• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesradarès Baldur's Gate 3 preview is pure hype

GymWolf

I agree, hand and cheese sandwich can be a better RPG vs FFXIV! 😉

You even have a choice between a fetch quest, crafting quest, or posting the fetch quest for a 3rd party in order to obtain the sandwich. Let's see FFXVI do that!
Hand and cheese? What are you? A cannibal?

Morts videos for barb and pally dropped.

It seems that you can manipulate certain things in the game to make an evil / dark Paladin, which kind of goes against the traditional lawful good trope they tend to have alignment wise. Paladins typically follow sacred oath, chosen by the player, but in BG3 we dont seem to have that (at least not in EA) so I'm not sure how it will work.

I am hoping it will be freeflowing in the sense that, if you choose an oath, you can break it simply by 'doing the opposite' in gameplay eg, stealing something, murdering a n NPC yadda yadda and it automatically makes you an oathbreaker.

I think i heard that you can break the oath by killing an innocent, so it happen naturally.

Then you can even chose to specialize in oath-breaking.

Never played d&d so i have no idea of what all of this means.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hand and cheese? What are you? A cannibal?

I think i heard that you can break the oath by killing an innocent, so it happen naturally.

Then you can even chose to specialize in oath-breaking.

Never played d&d so i have no idea of what all of this means.
Yup, I ran an oath-breaking build in EA recently but losing Channel Oath abilities really hurt the paladin archtype!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
if you become an oathbreaker, do non-aigned party members disown you and leave the party?
Not that I noticed, Lea’zeel and Shadowheart had a few things to say but no everyone stayed - even Wyll and Gale!

Fools idol

Banned
Not that I noticed, Lea’zeel and Shadowheart had a few things to say but no everyone stayed - even Wyll and Gale!
interesting. I wonder if that changes later on as you become more of a cunt and push them to their limit haha.

what I loved about Wrath of the Righteous is I could choose a mythic path like The Swarm that Walks and your entire party would fucking disown your disgusting abomination of a main character. Hilarious

Yoshichan

interesting. I wonder if that changes later on as you become more of a cunt and push them to their limit haha.

what I loved about Wrath of the Righteous is I could choose a mythic path like The Swarm that Walks and your entire party would fucking disown your disgusting abomination of a main character. Hilarious
Pretty sure it will affect the group sooner or later! I only tried it for like an hour or two!

So apparently, the devs have separated the gender (sorry, "body types" :messenger_sleeping:) and genitals during character creation. I'm sure, to some people, being able to make a futanari elf makes this automatically the best game ever, though.

Drizzlehell

Banned
a-surprise-to-be-sure-star-wars.gif

Well, we still have over a month until Starfield comes out, sounds like enough time to give this game at least one playthrough.

I like it whenever a game that I didn't really anticipate or followed suddenly becomes so hype.

Fools idol

Banned
For the first playthrough I'm going for a full on raging barb dwarf or something just so I can see how much they really mean 'you can kill just about anyone and the game keeps going'.

My boy gonna rack up some bodies.

I will be very very surprised if this feels polished by release. Even this late into early access i still noticed some jankyness here and there, most commonly during cutscenes with split second moments of assets loading in, some twitch animations or weird facial expressions. I think their engine probably wasn't designed to handle cinematics. That said, it could be just analytics middleware affecting the overall game stability.

If none of those issues are present by release and there are no real problems with the game mechanics and quests, the only thing that'll be left to ask is: what the fuck is the rest of the industry doing?

I feel like all of this is easier to pull off though when it's turn based and top down though lol pull it together with some real interactivity and a real interactive combat system and THEN I'd ask what everyone is doing.

But these turn based top down games tend to have more depth at a cost.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I feel like all of this is easier to pull off though when it's turn based and top down though lol pull it together with some real interactivity and a real interactive combat system and THEN I'd ask what everyone is doing.

But these turn based top down games tend to have more depth at a cost.
You could have just said: "I never played turn base games or crpgs in my life and i have no clue what i'm talking about"

People literally created joke class with DOS2 that fights with just barrels and telekinesis, thats how deep the game sytems go. I dare you find a game with the level of interactivity that DOS2 has that isn't another CRPG or something of the like.

