• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about game sharing?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Yes, I'm talking about two people living in different houses owning a single digital game. Although companies prohibit it, I haven't heard of anyone being banned for it so far. Are companies happy about it or are they afraid of backlash? How ethical is this practice? People who sell their own accounts and buy others can play dozens of games without spending any money. The same applies to physical copies though. Selling a product you've used seems reasonable, but I can't help but feel that something is not quite right. I bought such an account, but I felt a slight discomfort. What are your thoughts on this?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Buy your own things. People are so cheap!

It's the same for the whole Netflix password thing.... pay for your own accounts instead of leeching off someone else. People seem to think they have a god given right to get shit for free (or straight up steal stuff).

Selling physical games is different as long as someone pays you for it and you get some of your money back. You could give the game away for free and that's cool but I'd make sure I'd give it into a charity or something instead of handing it off to someone who could easily pay for it and didn't want to.

Last edited:

Banned
Trust others with my account data? Hell to the naw.

that's now how that works. you log in to the other system once, set it as your home system, and then log out again.

now every other account on that console can play your games. your account data does not have to be known by the other person.

and you can technically do this then the other way around that the other person's account on your own console.
that way everything either of you buy digitally, the other has acces to. you can play online MP that way with a single Digital copy of a game.

I personally do that at home of course, with my multiple systems.
this allows for local coop/mp play even if a game has no splitscreen. literally the reason I own a Series S in addition to the Series X.

if one player is on a PC, I think you could even do this with 3 players on Xbox play anywhere and/or gamepass games, as the owner account can be active on an Xbox and a PC at the same time

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I buy a digital Switch game and another family member gets to play it as well. They buy a game and I get to play it.

It’s awesome, and there’s nothing shady or unethical about. Same with selling an account. I bought all of those games, and if I want to sell ownership to someone else, then do be it.

Last edited:
that's now how that works. you log in to the other system once, set it as your home system, and then log out again.

now every other account on that console can play your games. your account data does not have to be known by the other person.

and you can technically do this then the other way around the the other person's account on your own console.
that way everything either of you buy digitally, the other has acces to. you can play online MP that way with a single Digital copy of a game.

I personally do that at home of course, with my multiple systems.
this allows for local coop/mp play even if a game has no splitscreen. literally the reason I own a Series S in addition to the Series X
Oh that? Yeah I do that as well, but some people talk about sharing accounts outside of the family home. Not me, buddy. Some of my (former) "best friends" aren't very trustworthy or reliable.

Banned
Oh that? Yeah I do that as well, but some people talk about sharing accounts outside of the family home. Not me, buddy. Some of my (former) "best friends" aren't very trustworthy or reliable.

yeah but this home console activation thing is 100% safe even if you don't fully trust someone.
unless they know your login and have access to your 2FA they won't get into your account

Aion002

It's great with friends and relatives.

For example, I bought a PS5 and gave my PS4 to my niece. She can download all my games and play on her account.

You can have a ps5 and a ps4 activated as main consoles on psn.

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

It adds utility and value in buying digital games.

Last edited:

radewagon

I dunno. I think it's fine for really close friends and family, but I wouldn't argue that it should be allowed either. It's not a hill I think is worth dying on. So long as companies don't make it cumbersome for me to access the content I paid for (I'M LOOKING AT YOU, NINTENDO!!!), then I'm good.

Crayon

The way they did it in ps3 (5 installs at any given time for each individual game, no hassle) was fair and very useful. In practical terms it was even better than loaning a physical copy.

Oh but you would never guess what happened.

Sleepwalker

The way they did it in ps3 (5 installs at any given time for each individual game, no hassle) was fair and very useful. In practical terms it was even better than loaning a physical copy.

Oh but you would never guess what happened.
The ps3 way used to be so good.

Calverz

Yes, I'm talking about two people living in different houses owning a single digital game. Although companies prohibit it, I haven't heard of anyone being banned for it so far. Are companies happy about it or are they afraid of backlash? How ethical is this practice? People who sell their own accounts and buy others can play dozens of games without spending any money. The same applies to physical copies though. Selling a product you've used seems reasonable, but I can't help but feel that something is not quite right. I bought such an account, but I felt a slight discomfort. What are your thoughts on this?
Iv been game sharing with the same mate on Xbox since 2014. It’s really good and is probably the primary reason Iv stuck with Xbox as my preferred platform since.

Most recently we went 50/50 on Diablo 4 and enjoying that.

Last edited:

Vlodril

I gameshare with a friend since ps4. If i had to buy new games at 80 i would buy 2-3 games per year and that would be that. This way we can get a lot more. Don't see how people think it's morally grey.

Smasher89

How are people arguing its unethical?, it's made possible by the publishers/console OS makers, what is kinda unethical is that you cant resell your license to a digital game.
Havent personally done it but it's for sure a good feature, having a game tied to a single console isn't good when it's digital and should be so easily transferrable.

It's a dystopian cancer in our society.

If I buy something, it should be "mine". Mine to do with. Mine to share with. Mine to tinker with. You have no further say in that exchange unless I permit it as an individual. Selling something relinquishes all rights to that item, unless a financial loan is involved.

Now we have overreaching government and corporations. The government is in your home, telling you and your family how to be in relationship with each other.

Corporations are in your home, telling you what you can and can't do with the stuff they sold you. Spying on you to further make a buck to appease fascist billionaires that further erode away our democracy with their superior votes.

It's completely unbalanced.

You will own nothing and be happy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom