• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has the strongest "Tetris Effect" on you?

MMOs. I've literally hunted for loot in my dreams, and have to stop myself from saying 'we could just vendor it' when I mean 'sell it'.

Mik2121

Definitely Tetris.
To a lesser extent, The Witness. I kept seeing lines and dots connected everywhere in real life.

ZoronMaro

This happens all the time to me with a lot of games. Usually it's audio things, like a common sound effect in the game I'll imagine I heard. Most recently when I marathoned every Metal Gear game I started hearing the alert sound all the time.

The most dangerous one was when I was playing GT5 obsessively and I would have the strongest urge to drift on corners.

I had to stop playing Pikmin back in the day because when I would try to fall asleep afterwards I would fall into a half-asleep state where I started worrying about the Pikmin not being in their ships at time, and would suddenly lurch up and look in the general direction of the floor in front of my TV to check. It was... something, lol

xzeldax3

Ever since I started playing Rock Band drums, I specifically notice the drum parts more clearly in every song I hear.

Z..

Man... I want to experience this! Been gaming for almost 30 years and I had no idea this even existed... Oo

Heartfyre

After playing so many Assassin's Creed games, I often look at real-world buildings and think about how best I can climb them.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Thw first Crackdown, looking at buildings and how to traverse them for sweet, sweet agility orbs.

katagai

The Witness was a recent one for me.
I kept seeing line puzzles all over the place, even cracks in the sidewalk.
It was pretty fun actually!

Very light spoiler and you probably wouldn't know it was one, but just in case.

I had this happen to me as well. It was neat at first how my brain was drawing lines through everything to solve imaginary puzzles, but it got to a point where it was pretty distracting and made it hard for me to focus on things.

Metal Gear. I used to actually have to sneak into my girlfriend's house as a teen. Literally hiding in closets, and causing distractions to move out in the open and into the next room.

DJIzana

For me, the most obvious was that come to mind...

Chrono Cross

PSO

Granblue Fantasy Re: Link

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

FFVersus XIII / XV

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I'm sure there will hopefully be more as well, later down the road!

Reversi

456497-microsoft-windows-xp-included-games-windows-screenshot-an.png

TDonk

Skyrim
Minecraft
Red alert 2

Most notably!

RA2 - I could hear tank shells constantly whilst trying to sleep. Good times.

bluethree

After extended minecraft sessions, I look at buildings and structures around me and start thinking too much about how I can make them in the game.

Osahi

I had a very bad case of this with Lumines. I kept matching blocks in my mind after I was done playing for hours

OBias

Metal Gear Solid V. This game has the biggest playtime in my Steam account, I just keep getting back to it. I wish Konami worked on new missions for MGS V instead of making that zombie survival spin-off.

tsab

Tetris:
When I watch TV with subs I imagine which tetrimino can fit in the space between the subs

Rockband:
everything is going up

Hansel

Banned
As a child I saw the whole world in terms of how to make it out of Legos.

With games though, Catherine controlled my thoughts for weeks. I think picturing the puzzles was even better practice than playing.

cHinzo

Super Hexagon. Everything starts to spin after a while. Luckily everything also looks to run in slowmotion. 😁

purdobol

Mostly the games where I devoted insane amounts of time playing them.
Unreal Tournament had that effect. Where in half asleep state still imagined playing the game, analyzing it. Or Lineage 2. Which had tremendous effect on the way I've communicated with my friend (who played with me) in real life. To the point where no one could understand what the hell we're talking about (at work, and at parties etc).

Didn't happen with TF2 though. But i think it's just the different mindset i had at that time. It didn't matter to me as much to be as good, as competitive as two previous examples. When you grow older there's so many shit you have to worry about other than games. While as a teenager you can focus entirely on a game. Which i assume why this Tetris Effect happens. Didn't know it was called that though.

Top Bottom