• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of Final Fantasy XIV's graphics on PS3?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was discussing FFXIV PS3 with some people and the topic of the game's graphics came up.

Some people felt the game was "awful", while others felt it was "one of the best-looking PS3 games".

So this got me thinking. Given that FFXIV is one of the first high production value traditional MMOs to ever come to consoles, I was curious what console gamers actually thought of the game's visuals. Traditional MMOs have notably more technical constraints on what they can actually show on screen, but I was also wondering if primary console users really found that relevant when deciding if they liked the visuals.

Here are some screenshots I found from June and May of the game in states ranging from character creation to walking around to combat.

ffxiv_arr_ps3-15zsjc.jpg

ffxiv_arr_ps3-4z7syq.jpg

ffxiv_ps3-136sgo.jpg

ffxiv_ps3-4yis9p.jpg
Source 1: http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06...creenshots-revealed-from-pc-and-ps3-versions/
Source 2: http://gamingeverything.com/48467/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-ps3-screenshots/

It's impressive for an MMO, but not as impressive as PS3 exclusives such as Killzone 3 or God of War III. The art direction is gorgeous though.

Toki767

Somewhere in the middle. It's nice to look at, but there are much nicer looking games. All the text and HUD elements really detract from looking at the game though. It looks super busy.

Judging from those screenshots I think the game looks pretty good artistically, but very blurry. Looks like it's quite Sub-HD or something.

jabuseika

The character creator is amazing.

That's about as much as I've played so far in A Real Reborn.

Downloading the PC version to compare it right now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Going into the beta I was expecting it to be really bad after reading some of the negative hyperbole.

Game looks pretty good. Not best looking game on the PS3 but still pretty good.

I'm enjoying them quite a bit. I don't have a PC for this to run on, so it's plenty good to me, room for improvement of course. Running pretty smooth.

Sophia

It only looks bad if you're comparing it to a PC running at 1080p. For a console MMO it's very impressive.

That said, the resolution really does make quite a bit of difference with this art game. Here's the PC version's "Normal" setting at 1080p:

Jubern

Didn't played the PC version and I find it pretty impressive. Not the best looking game, but impressive still.

Now, if I had the possibility to play it at 1080p (or higher) and 60 fps, no pop-in, etc... I would probably not be able to ever go back.

Lucent

Somewhere in the middle. It's nice to look at, but there are much nicer looking games. All the text and HUD elements really detract from looking at the game though. It looks super busy.

Yeah this needs to be addressed if it isn't already planned. I wanna be able to remove some of the clutter on the HUD. And the game seems do fluctuate between "this is pretty nice" to "ew" in some spots lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am pretty impressed by what they jammed into the PS3's memory architecture. It runs WAY better than those early videos implied it would. Not "best looking PS3 game" for obvious reasons but gorgeous PS3 game for sure.

The PS3 was not meant to run games like this.

Lucent

I am pretty impressed by what they jammed into the PS3's memory architecture. It runs WAY better than those early videos implied it would. Not "best looking PS3 game" for obvious reasons but gorgeous PS3 game for sure.

The PS3 was not meant to run games like this.

Yeah. It'd be amazing if they could get it to run a little better though. It's kinda jarring when you move pretty well but the enemies and other players move a little janky like they're missing some frames.

The PS4 version should look great though.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm sure it's technically impressive, but the dodgy framerate, low resolution, NPC pop-in, ect all just make me want to go back to the PC version. I'm sure it's going to be amazing on PS4.

.JayZii

Banned
I think Akihiko Yoshida's art direction really nullifies the graphical deficiencies for me. I would love to pick this up for PS4 though.

Vire

PS4 version will probably be pretty glorious.

As it is, pretty impressive effort from Square, they definitely salvaged this MMO.

Kyon

Banned
Don't look @ the PC screens and its really impressive for an MMO. The PS4 version will be on par with the PC version tho so PS3 for now :)

Minions

Game looks and runs fine. I've had the game hang up a time or two, but I expect that will get worked out before release.

