• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Peggle Nights on my Steam Deck. This all seems very familiar!

Still playing Air Twister on Switch once a day. I got to the last stage finally after like 10+ tries through the game. I'm not great at it.

MGS Collection was $20 on Amazon earlier and I got it for Switch. I am looking forward to playing MGS1 again and MG2 when I go to the library.

Reactions: Isa
Yoshi%27s_Crafted_World.jpg

220px-Mariowonder.png

If you are referring to controlling Trico, this is intentional and it improves as you progress. There is an amazing scene where Trico finally overcomes his fears. I can't say more, except that both times I saw through this game, I had tears at the end. This game is a masterpiece.

Just finished it tonight. You were right, it did get a bit better as the game progressed, though it still felt like the controls and camera fight you the whole time. Loved the entire ending sequence. I'd call it a flawed masterpiece - what they did with Trico is amazing, and they succeeded in making you care about him. It's a much better when viewed as art as opposed to solely through the lens of a game - which is not that fun. Very glad to have experienced it nonetheless.

Hrk69

Ghost of Tsushima baby

Unfortunately my controller died today and I need to wait a couple of weeks before I can get a new one. I'm debating on playing it with M&K

Maybe it's time to install CSGO again and fuck around on hostage maps

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Got a Lenovo Legion Go so I'm addicted to Diablo IV all over again, thanks to it running amazingly well on the Go.

Also been playing a lot of MLB the Show 24 on XSX.

On the main gaming PC, I've been working on American Truck Simulator, Trails of Cold Steel I, and Starfield.

BouncyFrag

I got a free month of Game Pass ultimate so have been playing Mass Effect 3’s multiplayer. It still holds up and is fun… except for my first match back that dropped me into a Gold Collector map. 😬

Last edited:
I am wrapping up Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, but I may not finish it completely. Tried the Crouching Dragon Battle Royale Mission after finishing main story missions and first DLC. I get filtered by the third cross-naginata boss most of the time but almost beat the fourth tiger demon boss before he unleashed a long range attack as I was about to drink the health potion. After reading up on it I find out that I have the evil taoist, demon brothers, and horseless Lu Bu to look forward to...
iori-kofxv-laugh.gif

Just the last two DLCs then...

Last edited:

Isa

Been making my way through Jagged Alliance 3 finally. Slowly chipping away at my backlog. Its pretty fun at times, I'm still partial to the 2nd but its fun.

Humdinger

Gold Member
Finished Plague Tale: Innocence - well, almost. I ended up watching the ending on Youtube, because I got frustrated with all my dying near the end. Before that, the gameplay is pretty relaxed and easy. But in Ch. 16, they ramp the difficulty up quite a bit, and you have to take out multiple baddies with different tactics and fiddly controls. It stopped being enjoyable and just got frustrating, so I stopped.

I enjoyed 90% of the game prior to that, though. The setting was intriguing - 14th century, plague-infested England. I liked the characters. The writing was pretty good, apart from a rare anachronism (a character saying "full stop" in the modern sense). Some of the characters' decisions were foolish, but the foolishness was consistent with the characters and didn't come out of the blue. Despite it being stealth-oriented, which I typically don't like, they mixed it up pretty well. They kept adding new abilities, mechanics, and settings. The game was well-edited, too, by which I mean they didn't use the padding or time-fillers that are so prevalent in larger games.

8/10. Pretty good. I'll consider playing the sequel later. I've heard good things about it.

Finished Plague Tale: Innocence - well, almost. I ended up watching the ending on Youtube, because I got frustrated with all my dying near the end. Before that, the gameplay is pretty relaxed and easy. But in Ch. 16, they ramp the difficulty up quite a bit, and you have to take out multiple baddies with different tactics and fiddly controls. It stopped being enjoyable and just got frustrating, so I stopped.

I enjoyed 90% of the game prior to that, though. The setting was intriguing - 14th century, plague-infested England. I liked the characters. The writing was pretty good, apart from a rare anachronism (a character saying "full stop" in the modern sense). Some of the characters' decisions were foolish, but the foolishness was consistent with the characters and didn't come out of the blue. Despite it being stealth-oriented, which I typically don't like, they mixed it up pretty well. They kept adding new abilities, mechanics, and settings. The game was well-edited, too, by which I mean they didn't use the padding or time-fillers that are so prevalent in larger games.

8/10. Pretty good. I'll consider playing the sequel later. I've heard good things about it.

Both Plaque Tale games are on my backburner. Got em on PS+ so I'll eventually go back one day.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Thought I'd set up Red Dead 2 on the pc on a whim, bought it ages ago but never played it, I'd already completed it on both consoles over the years..

Holy Shit.

It looks glorious. It's like a totally different game!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am wrapping up Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, but I may not finish it completely. Tried the Crouching Dragon Battle Royale Mission after finishing main story missions and first DLC. I get filtered by the third cross-naginata boss most of the time but almost beat the fourth tiger demon boss before he unleashed a long range attack as I was about to drink the health potion. After reading up on it I find out that I have the evil taoist, demon brothers, and horseless Lu Bu to look forward to...
iori-kofxv-laugh.gif

Just the last two DLCs then...
I was curious to see if they ever topped Lu Bu in the DLC. It felt like no one was talking about the DLC. I liked Wo Long except the final boss was kinda lame.

Man Peggle Nights challenges are really hard for me. I was giddy on the first 10 hours of my Peggle journey, but I think it's time after 50 hours to put it away a while. I only play it so much because i dont have the strength for more demanding stuff right now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
100%-ed Hellblade 2. Now finally getting to the backlog again, started Outcast: A New Beginning.

It's a .. weird fucking game lol. Something that would have gone much better in the early Xbox 360 era.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Still playing Stellar Blade and have also been playing Day of the Tentacle. I started a new Starfield run on XSX with the 60 fps target. Opinions on overall game quality aside the game feels so much better to play at a higher framerate.

I was curious to see if they ever topped Lu Bu in the DLC. It felt like no one was talking about the DLC. I liked Wo Long except the final boss was kinda lame.
I haven't made it to the third DLC but the last mission of the second DLC has the hardest boss I have come across in the demon form of longsword+bow superman (as if the human version was not hard enough). There is also the special Nioh horse demon boss for a good challenge. The final possessed blind man boss was not a fun fight, but it was very challenging. There are some really cool human boss fights in the DLCs. On top of it, the DLCs have the cool whip, unarmed, and longsword weapons.

P.S. As far as the game is concerned, I have mixed feelings. Many levels go on for too long and the regular enemies are embarrassingly dumb (some levels especially in DLC are amazing though). Player defense and attack scaling with morale is disappointing when your character has the best gear. The five affinities and wizardry are a lousy progression system. The game is at its best when you are fighting a well designed boss or gauntlet of enemies in an arena. The combat/movement animations are amazing as are the skills. The dodge+deflect system works incredibly well though the ease of it depends heavily on weapon choice. It is a bit of a shame that weapon rarity and martial arts as well as accessory bonuses are locked but with luck and drop bonuses getting what you want is a matter of patience.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beat Dungeon Siege. Good old dumb fun, but quite addictive too.

Ending sucks but the final boss was kino, love when games pull the "play the main theme during the final boss" trick.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finished Sly 2: Band of Thieves. I really dig this franchise, even though it's starting to show its age a little bit. Some sections are pretty awful, especially the shoot em ups, with bad controls and just shit design overall. The segments with Murray are pretty boring too. The best parts is just Sly doing his thievery and Bentley supporting him with his wisdom and hacks. The level design is also all over the place. The first three levels are great and much fun, while 4 and 5, which takes place in and outside a prison facility, is shockingly bad and confusing to navigate. Level 6 and 7 takes place in Canada and goes back to greatness, while the final stage is middling at best.

Another great thing is the art design and the comic book style cut scenes. It's cool that this carried over in Sucker Punch next franchise, Infamous, which had a similar vibe albeit much more serious. With Ghost of Tsushima they completely shifted their style, with none of their hallmarks as if it's almost made by a different studio, and since it came with great success I doubt SP will ever go back to Sly and Infamous ever again. But a proper next gen Sly with all the experience and know how SP accumulated over the years would be awesome.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
On Jedi Survivor chapter 5 out of 6. Glad I stuck with it, despite some major issues at times with navigation and forgettable cast and story. There's way more platforming than I expected. Almost on the level of a Prince of Persia game at times.

Graphics on people are average. Graphics on the stages is phenomenal. Some of the best ever. Game has a lot of highs and a lot of lows.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Helldivers 2 … but thinking about starting Ghost of Tsushima … but can’t seem to stop playing HD2 despite having nothing to grind for until they announce new content.

Grapple Dog.

