• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think is happening with the Sands of Time remake?

cormack12

Gold Member
Let's go back in the sands of time andit's debut trailer in September 2020

It was meant to release in January 2021, it was delayed until March 2021 and then it was delayed again

EteGKNuWYAciex4

We're now ten months after the original scheduled date with no news. It's still only listed as 'Coming Soon'. It did get a fairly big backlash when it was revealed as being underwhelming.

Do you think it's been actually remade? I think this was the studio's first game (Mumbai studio)?

MrJTeera

I’m more surprised by how there’s an article just to explain that the trailer is in Alpha. “It’s an alpha footage” would have suffice. Don’t dedicate a whole paragraph just to say that.

The reception to the reveal was extremely negative, so it seems likely they are changing the visuals quite drastically.

ParaSeoul

Remember watching back then it just looked bad,rewatching it now it looks very unfinished like most of the effects and textures haven't been added.

It was being done by Ubisoft-Pune (adjacent city to Mumbai).

And we should all be thankful that it never saw the light of day. I highly doubt they had the talent or resources to make AAA remake.

If you're going to invest peanuts into a project, and not outsource asset creation, get ready for a shitshow of an end product.

It's funny because I personally know that Ubisoft have outsourced 3D character models and asset creation to India (Mumbai and Bangalore) for their flagship titles before.

Their producer, who is in Pune (India) with this team, said sometime ago in an interview that the engine switch from Unreal (Unreal 2.5 at the time of my memory serves me right, also called "Lead" internally at Ubisoft and used on other games like Splinter Cell) to the Assassin's Creed engine is taking a lot of time, which is bullshit because it has nothing to do with the godawful character models, asset quality and the wonky lifeless animations.

Indians generally are very talented and are in almost all companies worldwide, but this project reeks of low budget. With a low budget, you get inexperienced freshers handling everything, with one of your producers at the top pulling the strings and guiding them to hit deadlines and not scope creep.

This is precisely the reason companies like Ubisoft and Rockstar have invested in Indian studios, exploit their low cost of living for work that will cost them 4X in the west.

Last edited:
Probably the devs in Ubisoft India were given something that they aren't capable of handling all by themselves which is to remake an iconic game from 2003 and make it shine like how RE2 remake shined. Thus they are being helped on by Ubisoft studios around the world to remake the remake and hence the delay?

jhjfss

Probably the devs in Ubisoft India were given something that they aren't capable of handling all by themselves which is to remake an iconic game from 2003 and make it shine like how RE2 remake shined. Thus they are being helped on by Ubisoft studios around the world to remake the remake and hence the delay?
They gave it to a studio that has only made mobile games. What did they expect?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I heard that it was developed under Ubisoft India division, so dont get your hopes up.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The India team obviously fucked it up and it's been passed off to somebody who knows what they're doing.

zkorejo

Aside from the obvious graphics complaints. The overall design and overall cultural feel is more Bollywood/indian than Persian if I'm being completely honest. Princess Farah seems like is wearing an Indian saree. The Vizier looks like a Rajhastani lord.

Also prince's face could be better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Prince and Farah start dancing in the rain to a Bollywood song in the middle of a game.

Edit: Nothing against indian dev team. I'm pissed at Ubi for being cheap. PoP should be their top priority project but it seems they just wanted to milk it with low budget production and make somewhat of a profit off the nostalgia from Pop fans who they starved for a new game for years.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I wanted to try this as I never played a PoP game before, but they're taking so long I just went and bought the remastered trilogy for the PS3.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I know what’s happening……. BOMBA!!!

the series is dead, it was one of my favourite games when I was a kid playing the original on my cousins Apple Mac in black and white. I can remember when Prince of Persia 2 came out and it was in colour. I thought it was absolutely stunning at the time.

these reboots were fun but they are now fairly irrelevant. I know there’s a lot of hate for Ubi right now and it’s cool to do that but it is not unwarranted. I’ve been burnt by them so many times.

Shut0wen

Lts bbe honest the graphics looked awful but thats because the maker of prince of persia gets a percentage of sales so they up not being profitable, if it comes out it'll probs be the last in the franchise

Hugare

Give the most beloved entry on a famous franchise to an inexperienced developer 'cause "representation" and thats what happens

How many releases have you seen from Ubisoft Prune?

Top Bottom