• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does being triggered feel like?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
9LnYbdn.gif

Got it now?
source.gif

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I get triggered when someone makes light of actual trauma (like r*pe or molestation)...

I have anxiety so it's not something to laugh about. Certain things make me so angry I cry... Like someone posting videos of people being hurt or killed (mostly if the video is on autoplay and I don't know what I'm watching until it's too late).

I know many in here make fun of it, but certain things trigger normal humans ... Has nothing to do with SJWs

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I get triggered when someone makes light of actual trauma (like r*pe or molestation)...

I have anxiety so it's not something to laugh about. Certain things make me so angry I cry... Like someone posting videos of people being hurt or killed (mostly if the video is on autoplay and I don't know what I'm watching until it's too late).

I know many in here make fun of it, but certain things trigger normal humans ... Has nothing to do with SJWs

Anything that coddles you from facing reality is harmful as an adult, like trigger warnings and safe spaces. If you have trauma holding you down, get into therapy and work toward confronting and overcoming it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Anything that coddles you from facing reality is harmful as an adult, like trigger warnings and safe spaces. If you have trauma holding you down, get into therapy and work toward confronting and overcoming it.

I'm a survivor so I appreciate what you said.

I never want to be shielded from stuff. That's not what I'm talking about.

I meant like seeing people being shot or committing suicide in videos that autoplay. I get that that's reality but no normal person should be used to seeing that. My childhood was great. We didn't have gangs where I grew up yet my neighborhood isn't a rich or even middle class one (and yes, it is an all black area) So I wasn't brought up in that type of environment.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm a survivor so I appreciate what you said.

I never want to be shielded from stuff. That's not what I'm talking about.

I meant like seeing people being shot or committing suicide in videos that autoplay. I get that that's reality but no normal person should be used to seeing that. My childhood was great. We didn't have gangs where I grew up yet my neighborhood isn't a rich or even middle class one (and yes, it is an all black area) So I wasn't brought up in that type of environment.

For sure, it's not conducive to a well-adjusted outlook to immerse yourself in that sort of thing, regardless of your background.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I haven't had any real trauma in my life but I imagine it is like when you see something that reminds you of a loved one who passed away, and you have a rush of emotions about that person and losing them. Except that for real trauma, it would be the emotions associated with for example being repeatedly raped by your father or seeing your friends head blown off and getting his skull fragments embedded in your chest and chunks of his brain in your hair.

Basically this. An actual trigger for PTSD isn't something to be belittled. It's not uncommon for fireworks to set veterans off, and a friend of mine in particular has had that stereotypical reaction to go grab his rifle on the 4th of July. I've experienced a few PTSD responses in my life and they're quite unpleasant. When I realized what was happening and making me have those feelings again, my expectation wasn't for the rest of the world to conform to my needs in that regard, but to understand the feelings and accept what's happened...likewise my buddy took control of his situation through therapy and, yeah, got the guns out of his house. it's really aggravating when people make up shit like microtriggers or microaggressions and that sort of stuff though, because an actual PTSD triggered panic attack feels fucking terrifying and people don't always know why. I've figured my shit out as a grown ass man but not everyone is there yet.

I think everyone should have a good therapist to be honest, but especially if you experience that sort of panic/fight or flight response due to something otherwise mundane. That mundane shit won't be going away any time soon and you shouldn't expect it to.

Gargus

Banned
What does it feel like?

For me it's a weird combination of being extremely focused, where I have my strongest desire ever to destroy something with all my strength by hand, where I am at my most angriest I've ever been in my life but also have self control enough where I don't want to hurt someone and am fully aware of my state of mind. It's like a controlled panic almost. Like I could without a shred of hesitation beat someone to death and it would feel good, but the other half of me prevents that. I don't know how to explain it really. When it happens it is a feeling unlike anything I have ever experienced.

I've never hurt someone when it happens. I am furious in the truest sense of the word, yet very level headed. My level headed side is demanding I deal with it as quickly as possible away from others. All I want is to get away from other people, be left alone and work it out.

Scared the shit out of my wife when I flipped one day. End result was I ripped a 1600 dollar 70 inch TV off the wall, bent it half and took it in the garage and proceed to break it and rip it to shreds, get in my car and go to the gas station and bought a pack of cigarettes. Then I went to the park near us and walked around and smoked for a while, went home and sat in the driveway. She tried to come out and talk to me and I heard her but I couldn't even respond. After a while I went in and slept on the couch.

Other times I just walk back and forth with 0 thoughts in my head when its mild.

GAMETA

Banned
If feels like you're teenage Gohan and the bird just got sliced. But nobody died, they just assumed you are a man for having a beard.

*Nightwing

Remember back when people who were "triggered" a lot were advised and sometimes forced to take anger management courses? And now rather than saying it is a emotional reaction that is the individuals responsibility to control, we now have linked it to abuse. The onus is now on everyone else to control everything they do to not trigger the individual which does nothing to help the individual combat these emotions and leaves them as a perpetual victim to thier own triggers. And then society has the cojones to say it's more sensitive to coddle people like this than to give them the tools to end their victimization? Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach him to fish feed him for life.

Weilthain

Banned
When somebody actually thinks sum 41 and blink 182 made the same type of music
I met sum41 in a Burger King in Sydney back in 2003-5.

I actually went up and asked if they were sum41 to which they replied yep.

I said “cool, well cya later”. If was definitely them you can’t mistake that guy.

crowbrow

Banned

I get trigger warnings for people with some mental conditions or too young to be mentally capable to deal and confront certain things. But for the vast majority of people I can see how it can be damaging since we are a social species and our brains are evolved to be able to deal with conflict and challenge in social settings. If you shield yourself from those inputs I will imagine you're going to have underdeveloped brains and then we will have a society of retards who can't handle pretty basic and regular social situations. It's like keeping a child "protected" from falls by keeping him from learning to walk.

lil puff

I get trigger warnings for people with some mental conditions or too young to be mentally capable to deal and confront certain things. But for the vast majority of people I can see how it can be damaging since we are a social species and our brains are evolved to be able to deal with conflict and challenge in social settings. If you shield yourself from those inputs I will imagine you're going to have underdeveloped brains and then we will have a society of retards who can't handle pretty basic and regular social situations. It's like keeping a child "protected" from falls by keeping him from learning to walk.
Yeah, and it seems like it's only going to get worse as youth increasingly tend to form their social bubbles to shield themselves from the real world.

I was raised to "suck it up, stop whinging" (that was the 1980s) and I unfortunately am probably too insensitive as an adult.

Papa

Banned

The best analogy imo is hand sanitizer for kids. You gotta let em play and get dirty because it builds their immune system.

It's like a really deep, head throbbing frustration only toddlers and SJw's get. Almost like a headache fueled by anger. My earliest memories include some Toddler tantrum episodes. I believe that's how it is for man babies.

Top Bottom