I'm a couple hours in and have much more to go. I thought it was going to be a short game the way i was breezing through the large-ish stages.

It has cool music, it is not piss hard like most indies I've played lately, and it gets my full recommendation.

*edit* It gets pretty damn hard 70% or so in.

Last edited:

engstra

Finished Tunic last night, what a fantastic game. After rolling credits I followed a guide in order to solve some of the puzzles (and just see everything the game had to offer) and pretty mind-blowing to discover so many secrets hidden in plain sight. The mountain door puzzle might be one of the coolest puzzles I've seen in a game. Some of the secrets are way too cryptic though. Having to decipher a whole language to translate some bits of text is way too much.

Humdinger

Gold Member
The Forgotten City, which is a Skyrim mod adapted for console. I played about 4 hours, then quit. It's too dialog-heavy for me. It's a detective game, where you're running around from person to person, place to place, trying to put clues together. Apart from one section, there is no "action" in the game. It's just talking to people, trying to find clues and put the puzzles together. Although the setup is interesting, I didn't find the game mechanics enjoyable enough to continue beyond a few hours.

Dazraell

Gold Member
I've been bouncing between AC IV: Black Flag and Spartan: Total Warrior

I have very fond memories of playing Spartan back in 6th gen era. Breezing through hordes of enemies is quite satisfying, but the game pulls way too many objectives that are outright boring or not fun to play. There is also an issue with having to constantly struggle with clunky controls, especially when you need to do some platforming and jumping from one ledge to another or having to fight on a very narrow bridge. I had to replay various moments way too often because of failed jumps or being pushed by enemies

Black Flag on the other hand is still fantastic to revisit. The tailing missions still suck like in most of earlier AC games, but man, the gameplay loop in this game is sublime. Everything works so great and each of the game's systems fits so well with the setting

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I replayed Deliver Us the Moon, now playing Deliver Us Mars. It's pretty good, but I feel like they tried to do more than they were really capable of. It's like they tried to do a story-driven AAA game on an indie budget. The interactions with other characters (and how those characters look) are pretty terrible, and I miss the lonely feeling of the previous game. In this one there are cutscenes every five minutes, with terrible-looking character models. It's also not a continuous experience from start to finish like Moon. Here you'll suddenly be somewhere else completely after a cutscene, like the game keeps skipping stuff that in Moon you would have played through. The story itself also seems more unbelievable, with some pretty sketchy science and outright silly stuff. Moon felt more grounded in reality.

But I'm still mostly enjoying it, and I'll finish it.

Hypereides

Gold Member
Killer is dead

Wrapped it up. It was pretty solid. Deserves a sequel that expand and build upon its foundation. The game contains some imagery that would probably spark outrage among some sensitive folks today. Patrick Klepek probably wouldn't be able to make it past certain stages.

Xellos

Little Kitty, Big City: It's a fun, chill game about exploration and collecting stuff as a cat. The cat and especially his animations are the game's biggest strength. There are similarities to Goose Game in that the game will give you achievements for accomplishing random mischief. The difference is the cat can talk to other animals whereas Goose Game played it straight by only letting the goose honk at things. I think this forced Goose Game to be a little more clever with it's design, while Little Kitty feels a bit more traditional with quest-givers, fast-travel points (tied to a certain animal buddy), and a Zelda-style stamina meter. Still enjoying it though, it's a well made game (aside from a few minor glitches). If you like cats or Goose Game it's worth a shot. I hope Double Dagger makes a follow-up with a bigger adventure.

Pepper Grinder: 2D platformer with a drill. Everyone has seen this mechanic in other games, where the character drills through the ground and player is given 360 degree movement via the analog stick. The game does a good job mixing things up: sometimes there are bombs, cannons, vehicles, ice, lava, water, hidden areas, switches. I'm only playing a level or two every couple of days. I think if I played straight through I might get burned out, but it's good fun in small doses.

Punished Miku

Some of the art design on these levels is just great; Jedi Survivor.

Glad I stuck with it to the end. It has some flaws but enough cool moments to make me enjoy Star Wars again for a brief time, which is hard to do. And great platforming thats a lot more intricate than expected. 8/10.

I'm in for part 3 if they make it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Starting up Rise of the Ronin now. Got to borrow a copy. Looking forward to seeing what this 1 button combat is all about.

Kssio_Aug

Playing both Elden Ring and Lies of P.

