• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamesradarès Baldur's Gate 3 preview is pure hype

sigmaZ

Idk if I should buy. I backed Tides of Numenera’s Kickstarter and got bored of that super quick. I ordered and played Original Sin 2 and got a refund for it. I bought the last Pathfinder and played a good 12 hours of that. I’ve owned Icewind Dale & BG since their disc days. I finished Dragon Age 1-3 plus DLC. That was then. This is now.
I fear I might bounce off this game hard. It’s been early access for a year and I didn’t think about getting it.

I’ve wanted to be a fan of these games, but I bounce off of them pretty hard. I have a copy of BG2 on a Linux box that I was going to try again. I feel like this is very alluring, but it might disappoint people who grasp this genre. Is this an entry for people who might not have gotten into these before?
Depends what turned you off about the other games. I found the combat in this much more enjoyable than Original Sin 2. Feels more streamline and the dice aspect adds a unique flair to things.

Fredrik

Once again I'm asking if you can customise breast size.

If not, it's hilarious how modern devs have a genuine phobia of large breasts, even though in real life some women naturally have large breasts, how is that not body shaming to not include the option?

In modern character creators you have a million different options except that, am I the only one that doesn't get that?
It’s the same in Cyberpunk, the choice is there but it’s like maybe C cups at most, and a flat ass. Meh. It is a strange omission. Nice curvy ladies can’t exist in gaming apparently. In some games you have a body form slider that make the whole character bigger or can choose a preset bulky muscular body but it’s rare to be able sculpt a character like you want.

But you can give a lady a schlong now and choose the size and there are pubic hair choices too!

🙄

Modders are the true heroes of our world.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Will any you guys (and gals) be playing through Baldurs Gate 2 + expansion before BS3 comes out?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Will any you guys (and gals) be playing through Baldurs Gate 2 + expansion before BS3 comes out?
that's a one-way trip to burnout-city if I would do that

I've been dying for a good isometric rpg. Loved Pillars of eternity 2 but unless you played the first it was hard to understand what was going on. I think ill have to play BG2 before launch.

Wouldn't be much point. Completely different ruleset, completely different gameplay, just a couple of old characters there for fanservice. It will still be a great game, that I'm sure of, but it might as well not be called "Baldur's Gate" at all... If anything I'd say it's closer to D:OS + ToEE.

(also, I've played BG2 way too much already lol)

It’s the same in Cyberpunk, the choice is there but it’s like maybe C cups at most, and a flat ass. Meh. It is a strange omission. Nice curvy ladies can’t exist in gaming apparently. In some games you have a body form slider that make the whole character bigger or can choose a preset bulky muscular body but it’s rare to be able sculpt a character like you want.

But you can give a lady a schlong now and choose the size and there are pubic hair choices too!

🙄

Finally someone agrees with me, I was going to mention Cyberpunk as an example of that but forgot.

There's just a certain female body type you do NOT do anymore if you're a western dev, part of this is laziness, you'd have to remodel all the clothing, armor so it'd look natural, I remember in Saints Row 3 and 4 you could have absurdly huge breasts but it'd make all the clothing look unnaturally warped.

But it's also because there's this political phobia of large breasts in a video game, it's seen as the ultimate symbol of "sexism" in games (even though it really shouldn't) and therefore you just don't do it anymore.

In particular there were political slap fights I remember over the removal of "breast sliders" when localizing certain Japanese games years ago, because the "wrong" type of gamers voiced displeasure about that, therefore you just don't give an inch to the "wrong" type of gamers.

But it's crazy that you can have a female penis (which to be clear, is fine, the more options the merrier) but you can't have breasts above a certain size.

StereoVsn

I've been dying for a good isometric rpg. Loved Pillars of eternity 2 but unless you played the first it was hard to understand what was going on. I think ill have to play BG2 before launch.
You really should play Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous. It's an amazing game and best CRPG on this side of BG2. At least till BG3 releases.

But yeah, I strongly recommend it for anyone who loves CRPGs.

Steam doesnt have pre-load option for EA games. And Larian isn't just updating EA but pushing a completely new build.
Wait so launch is really going to be when everyone will be downloading all at the same time?
Shocked Dear God GIF

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

I am currently playing through Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 (original versions). I think the Enhanced Editions additions from Beamdog really hampered the experience and felt very, very poorly written. So I will avoid those when possible.

StereoVsn

I am currently playing through Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 (original versions). I think the Enhanced Editions additions from Beamdog really hampered the experience and felt very, very poorly written. So I will avoid those when possible.
Eh, I think the EE were fine and there are bunch of mods on top of that. You don't have to use additional characters if you don't want them. That BG 1.5 though seemed meh.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Eh, I think the EE were fine and there are bunch of mods on top of that. You don't have to use additional characters if you don't want them. That BG 1.5 though seemed meh.

I don't use mods, so none of that really had me interested. The additional characters you don't have to use, but you still get that whiplash when you run into them and how poorly written those stories are when you go through it one time just stays with you.

Siege of Dragonspear is some of the worst writing in any CRPG I have ever seen. A disservice to the franchise written by people who would rather railroad their hamfisted views in your face than provide a quality adventure.

Sentenza

I wonder why every time there's a notable turn-based game coming, it seems to be almost some sort of legal obligation that the thread has to be swarmed by at least one dimwit who can't really keep for himself how much he dislikes the genre.

Ok? Go and play one of the hundreds of action games out there. It's hard to overstate how much of a shit no one gives.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Story-wise, yes

Gameplay-wise, debateable. Its fairly approachable for beginners as far as crpg are concerned, but its still a DnD based ruleset.
There's an easy mode so gameplay you'll be ok. Just make sure you like tactical turn based.

FireFly

🙄

Can you choose dick size though? From what I've seen you just choose between a few genital presets.

Edit: Ah, I guess you were talking about Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] - You see that NPC over there? You can interact with him

Seriously, 50% of the NPCs react to your characters? This really is insane! Loved the first BG, had the huge CD edition.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I finished BG1 the other day (and most of TotSC), now half way through BG2 - prob not gonna finish though tbh, not by launch.

Good primer and getting back into the Faerûn vibe is my jam!

sigmaZ

Baldurs Gate 3 [OT] - You see that NPC over there? You can interact with him

Seriously, 50% of the NPCs react to your characters? This really is insane! Loved the first BG, had the huge CD edition.
Oh, yeah. It's great. I love how you have so many options in how you approach different situations and they have long term consequences throughout the game. It's truly a roleplaying game.

Top Bottom