• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Do Artists Do All Day: Frank Quitely |OT| "Where does God work, daddy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

lol, the OT will be removed by a mod in due time, but non the less this is a great vid, just seeing Quitely work is well like the thread title says seeing a god doing their work.

I'll post my same response from the comic thread.

I'll earn no friends with this, but I can't stand Quitely's art. Yes, I'm a Philistine. Dude is C-tier. He's second only to Land for the "Worst Faces in Comics" award.

Professor X and Wolverine have the same awful face.
Xmen.jpg

images

Of people working today, give me David Aja, Mike Mignola, and Fiona Staples.

I'll earn no friends with this, but I can't stand Quitely's art. Yes, I'm a Philistine. Dude is C-tier. He's second only to Land for the "Worst Faces in Comics" award.

Xmen.jpg

images

you're fixated on the faces but you fail to mention he has the best compositions and "cleverness" with page layout. not to mention great anatomy in his figuresand great flow and movement to them as well. but no, let's focus on the faces.

Slayven

Xmen.jpg

images

I agree with you, can't stand his cancerous potato people.

you're fixated on the faces but you fail to mention he has the best compositions and "cleverness" with page layout. not to mention great anatomy in his figuresand great flow and movement to them as well. but no, let's focus on the faces.

Right, seeing as faces are always the focal point of the human eye. He sucks at the one part of human anatomy that's the most important to nail.

NastyBook

Xmen.jpg

images

We're in the same boat. We've got a bunch of his stuff for Batman and Robin at the library right now, and I just can't stand any of it. The faces, the bodies, and his unnatural amount of gore placement in a Batman book. The coloring makes it even worse. But then there's the Death and Return of Bruce Wayne GN that we have that has some good artists. I especially liked Lee Garbett and Yanick Paquette.

not always sir.

I will admit to, on rare occasion, having first glanced at the fine derriere of a young lady whilst crossing the road.

But yeah, it's the face. Quitely can't drawn them. Everything else becomes secondary when you can't look past the most important part of illustrating people.

These days, it's all about dat Fiona Staples:

Saga1_3.jpg

Saga1_4.jpg

I will admit to, on rare occasion, having first glanced at the fine derriere of a young lady whilst crossing the road.

But yeah, it's the face. Quitely can't drawn them. Everything else becomes secondary when you can't look past the most important part of illustrating people.

don't be obtuse. just look at the video for more examples of his work. he knows how to put a page together. he knows how to tell a story. and he knows how to draw action. and anyways all comic artist tend to make their faces look the same so that shouldn't be a knock on Frank as well. there's no one out there as good as he is save JH Williams III and Brian Hitch.

don't be obtuse. just look at the video for more examples of his work. he knows how to put a page together. he knows how to tell a story. and he knows how to draw action. and anyways all comic artist tend to make their faces look the same so that shouldn't be a knock on Frank as well. there's no one out there as good as he is save JH Williams III and Brian Hitch.

That's funny, because I've already listed three who are better in this very thread. If you want to go back to an all-time list, Quitely doesn't even factor into the top 50.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Was a really great little doc, I was squeeing with delight while watching it, they finally made a TV show just for me! How nice of you, Mr Beeb.

Was really fascinating to get a look into his process, explains why he takes so long given how it takes him longer to conceptualise a page than to actually draw (pencil and ink) the thing. That's incredible. But it was fascinating to see how much thought he actually puts into the process, he seems to think about it from every angle, it's easy to see why he works so well with Morrison.

It was also really interesting to see how deeply influenced by Akira he seems to be. I've been thinking about that book a lot recently thanks to the retrospectives iFanboy has been running, and there really is a straight line from Otomo to Quitely. Of course, Otomo has seemingly no page limits and infinite time, so his action sequences are insanely decompressed and drawn out (spectacularly so). On the flipside, Quitely is both very slow and working in a very limited medium in terms of pagecount, so his action sequences tend to be hyper-compressed, with multiple beats often in the same panel. They're both coming from a place of detail and precision but in entirely different ways, it's fascinating.

Also the idiotic and small minded reactions in this thread are deeply, deeply disappointing. I could talk about the reasons why at length but might save it for a future comicsGAF war.

Everyone looks like a potato.

Dumb comment aside, Morrison must have looked at this piece and said "Jesus Vin, how wrinkly do you think I am?!" Maybe that's why they're not working together at the moment, he upset the Moz's vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom