• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has the best movement mechanics of all time?

Aces&Eights

Love the Souls roll. Blink in Dishonored, too. Hmm, for something older, I loved how Sam got all ready to pounce when sneaking up slow behind an enemy in Chaos Theory. His crouch walk got slower and his arms readied to grab that neck.

MogCakes

tumblr_nb4my9xucX1sw2y8ro1_500.gif

AC

Gator86

Whenever I had any down time in this game I'd just run and dive and roll around. The controls were that fun. Fun enough that I always wanted to see what I could throw at them that they couldn't handle. Which was essentially nothing.

MGSV is a masterpiece in basic game mechanics and character control.

Absolutely. It's a fucking shame Konami is done with games. Mgs5 was a parade of terrible in so many ways but the gameplay was goddamn stellar.

I kind of feel like Prototype is underappreciated. It's not the best game in the world but running up buildings and gliding around and smashing down and wrecking stuff up is really fun in a kinda janky sort of way.

I love Prototype, but if I had a dime for every time I had to fight the targeting system I'd have, like, ten dollars.

In terms of first person I have no idea because there are tons.

For third person it's between GTA 5 and Max Payne 3. They're both opposite ends of the spectrum (GTA 5 is heavy, smooth and realistic, MP3 is fast, twitchy and responsive), but they're both amazing.

Tainted

My favorites are probably a lot of the classic first person shooters. Like you said, Doom, but also Quake, Duke 3D, Counter-Strike, Half-Life, etc. There were so many FPS with solid, fun, but challenging movement mechanics in the late 90s.

First post nails it

Kas

I'm really liking the wingsuit in Just Cause 3, because once it clicks, it's great. I feel like a flying squirrel zipping around and flying past mountains and cities.

There are many great examples here but I'd like to point out the latest Uncharted beta has some of the most fluid control experiences in modern gaming to date. Everything from the traversal, rope-mechanics to gunplay all feels universal compared to its older contemporaries. I

f ND keeps adding layers to their controls as U4 in their future games they would eventually compete with Mario Galaxy or 64. That, would be truly mindblowing to see a AAA game with that kind of input depth, something I would never ever imagine saying it for western develeopers.

ApharmdX

Banned
I'm partial to Gunvalkyire for movement mechanics.

Thank you. There are certainly other games with more fluid and/or reactive movement, but these games made movement itself a very engaging and rewarding mechanic unto itself that, when mastered, yielded a specific kind of gaming euphoria I rarely see.

Goddamn I want a modern Virtual On game so much.

Wow, I'm not alone! The Twin-stick or virtual twin stick movement scheme is just amazing. GV in particular was just extremely rewarding to move around in. I actually broke a controller on the level that was like a big hive where the antagonist's crazy poem is blasting from the speakers, but after that it "clicked".

I've never played a game that offered the kind of payoff simply from moving around that these two games did.

I actually think black ops 3 is like a smaller scale version of titanfall's movement. I do think black ops has maps that are better designed to take advantage of the wall running in some ways.

jonno394

Super meat boy: twitch platforming perfection. When you get in the zone you feel like a god.

Rayman Origins: just exceptional traversal system combined with great level layouts that allows for top quality speed running

Super Mario 64: When I think back to some of the moves I was making to get through levels quicker, I can see just how good it was.

Edit - Dying Light: excellent parkour system .

Broank

Sunset Overdrive once you get the hang of the air dashing and slam bouncing and everything is really great. Has a very rhythmic satisfaction to it.

Cody_D165

Banned
It's gotta be Super Smash Bros. Melee.

The game's engine is buttery smooth to begin with, but once you delve deeper and learn some advanced movement techs... you feel unstoppable. Complete and total control. The ability to put your character exactly where you want to be at all times. There are reasons why so many people still cling to this game, and I'd argue this complete feeling of control is one of the biggest.

Plus I can make Captain Falcon moonwalk :'D

DeathPeak

I've been really feeling Uncharted 4's movement in the beta. Swinging into a roll on the ground into jumping a barricade is pretty fluid.

zsynqx

There are many great examples here but I'd like to point out the latest Uncharted beta has some of the most fluid control experiences in modern gaming to date. Everything from the traversal, rope-mechanics to gunplay all feels universal compared to its older contemporaries.
I've been really feeling Uncharted 4's movement in the beta. Swinging into a roll on the ground into jumping a barricade is pretty fluid.

Yeah it is easily one of the best controlling TPS's I have ever played, which is in stark contrast to the original trilogy.

I would have to throw in another vote for Vanquish as well.

*My all time favourite though is probably Mirrors Edge.

There are many great examples here but I'd like to point out the latest Uncharted beta has some of the most fluid control experiences in modern gaming to date. Everything from the traversal, rope-mechanics to gunplay all feels universal compared to its older contemporaries. I

f ND keeps adding layers to their controls as U4 in their future games they would eventually compete with Mario Galaxy or 64. That, would be truly mindblowing to see a AAA game with that kind of input depth, something I would never ever imagine saying it for western develeopers.

Totally agree with this man.

Racing sims are leagues ahead on simulating the real thing than anything where you control a character, but that's not really what you have asked. Driving a car in real life is by no means the most complex or natural movement there is, so that's why we have been so successful at replicating it.

Whaaatt?? How can you say that when we have Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015??

Shower+with+your+dad+simulator_a3fae6_5672830.jpg

pa22word

I submit to the denizens of Neogaf GIF evidence for Titanfall:

Those gifs sums up why controllers killed high movement oriented shooting, really.

"hey i'm flying around this looks coo-"

*stops for a few seconds so he can press a button to aim with any precision at all*

:/

6030.jpg

I don't understand how every Spiderman game since this has crappier web traversal.

Couldn't think of something that I could confidently nominate for "best," until I saw this. This is it. Everything was great in that game movement/traversal wise. It was crazy how you swung from actual spots on buildings, yet could still control it deftly, like Spider-Man, guess.

How in the world has no other Spider-Man game surpassed this one's web-slinging? I remember seeing a review for this game somewhere (Official Playstation Magazine?) and it got a 2 out of 5, but the reviewer added a separate score for the city + web-slinging, giving it a 5 out of 5 (something not typically done) because it was that good.

DELittle

Neo Member
Tony Hawk (2 in particular) and SKATE felt really good once you get a good flow going.

Katamari Damacy is very unique in that movement is the entire game, which is a bunch of fun!

Geometry Wars and Super Stardust HD movement felt so silky smooth and super enjoyable.

Wipeout HD, and most wipeout games, have my favourite racing movement model, but I can see how more realistic games would appeal to other people.

Titanfall by the widest margin imaginable

Other studios and franchises are so desperately trying to ape it but no one's made it feel as good

Those gifs sums up why controllers killed high movement oriented shooting, really.

"hey i'm flying around this looks coo-"

*stops for a few seconds so he can press a button to aim with any precision at all*

:/
I don't stop in any of those gifs... Every single time I'm shooting, it's while simultaneously strafing through the air. It only looks like I'm slowing down during ADS because of the FOV change, but I assure you, I'm still moving at speed.

This is also on KB/M, and the gif is at about %80 speed.

Top Bottom