Last edited:
You could have just said: "I never played turn base games or crpgs in my life and i have no clue what i'm talking about"

People literally created joke class with DOS2 that fights with just barrels and telekinesis, thats how deep the game sytems go. I dare you find a game with the level of interactivity that had that isn't another CRPG or something of the like.
Am I pointing and clicking though? And live action combat going on or anything? I watch gameplay and it looks like the sims or something doing combat, not being a dick im genuinely curious. That aspect doesnt look...the best.

I even play through games like dreamfall or shenmue that arent combat focused...so its not like I need a pure action game. But...idk. point and click is a tough one for me lol

I wanna be hyped too...but idk lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Am I pointing and clicking though? And live action combat going on or anything? I watch gameplay and it looks like the sims or something doing combat, not being a dick im genuinely curious. That aspect doesnt look...the best.

I even play through games like dreamfall or shenmue that arent combat focused...so its not like I need a pure action game. But...idk. point and click is a tough one for me lol

I wanna be hyped too...but idk lol
No one's is forced to play it if they don't want to. However, to say is stuff like how its "easier to pull off when it's turn based and top down" or that there is no "real interactivity", all this shows is that you truly are clueless of the genre and how it works.

You don't have to understand if you don't want to, like i said no one's forced to play anything. But if you speak bullshit, i will point it out.

Last edited:
No one's is forced to play it if they don't want to. However, to say is stuff like how its "easier to pull off when it's turn based and top down" or that there is no "real interactivity", all this shows is that you truly are clueless of the genre and how it works.

You don't have to understand if you don't want to, like i said no one's forced to play anything. But if you speak bullshit, i will point it out.
I asked if its point and click. Can you answer that? Im curious.

People always ask "will baldurs go mainstream" and ask why DOS2 didnt sell like crazy, and the answer is simple. Top down, turn based etc, will lower the sales.

Its obvious. All this hype depth that should make it easily crush any bethesda game is marred by the fact that its top down turn based. So long as it has that system, it wont reach those heights.just not as appealing to the maonstream audience, even visually.

Why cant we have it all *sniff* all that depth and rpg goodness, and its always a tpp down turn based game, thats what I mean, seems like it comes at a cost, or that it may be harder to make a good deep live action combat system to go with it. Because they certainly would sell better with one.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yes with a M&K and no if you're using a controller.

People always ask "will baldurs go mainstream" and ask why DOS2 didnt sell like crazy, and the answer is simple. Top down, turn based etc, will lower the sales.
Game literally sold 7 million copies.

Its obvious. All this hype depth that should make it easily crush any bethesda game is marred by the fact that its top down turn based. So long as it has that system, it wont reach those heights.just not as appealing to the maonstream audience, even visually.
...and this is shaping to sell even more than that. I'm looking at the 10M mark.

Why cant we have it all *sniff* all that depth and rpg goodness, and its always a tpp down turn based game, thats whay I mean, seems like it comes at a cost, or that it may be harder to make a good deep live action combat system to go with it. Because they certainly would sell better with one.
Because live action combat goes completely antagonistic to what a tactical RPG combat should be like. Why do you think live action rpg games have mediocre to shitty combat? Because the traditional RPG mechanics these systems were inspired by weren't designed around playing like a Devil May Cry game.
The few ones that work like Elden Ring, or barely work like Cyberpunk, are very oversimplified compared to a game like BG3 where you can literally throw your companions at your enemies or poison entire goblin camps by spiking their booze.

Last edited:

Doom85

Why cant we have it all *sniff* all that depth and rpg goodness, and its always a tpp down turn based game, thats what I mean, seems like it comes at a cost, or that it may be harder to make a good deep live action combat system to go with it. Because they certainly would sell better with one.

It’s meant to replicate a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. A D&D campaign has to be turn based because otherwise it’d be illogical chaos, as insane as a game of Monopoly with no turns.

And for plenty of us, no, turn based is not a “cost”.

It’s meant to replicate a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. A D&D campaign has to be turn based because otherwise it’d be illogical chaos, as insane as a game of Monopoly with no turns.

Its largely seen as less desirable than a live action alternative. And more than likely a case where...the dev in question isnt strong in that area, But good at everything else.

If starfield was top down turn based would it sell more or less?

If elden ring was top down turn based, more or less?

