do make a statement although I must admit I would have preferred if they tried to mimic the tone and style of the rest of the games rather then fix it. That said not seen anything overly bad from the screenshots floating around that annoyed me so far.

_machine

I think something like optional developer commentary or a silly option like Wild Wasteland used in Fallout work as a nice compromise between making a statement and not breaking the 4th wall in these cases.
I agree, though I do believe that's what they have mainly sticked with (hiding the most over references from the game)...

I'm thankful that developers do make a statement although I must admit I would have preferred if they tried to mimic the tone and style of the rest of the games rather then fix it. That said not seen anything overly bad from the screenshots floating around that annoyed me so far.
...though the game and most of it's counterparts have relied on many cultural references and easter eggs that don't necessarily fit the overarching narrative and I guess the new one will also feature some, that are up to date (though I have not played the end product and most of knowledge comes from following the project).

Sarek

The writing is very much in the style of the old games. Don't let this completely blown out of proportion mess fool you. The writing is also way better than it was in their previous self-made content which wasn't all that great. In many ways SoD feels lot like BG2 which is about the best praise I could give it.

This is ridiculous...
The gaters do the same thing with every Bioware game too for daring to represent more diverse characters in their games. I'm sure the Codex is at arms too. It's disgusting.

CHC

The faux-academic lingo that these idiots use to thinly disguise their bigotry is always entertaining.

Anyway, is anybody here playing Dragonspear and is it good?

Farks!

"They used their creative freedoom to do something I don't like, therefore they're against creative freedoom!"

Sanctuary

Been meaning to try out EE after they finally fixed all of the problems with it, especially the resolution scaling. $6.00 for both games combined is practically giving it away, so I ended up grabbing them both. Normally just play the original games with mods, but it gets tiresome having to reinstall them all if I migrate to a new machine and I am interested in seeing the changes that were made to these games anyway.

I almost didn't click on this thread too. I thought initially that it was going to be about Sword Coast Legends.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I think I'm gonna make myself finish the Pillars playthrough i started when the expansion came out before I hop on this. I know I'm going to want to do a whole big trilogy-style playthrough of the whole series, as I've never done that before.

That's a relief to hear, atleast. These games are all about immersion into the world for me and cultural references like that make me salty.

Must never have played BG1 then. Cultural references are rampant (Chia pet, Madonna, etc).

Anyway, is anybody here playing Dragonspear and is it good?

It's really, really good. Not BG2 level but definitely better than BG1 and, honestly, probably up their with Pillars of Eternity. Very high density of content, cool dungeons, puzzles, lots of stuff to interact with, etc. Story is pretty good as well.

And, I love the added population density stuff. The large crowds really give things a sense of scale not often seen in games.

Only problem for me so far is I'm find the difficulty inconsistent. Some encounters I sleepwalk through while there are plenty of "normal" mobs that I can get wiped from in short order. However I think part of it is getting used to the party they kind of force upon you. It's not the same party I played BG1 with and I'm missing my character build, spell setup, equipment, etc that I beat BG1 EE with last year due to an accidental save wipe so it's taking me a bit to get in the groove of things again.

Sarek

I think I'm gonna make myself finish the Pillars playthrough i started when the expansion came out before I hop on this. I know I'm going to want to do a whole big trilogy-style playthrough of the whole series, as I've never done that before.

Starting BG1 as level 1 character and finally finishing ToB as
god
is definitely a playthrough worth doing.

Farks!

Boy, Beamdog sure opened a can of worms with this one. One LGTB character is the end of world, apperently. And then they wonder why people don't take them seriously.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've been waiting for a sale on PC to pick up BG:EE. I have never played any of the these. I did wind up picking up a version of BG on android but quickly realized that a tablet wasn't going to work for me with the game.

$5 for this after all the good things I've read seems like a no-brainer.

I vaguely recall some prelude idiocy back when Hexxat was first made available alondside Dorn in terms of their new content for the EE---this is just more of that flared up higher stepping up from the last.

A shame considering Oster was all excited at how the initial day 1 sales and all had been encouraging to them.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Boy, Beamdog sure opened a can of worms with this one. One LGTB character is the end of world, apperently. And then they wonder why people don't take them seriously.
It all makes me wonder what happens in the course of a 20 year old guy's life that turns them into some analog of the angry old man that's furious the "good old days" are being taken away from them. I just don't get how that delusional point of view infects the youth.

Pilgrimzero

One quest near the start I found to be pigeon hole-y.

i find a doppelgänger in a cell it I get a quest to free it. But I don't want to cause I'm a good guy. But you HAVE to free it to get the quest to move on instead of it just saying the quest is finished when you decline to free it.

Farks!

It all makes me wonder what happens in the course of a 20 year old guy's life that turns them into some analog of the angry old man that's furious the "good old days" are being taken away from them. I just don't get how that delusional point of view infects the youth.

A general lack of empathy combined with being an insecure crybaby?

I can't believe I lived to see the day a new expansion for Baldur's Gate came out with the original cast, and that it is causing cultural/sexual controversy. We live in strange times...

Doomguy84

I finished BGII EE earlier this year, and i've been keepin tabs on this for some weeks now...Looking forward to it after I beat BGI (Gotta love 5 dollar sales) I'm diggin Divinity: Original Sin right now, so I have alot of catching up to do (IWD 1 and 2, PoE, ToEE, Planescape) I only tried BG2 when I was really young and didn't finish it...now I just love CRPGs and playing them all.

Apparently it was this quote from a Kotaku article that got the idiots angry.
Lol, I can see why people are upset. That quote's bullshit. Safana's no less thin than 95% of the BG1 NPCs. And that stuff about Jaheira is bafflingly false. And claiming Baldurs Gate is sexist...what a fucking clown. I love the series, but I'll pass on new content being created by writers like that.

Mivey

I can't believe I lived to see the day a new expansion for Baldur's Gate came out with the original cast, and that it is causing cultural/sexual controversy. We live in strange times...
It is interesting though, games these days are seen as politically relevant. That idea, 20 years ago when BG1 came out, would have been ridiculous. These days, people on the right and left really care about having (or not having) certain elements in games. I wonder if these "gamergaters" realize that what they are doing here, bringing this up in a 30 hour game, where it is such a minor element, is much more political than a writer saying line about it in some Kotaku interview.
There is no such thing as "objective" and neutral political activism.

Top Bottom