• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games are you *literally* the only one excited about?

I can totally understand wanting to defend the quality of language from what you describe as ignorant use. I felt that way for a long time, before I came to understand that language is far more fluid than I had realised.
It's not just how I describe it, it's what it is. I've heard people saying "I'm literally dying" - they either don't know what OG literally means and apply it to mean figuratively, or they do know what OG literally means and they just don't care and abuse the term. Both uses I would say are ignorant.

Something to consider though, if language and the definition of words are to be followed stringently, how has the language ever changed? There is no distinction between evolution and devolution as you describe in terms of the changing of a language, it generally tries to reflect actual usage and the digital age has made this much easier to monitor.
i get what you're saying, words are often of course not used stringently.

People will often say "The Ps4 is destroying the Xbone" - and "destroying" "destruction" probably most people think of like how things become in like war battles and stuff, but the word is used more liberally and kinda metaphorically however, as AgeEighty said, there's no other word known to us that can replace the word "literally", it's the only word to mean what it does.
Words like "Arab" which are obvious derogatory terms are generally segregated as slang.
huh? The word "Arab" isn't derogatory (unless you pronounce it as aye-rab), it's the name denoting a race of some (but not all) of the ethnic groups descended from the Middle East.

The race of people descended from South Asia are a different ethnic group but because of current events, most people don't know or care and call all of us Middle Eastern/brown/Arab/Indian/Arabic/Arabian, all interchangeably.
The definition is a tad weak, using the word in its own definition. Although it should be noted the informal definition will always be coupled with the formal definition, the latter being used to describe the former.
Wouldn't that mean that the OG definition is still just as relevant if not more?

There are some worrying trends occurring within the English language, but it can be difficult to argue with the majority usage. The apostrophe is on its way out, "would of" is rife instead of "would have", all abbreviations are acronyms and now there is not a word in the language that's sole meaning is literally. It's unfortunate.
People should be corrected when the would of/would've shit happens. Even though everyone knows what everyone means and it's all linguistics and semantics, that doesn't make it okay. A word that means a certain thing shouldn't inherit a meaning due to misuse. What kind of language evolution is that?

I am however happy to leave it here with opposing views, already enough derailing of this thread.
Yeah we could put it to rest, but I wouldn't be surprised if this discussion continues on in the thread, after all, the thread title..

SOME-MIST

I mean there's obviously more than just me since it was funded using indiegogo...

but under-the-radar and mostly only talked about by me on here... council of the crows (ithaka of the clouds). been a huge fan of kyratzes since the first time I touched the sea will claim everything, and apparently he's been a contracted writer for quite a few bigger games lately (like talos principle). I can't wait to see what happens in this lands of dream scenario.

PillarEN

Keep on waiting for Finding Paradise (To the Moon 2)

It looks like the devs are porting over To the Moon onto mobile. Soon after in the summer the sequel should drop.

Steam page is a go: http://store.steampowered.com/app/337340/Finding_Paradise/

In the meantime here is a wallpaper for To the Moon for your phone

Cx-ADe5WIAASK6J.jpg:large

Deadhold - spiritual successor to Myth, one of my favorite PC gaming franchises
Camelot Unleashed - spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot

Not literally the only one though. I'm sure there's a handful of GAFers who care about these games, but only a handful.

daTRUballin

Any time a new Five Nights at Freddy's game is coming out, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one excited about it here......

Okay, well, maybe not only me. Maybe like one other person.

Considering there's no OT, I think I maybe the only one excited about the LocoRoco game coming out today. I loved LocoRoco 2 on the PSP, and I'm really excited to play the first on the PS4.

18-Volt

Doesn't seem like many others give a shit about Akiba's Beat or God Wars.

I expect mediocrity in both cases, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a middle of the road JRPG.

Hey, I'm super excited about God Wars. I'm a huge SRPG fan and it's hard to find one of them these days. Everything about the game looks fantastic. Art, story and gameplay.

It's hard to get excited about Akiba though. Famitsu gave 27/40, it's a bit worrying.

I never see anyone on GAF hyped for Wattam, Keita Takahashi's (Katamari Damacy) next game. Given how beloved Katamari is here, I always find it odd that it's never mentioned. He's also done a bunch of installation games that no one ever talks about.

Ritzboof

how are there so many posts shitting about the world "literally"? the wonderful thing about language is that the meaning of words dont exist in a vacuum. definitions change a lot over time, and even if a word like "literally" still officially means "to the letter", remarkably, we can recognize when its being used just to emphasize something. i didnt for a moment look at the title and think OP was talking about games that actually only had a single human being out of 7 billion that were anticipating it

in any case, OP did a good job of giving ooblets a little stealth advertisement. it looks really cool, i want it

Dessa

Neo Member
Okay, so clearly language has changed to the point where we don't have a word for what "literally" used to mean, except for "literally," which can also mean the opposite of that.

Because language can change, can we change this to the way it used to be? Because that way was better.

Ritzboof

Okay, so clearly language has changed to the point where we don't have a word for what "literally" used to mean, except for "literally," which can also mean the opposite of that.

Because language can change, can we change this to the way it used to be? Because that way was better.

"literally" still literally means "literally", though. do you have trouble distinguishing how someone is using a word? we can just go by the book for eternity, though, and language could never change. thatd make you pretty gay, wouldnt it

Dessa

Neo Member
"literally" still literally means "literally", though. do you have trouble distinguishing how someone is using a word? we can just go by the book for eternity, though, and language could never change. thatd make you pretty gay, wouldnt it

Yes, I already pointed out that literally still means literally. It also means the opposite of literally. And no, sometimes context is not clear enough to distinguish which meaning of the word should be inferred.

And like I said when I wrote the comment you're replying to, the definition of literally has changed once already. Right now, "going by the book" means that literally can also mean figuratively. I am suggesting that we change the existing definition and go back to the old way.

Thankfully, I am already gay, so I guess I'm in the clear there.

The only way someone can be *literally* the only one excited about a game is if they're making one themselves and they haven't told anyone else.

Edit to add a second vote for Knack 2.

That *literally* isn't the only way someone can be *literally* the only one excited about a game. What if the game maker hates their own creation?

Think outside the box, boy·o.

All here for Knack 2. But I was pretty amped for Hellblade.

Wensih

SomTervo

Judging by the complete and utter silence the OT garnered, this comedy Point and Click game Paradigm.

It's not just how I describe it, it's what it is. I've heard people saying "I'm literally dying" - they either don't know what OG literally means and I apply it to mean figuratively, or they do know what OG literally means and they just don't care and abuse the term. Both uses I would say are ignorant.

Language and words change. Both in pronunciation and meaning. They can strengthen or weaken. It's just how it goes. 100 years ago, if you called a married woman "nice" you'd get slapped. If you called her a hussy she'd be like "yep".

In current dictionaries, 'literally' now has an actual entry as an intensifier (like "really" or "very"). It's now canon that it doesn't just mean "absolutely non-figuratively".

The linguistic term for this is 'atrophy'. The meaning has 'weakened' over time. Happens with pronunciation, too.

you don't need to own a physical one. there are websites like dictionary.com or merriam-webster.com

Right on those websites:

dictionary.com entry for 'literally' - entry 4

merriam-webster.com entry for 'literally' - 1b and 2

Malyse

Arguing about the definition of "literally" instead of actually contributing to the topic? Only on GAF lol
It keeps the topic bumped, which in turn makes it more likely that someone will notice it and post a little known game. So y'all bicker away! It only helps.

redcrayon

Hey, I'm super excited about God Wars. I'm a huge SRPG fan and it's hard to find one of them these days. Everything about the game looks fantastic. Art, story and gameplay.
Im really excited about God Wars too. As a fellow SRPG fan the June release is perfectly placed for me to pick up after Fire Emblem Echoes.

Operation Babel is another one I'm looking forward to, but I'm not surprised a vita release of a sequel to a remake of a dungeon crawler isn't generating much discussion here! The first one (Operation Abyss) was pretty good.

redcrayon

Ys 8 nothing comes close, like all the games that came out this year are filler for me
I'm looking forward to Ys 8 too, but Adol's adventures do have a small but loyal fanbase around here, with threads guaranteed to cover the games- it's not like only a handful of interested gaffers exist :)

Top Bottom