Cidd

I've played it on both my PC and PS3 and I think it looks great but I think something is missing. The game looks kinda bland like it needs more texture on the characters and environment.

Eusis

Uhh, runs about as well as you could hope. Basically like a next-gen (well, current gen) FFXI. PC looks way nicer and this time it's not tied to 30 FPS due to console first design, but PS3 looks good enough that I'm willing to actually sit and play on my PS3 rather than my PC for most of the beta.

The fact the PC version had flickering white textures occasionally and crashed once on me (didn't get all the details and someone already reported a similar crash so I have to hope that's enough) didn't help, though I do miss the amount of text the chat boxes can have.

Aeana

I think it looks like butt and runs like butt based on the trailers.

"good for PS3" be damned.
Which trailers? With each one, the performance has shown to be improved. The most recent tour of Eorzea video is much smoother than the first one, for instance.

Famassu

Garbage and it's the prime reason I won't play the beta anymore.
Lol, FFXIV looks as far from garbage as possible just because of its gorgeous art alone. Technically it's a good looking game as well. Not the bestestest looking game, of course, but still beautiful to look at. Nothing massively wrong with the framerate either based on playing the game.

At first I was turned off by it when doing the side by side comparison with the PC version at max settings. But I played a couple hours tonight on PS3 and think it looks pretty good. Framerate isn't bothering me as much and things look visually interesting. Great art direction certainly goes a long way too.

Apath

It's very impressive all things considered and the art direction is great. Still not one of the best looking, but I'd say one of the most technically impressive.

It looks pretty good to me. My only issue was with the performance and frame rate in certain sections. But that was for the very first "Tour of Eorza" video. I haven't checked out the latest ones.

For an MMO that has to be prepared for a huge variance in what appears on screen, it looks great. The art direction really helps, and it's also clear that, especially with a lot of things on screen, it's pushing the PS3's VRAM and GPU about as far as it can go.

ctothej

The textures look fine. My concern is the framerate and general performance, which is why I'll wait for the PS4 version (if impressions are positive post-beta).

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It looks really bad for the most, except for the main character models and few places where sometimes that lighting is decent enough to not make it looks so ugly. Something is definitely wrong in regards to that, plus the low framerate doesn't really help. And also: wtf happened to the sky? It's ugly all the time, sometimes you even see the big square pixels on it -.-'

The game remains great. On PS4 will really shine because of boostes graphics.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
It looks really bad for the most, except for the main character models and few places where sometimes that lighting is decent enough to not make it looks so ugly. Something is definitely wrong in regards to that, plus the low framerate doesn't really help. And also: wtf happened to the sky? It's ugly all the time, sometimes you even see the big square pixels on it -.-'

The game remains great. On PS4 will really shine because of boostes graphics.

Does the PS3 version support remote play?

If so, I will buy the PS3 version despite being able to get the PC version for free (legacy what what).

If not, then one of my most looked forward features of the PS4 version is playing it on my Vita.

Does the PS3 version support remote play?

If so, I will buy the PS3 version despite being able to get the PC version for free (legacy what what).

If not, then one of my most looked forward features of the PS4 version is playing it on my Vita.

Don't think they have said anything about that but I'm pretty certain it will not support remote play on PS3.

Ploid 3.0

Played the PC version, Played PS2 ffxi, pc ffxi, other mmos on PC (tera, guild wars 2, etc.). The PS3 version looks awesome, the only thing that really matters is how it runs. FFXI ran sub 30fps on PC because of some reason that I suppose is lag but it was still playable and felt normal. FFXIV looks amazing, I may hop in and try to get whatever armor it is that Thaurmuthbah, the black mage base class gets.

Edit: Hmm I think people may be expecting God of War, or The last of us when they may need to expect something like battlefield with 100 players and a ton of different gear and effects going off at any time.

Looks great, runs great, and has some amazing art direction. Incredible effort by the FFXIV team on the PS3. Sunsets in Thanalan. <3

Top Bottom