What about the witcher 3? Or cyberpunk? More or less?

We know the answer. And thats because most people look at that and say. "Well that doesnt look that great" and move on. Its generally less desirable. And why this game with soooo much depth with sell modestly, pretty dang good for "that type of game". For the niche that will play that.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Heck yes. Turn based is perfect for this kind of game. So much can randomly occur and go awry that it adds a lot of dynamics to battle. Action combat is a blind chaos that you try to get through as soon as possible.
I think what makes BG3 better for me than Divinity is the snappiness of everything and the dice aspect. It feels like playing Dnd and you can see the chance playing out in front of your eyes.

Tell that to pokemon.

You forgot the part of needing to be good at designing turn based combat.

And pokemon was largely popular on a handheld platform where such a system was more acceptable and there were little alternatives that were feasible.

We have to agree here, its obvious, so you think most of these games I listed would sell/be recieved just as well if they were released as top down turn based? Theres no way you believe that lol its generally less desirable, thats all.

This game would literally be on a different stratosphere of interest if it had a good live action system. In my view, these titles are seen as great in spite of turn based systems. Which is impressive lol

Doom85

Its largely seen as less desirable than a live action alternative. And more than likely a case where...the dev in question isnt strong in that area, But good at everything else.

If starfield was top down turn based would it sell more or less?

If elden ring was top down turn based, more or less?

What about the witcher 3? Or cyberpunk? More or less?

We know the answer. And thats because most people look at that and say. "Well that doesnt look that great" and move on. It’s generally less desirable. And why this game with soooo much depth with sell modestly, pretty dang good or that type of game. For the niche that will play that.

(turn based) Pokémon Scarlet/Violet sales: 20 million
(turn based) Persona 5 sales: 7.2 million
(action) Tales of Arise sales: 2 million

Guilty_AI

And pokemon was largely popular on a handheld platform where such a system was more acceptable and there were little alternatives that were feasible.
And newly released pokemon games from last year are still vastly popular games that sell 10 million copies in 3 days in case you didn't get the memo.

We have to agree here, its obvious, so you think most of these games I listed would sell/be recieved just as well if they were released as top down turn based? Theres no way you believe that lol its generally less desirable, thats all.

This game would literally be on a different stratosphere of interest if it had a good live action system. In my view, these titles are seen as great in spite of turn based systems. Which is impressive lol
Those games are those, this game is this. Its pointless to talk about 'what ifs' for them when changing them to turn based would make them a completely different game altogether.

Still, seeing reception and sales for BG3 should make for an interesting experience.

Last edited:
(turn based) Pokémon Scarlet/Violet sales: 20 million
(turn based) Persona 5 sales: 7.2 million
(action) Tales of Arise sales: 2 million
Pokemon: popularized at a time when turn based was very common, and maintained that base. Also Handheld, which turn based is more acceptable on for that type of game.

Also japan makes up the bulk of the turn based sales. The Like a dragon switch to turn base is a huge sign of how much they love it. That would never happen in the west lol

Guilty_AI

Pokemon: popularized at a time when turn based was very common, and maintained that base. Also Handheld, which turn based is more acceptable on for that type of game.

Also japan makes up the bulk of the turn based sales. The Like a dragon switch to turn base is a huge sign of how much they love it. That would never happen in the west lol

And newly released pokemon games from last year are still vastly popular games that sell 10 million copies in 3 days in case you didn't get the memo..

Yeah, they're pokemon games. They reached a point of selling regardless. Abd what platform are they generally played on? Some form of handheld.

BG3 is a western fantasy rpg. Not a japanese game that will sell like crazy in japan by merely existing and being anime.

The point stands, most of the western rpg's that are coming out, would be less well recieved if they came out as turn based. And you know it. Why are we arguing about that lol we know thats true.

So if you wonder WHY BG3 or DOS2 wont be AS popular as the less deep rpg's. Thats a big reason, thats my point. You literally have a consumer giving you a reason, and you wont listen lol

Last edited:

I mean if we want to pretend that turn based generally generates as much interest as live action in the same genre then thats fine. I mean we can specify in the "western" market if you like.

But the point is, titles like this will do fine. But not mainstream primarily due to that.

