• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What constitutes as "Furry" media?

Jubenhimer

Anthropomorphic Animals have been a part of pop culture since forever. Some of the most famous fictional characters such as Bugs Bunny, and Mickey Mouse, are animals who can walk and talk like regular humans. There is also a fandom entirely dedicated to these types of characters called "Furries". Furry is generally a blanket term used to describe fans of anthropomorphic animals. Yet "Furry" has a sort of connotation to it that distinguishes itself from what most people associate with Anthropomorphic animal characters.

Certain works and pieces of fiction are given the label of "Furry" while others are apparently not. After all, nobody considers Looney Tunes or Mickey Mouse furry work. Yet you'll hear that phrase used to describe something like Beastars or the Modern Sonic games. "Furry" is used by many, as a term to describe Anthro-focused works that are done in a more serious, often anime-inspired tone compared to your typical cartoon or children's book.

So do you consider "Furry" as just a general term for funny animal fans, or something more specific?

Anthropomorphic Animals have been a part of pop culture since forever. Some of the most famous fictional characters such as Bugs Bunny, and Mickey Mouse, are animals who can walk and talk like regular humans. There is also a fandom entirely dedicated to these types of characters called "Furries". Furry is generally a blanket term used to describe fans of anthropomorphic animals. Yet "Furry" has a sort of connotation to it that distinguishes itself from what most people associate with Anthropomorphic animal characters.

Certain works and pieces of fiction are given the label of "Furry" while others are apparently not. After all, nobody considers Looney Tunes or Mickey Mouse furry work. Yet you'll hear that phrase used to describe something like Beastars or the Modern Sonic games. "Furry" is used by many, as a term to describe Anthro-focused works that are done in a more serious, often anime-inspired tone compared to your typical cartoon or children's book.

So do you consider "Furry" as just a general term for funny animal fans, or something more specific?
Are you asking "for a friend"?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Your post doesn’t mention people dressing up in animal costumes. Wonder why?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Dressing up, roleplay and associating with the community is a furry to me. Watching cartoon animals isn't in the same category. So I would say content centric to the former not the latter.

Whatever floats your boat, not something I've ever known someone IRL to be into.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Anthropomorphic characters used to be cool. Star Fox is a great example.

Unfortunately, the second people started having sex with each other in animal costumes, and made a culture out of it, it just fucked up everything.

I’d say anything with humanoid looking animal characters is furry, or evokes that tone, regardless of creator intentions. I flat out won’t touch things like Goodbye Volcano High or Night In The Woods, because the art style puts me right off.

It would take something special, and almost a declaration from the creator that this isn’t furry shit, for me to get past that reflex.

Last edited:
It think a lot of it is down to how human like the animal behaviour is and the nature of any relationships they have. If you look at bugs and lola or mickey and minnie their relationships are like those of children, holding hands and if they kiss its just a quick peck. Zootopia is where I would say the behaviour is human enough to fall on the furvert scale at the mild end.

It think a lot of it is down to how human like the animal behaviour is and the nature of any relationships they have. If you look at bugs and lola or mickey and minnie their relationships are like those of children, holding hands and if they kiss its just a quick peck. Zootopia is where I would say the behaviour is human enough to fall on the furvert scale at the mild end.
That's a good description.

Birdo

Banned
If it's somebody's "Fursona", then it's a furry character (An avatar character for someone to RP as, either in a suit, or through art).

If it's just a regular anthro animal, then it's just a cartoon animal.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
imo this is the foundational text. this show was on when i was a little kid. hey the kangaroo girl was kind of cute...

it has to have an almost equal mix of animal and human characteristics. almost like an "uncanny valley". like you said, Bugs Bunny is not a furry. he is too much of a rabbit.

Sonic, i think the exception there is because of the fan community. maybe if Bug Bunny was around during internet days there would be fan fic of Bugs in a dress and whatnot.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think it is the sexual content (of the original media, not rule 34 stuff). So looney tunes, disney, etc were all asexual or just playful (Peppe Le pew stalking the cat, bugs crossdressing, Mickey and minnie blowing a kiss or whatever). But when you start to have to wonder about the anatomical possibility of a 6 foot wolf boy banging a 2 foot rabbit girl....that's furry territory!

Then there is Avatar and whatnot. The Navi'i are pretty sexualized, but are they furry or just alien? Cats (play and movie)? Ugh, this is a deep dark rabbit hole to go down...

MrMephistoX

This...I shall never forget this day in the before times. Furrycon San Jose may god have mercy on my soul. Bought tickets with a friend and expected a few laughs...came out scared for life. In retrospect this was probably a super spreader Jan 2020 :(
PL2bhL8.jpg
te9QUFC.jpg

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
"Furvert". That's an amazing term, definitely stealing that.

Top Bottom