Both are fantastic, but although I do think that ER's open world is very well done and super ambitious, I can't really say that I prefer it over the linearity of the past From Software games.

Sometimes it feels too tiring to traverse that immense open world. And some repetitive boss fights or dungeons doesn't really help.

Incredible game overall, but I prefer their previous entries because of this.

And Lies of P has been fantastic in that regard. A really well made Souls clone, with great level design and gameplay! I've just beat the Mad Donkey though, so I'm pretty early.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
WWE 2K24

These last couple of WWE games are my guilty pleasure. They've really gotten good at them and I've gotten back into wrestling recently too so it all adds up.

FbGXdN9.jpeg

uIez06m.jpeg

3FqRdgk.jpeg

H8G8nlw.jpeg

Dancer_BV

Playing both Elden Ring and Lies of P.

Both are fantastic, but although I do think that ER's open world is very well done and super ambitious, I can't really say that I prefer it over the linearity of the past From Software games.

Sometimes it feels too tiring to traverse that immense open world. And some repetitive boss fights or dungeons doesn't really help.

Incredible game overall, but I prefer their previous entries because of this.

And Lies of P has been fantastic in that regard. A really well made Souls clone, with great level design and gameplay! I've just beat the Mad Donkey though, so I'm pretty early.
I was looking into getting Lies of P. I haven't heard absolutely anything about it other than this comment, but I'm a huge fan of Soulsborne games and Elden Ring, so it's great to hear you enjoy it while playing it alongside the latter.

Kssio_Aug

I was looking into getting Lies of P. I haven't heard absolutely anything about it other than this comment, but I'm a huge fan of Soulsborne games and Elden Ring, so it's great to hear you enjoy it while playing it alongside the latter.
Definitely worth checking out! One of the best Souls clone I've played. Great level design, great enemy design, great combat mechanics and fluid gameplay. It reminds me a lot of Bloodborne, and it seems to me it was their main source of inspiration.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Just finished Islets on Steam Deck(was given for free on Epic Store recently). Pretty good game. Good art style, tight gameplay, well done metroidvania map and a solid story.
Islets_Action_2.gif

Also finished RIN the Last Child. Not good. Graphics are good but gameplay is super clumsy the map menu is atrocious and performance pretty subpar even on a well spec'd PC.
gif2.gif

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished Sea of Stars. Overall really good game. The only gripe I had with it and it's a small one is during battles I started to get annoyed when 2 or 3 enemies would attack for every one attack one of my party had in battles. It kinda hurt the flow of battles after many hours where I knew after most attacks I'd have to wait 2+ turns to get to attack again. But that's about it. The music was good(even used a track from The Messenger in it remixed), the story was good, the side quests felt important, as they contributed to the best ending. Very good game. Eiyuden Chronicle next.

Punished Miku

Think I might bail on Rise of Ronin. I'll give it a 2nd chance tomorrow. Happy I got to try it out though and will likely get down the road on a deep sale. Seems like a very swimming in 7s kind of game.

Combat is extremely simplified. But it has a charming arcade game quality to it like a beat em up. The best thing the game does is have enemies follow an extremely simplified rhythm on some of their combos but it feels good. Keeps the parrying fun and fairly casual. Havent played a game that has combat exactly like this. Its pretty enjoyable.

The open world is kind of sucking a lot of the enjoyment out of the game. You get the experience of running in an empty world with not a lot happening to get to objectives, only a lot of the environment has steep rock walls so following your compass doesnt do much. A lot of wasted time running around. The English voice acting is almost the worst Ive ever heard in a game. The few quests I did so far are pretty lifeless. Graphics are probably the 2nd roughest I've seen for a Team Ninja game, ahead of Stranger in Paradise.

If I could just mainline the combat without the rest I would enjoy it. Stealth is really simplistic as well but I can enjoy a lower budget stealth game like Tenchu. I'll give it another chance tomorrow.

Finished Sea of Stars. Overall really good game. The only gripe I had with it and it's a small one is during battles I started to get annoyed when 2 or 3 enemies would attack for every one attack one of my party had in battles. It kinda hurt the flow of battles after many hours where I knew after most attacks I'd have to wait 2+ turns to get to attack again. But that's about it. The music was good(even used a track from The Messenger in it remixed), the story was good, the side quests felt important, as they contributed to the best ending. Very good game. Eiyuden Chronicle next.

Hell yeah! Did you get the true ending?

Top Bottom