Guilty_AI

Do those games have nearly the same overall sales as the titles I listed?
Civ 6 -> 11 million copies.
Civ series -> 51 million copies
Total war series -> 40 million copies

You really shouldn't take GAF as representation of whats mainstream or not

Last edited:
Civ 6 -> 11 million copies.
Civ series -> 51 million copies
Total war series -> 40 million copies

You really shouldn't take GAF as representation of whats mainstream or not

Right and civ 6 has been out since 2016 and only sold 11 mil. While cyberpunk sold 20 mil by sept of 2022.

Do you think that number would ve less or more were it turn based? Asking you from a business standpoint.

Also are these games PC rts or turn based single player rpg's?

Because thats a bit
..different, the former isnt competing with other western fantasy rpg's with live action combat.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Right and civ 6 has been out since 2016 and only sold 11 mil. While cyberpunk sold 20 mil by sept of 2022.

Do you think that number would ve less or more were it turn based? Asking you from a business standpoint.

Because thats a bit
..different, the former isnt competing with other western fantasy rpg's with live action combat.
Look, there are plenty of games out there if you want A RPG combat. SE completely f-d up FF with that shit.

This is not the game for that and probably not the game for you. That's it, simple enough.

Vast majority of people on this and other BG3 thread though are quite hyped and very much looking toward it.

Guilty_AI

Because thats a bit
Yes, keep comparing some of the most sold games of all times instead of the usual Devil May Cry and Dragon Age, while conveniently putting conditions to remove the most sold turn based game of all time from the comparison

Take the L already mate, you're wrong.

Look, there are plenty of games out there if you want A RPG combat. SE completely f-d up FF with that shit.

This is not the game for that and probably not the game for you. That's it, simple enough.

Vast majority of people on this and other BG3 thread though are quite hyped and very much looking toward it.
Deep down I want to be sold on the game by somebody lol like someone to shut me up buy showing me something awesome with the combat.

But when the response is "shut up we like this!" Then cool, but it makes me think its more or less what Im thinking it is. Point and click. Take turns. Etc.

Maybe oll play for the rpg elements, story, quests, like...and rpg telltale game or something.

april6e

Both Divinity OS 1 and 2 are top ten RPGs of last gen for me and they are making an even larger, better version of those games with the Baldur's Gate lore. I'm going to pass out from all the hype I'm experiencing. Nothing will happen if I quit my job and just play this for a month straight, right? Who cares about paying bills and fulfilling the human body's need for sustenance, amirite?

StereoVsn

Deep down I want to be sold on the game by somebody lol like someone to shut me up buy showing me something awesome with the combat.

But when the response is "shut up we like this!" Then cool, but it makes me think its more or less what Im thinking it is. Point and click. Take turns. Etc.

Maybe oll play for the rpg elements, story, quests, like...and rpg telltale game or something.
But that's the response. The game is turned based, it's isometric, it's meant to be this way and Larian's customers and D&D fans like it that way.

It's seriously simple. If you don't like the systems, don't buy the game. Real time with Pause can also work in the genre, that's how Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder and even OG BG games were, but turned based is still great for this sort of a game.

Edit: Also, lol at turned-based equating to easy. Try out some war games, strategy games on harder settings or Megami Tensei titles. Hell, D:OS games get brutal at higher difficulty levels.

Last edited:
Yes, keep comparing some of the most sold games of all times instead of the usual Devil May Cry and Dragon Age, while conveniently putting conditions to remove the most sold turn based game of all time from the comparison

Take the L already mate, you're wrong.
Devil may cry? And what am I wrong about exactly? That turn based titles generally will generate less sales for most titles in the mainstream market? And its the reason DOS2 and BG3 wont be as wide as some other titles? You disagree with that?

Btw, not changing any critea, I said above

"mean if we want to pretend that turn based generally generates as much interest as live action in the same genre then thats fine. I mean we can specify in the "western" market if you like."

You ignored that and gave games out of genre that sold less than newer titles without a franchise history backing it up.

Last edited:
And Im comparing bg3 to the best selling western rpg's because I think, it has everything to be at that level. Yet wont be because....turn based.

If you are a simple japanese handheld title then sure. But a western fantasy rpg, sales will be good, but not top tier. When it should be

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Devil may cry? And what am I wrong about exactly? That turn based titles generally will generate less sales for most titles in the mainstream market? And its the reason DOS2 and BG3 wont be as wide as some other titles? You disagree with that?

Btw, not changing any critea, I said above

"mean if we want to pretend that turn based generally generates as much interest as live action in the same genre then thats fine. I mean we can specify in the "western" market if you like."

You ignored that and gave games out of genre that sold less than newer titles without a franchise history backing it up.
Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 are barely rpgs, same with Elden Ring. Its 100% fine to add Pokemon to the comparison if thats your criteria for the genre, until you came up with arbitrary reasons to try and exclude it.

Guilty_AI

And Im comparing bg3 to the best selling western rpg's because I think, it has everything to be at that level. Yet wont be because....turn based.
You know what, instead of keeping up this pointless discussion, why we don't just wait and see? Its less than 2 weeks away anyway. Let the market decide who's right.

Last edited:
Once again I'm asking if you can customise breast size.

If not, it's hilarious how modern devs have a genuine phobia of large breasts, even though in real life some women naturally have large breasts, how is that not body shaming to not include the option?

In modern character creators you have a million different options except that, am I the only one that doesn't get that?

tbf there's D&D based action games, but that's not going to be more faithful to the tabletop experience obviously.

Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 are barely rpgs, same with Elden Ring. Its 100% fine to add Pokemon to the comparison if thats your criteria for the genre, until you came up with arbitrary reasons to try and exclude it.

Well your usage of pokemon is implying I'm saying they'll never sell. Im saying pokemon will sell for reasons that wont apply to BG3. Our discussion is exploring why that is.lol its more a business analysis than trying to find reasons to exclude it. Im sure larian isnt looking at pokemon as a metric for gauging their sales expectations.

Action certainly isnt say...the witchers main priority or strong point. So not sure what you'd call it.

Guilty_AI

Well your usage of pokemon is implying I'm saying they'll never sell. Im saying pokemon will sell for reasons that wont apply to BG3. Our discussion is exploring why that is.lol its more a business analysis than trying to find reasons to exclude it. Im sure larian isnt looking at pokemon as a metric for gauging their sales expectations.

Action certainly isnt say...the witchers main priority or strong point. So not sure what you'd call it.
I can't compare with BG3 here because games like The Witcher 3 took ALMOST A DECADE to get to that amount of sales, AND it was boosted by the TV series.

Either way, lets wait for the release and see who's right.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Idk if I should buy. I backed Tides of Numenera’s Kickstarter and got bored of that super quick. I ordered and played Original Sin 2 and got a refund for it. I bought the last Pathfinder and played a good 12 hours of that. I’ve owned Icewind Dale & BG since their disc days. I finished Dragon Age 1-3 plus DLC. That was then. This is now.
I fear I might bounce off this game hard. It’s been early access for a year and I didn’t think about getting it.

I’ve wanted to be a fan of these games, but I bounce off of them pretty hard. I have a copy of BG2 on a Linux box that I was going to try again. I feel like this is very alluring, but it might disappoint people who grasp this genre. Is this an entry for people who might not have gotten into these before?

I can't compare with BG3 here because games like The Witcher 3 took ALMOST A DECADE to get to that amount of sales, AND it was boosted by the TV series

Either way, lets wait for the release and see who's right.
Lol hm i wonder how much IP familiarity helped POKEMON sell :p.

Anyway. Im so gonna be right. So gunna. It'll sell well for bg3 though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Idk if I should buy. I backed Tides of Numenera’s Kickstarter and got bored of that super quick. I ordered and played Original Sin 2 and got a refund for it. I bought the last Pathfinder and played a good 12 hours of that. I’ve owned Icewind Dale & BG since their disc days. I finished Dragon Age 1-3 plus DLC. That was then. This is now.
I fear I might bounce off this game hard. It’s been early access for a year and I didn’t think about getting it.

I’ve wanted to be a fan of these games, but I bounce off of them pretty hard. I have a copy of BG2 on a Linux box that I was going to try again. I feel like this is very alluring, but it might disappoint people who grasp this genre. Is this an entry for people who might not have gotten into these before?
IMO if you bounced off D:OS2 and WotR, I am not sure BG3 is going to present something THAT much different. Sure, it has better presentation, better cutscenes, etc... but fundamentally this is still a turn-based CRPG.

Top Bottom