• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming magazines had (or have) the best cover designs?

ScOULaris

So I've found myself slipping into my annual gaming magazine nostalgia phase, and I've been looking through old covers from various 90's/early 2000's magazines online. Rather than making a thread in which we all list our favorite magazines from yesteryear, I thought I'd make it a bit more targeted and focus exclusively on the cover designs.

I'll kick us off with a magazine that I felt had the most consistently eye-catching covers: PSM.

MRMxygL.jpg
tumblr_mg454ao2Kr1qd4q8ao1_1280.jpg

PSM_big.jpg
8GOKcpZ.jpg

While I think Next Generation comes in at a close second with its slick, professional cover designs (and premium cover paper stock with wrap-around art), I have to give the edge to PSM in its prime. At a time when most magazines were transitioning toward using 3D renders or other official assets from developers for whatever game was gracing their cover that month, PSM kept the old tradition of featuring original artwork on every cover alive. While the quality started to fade in the later years, the art speaks for itself during the PS1 and early PS2 eras of the magazine's lifespan.

Another shout-out to GMR Magazine, which was James Mielke's brainchild and also sported some seriously slick cover designs:

GMR4_zps56d5b0a1.jpg~original

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
LOL, PSM? My god, that's rough. The original artwork made it feel even more low-rent.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I loved N64's cover art, the artist that drew the covers was so good that he was poached by Rare IIRC.

Morat

Banned
PSM looks awful mate, garish and over the top IMO. I would go for Edge as having consistently stylish cover design.

Allforce

PLAY magazine is really the last mag I bought consistantly, this would have been around the early 2000's. Really liked their covers, writing, and overall design of the mag.

Have no idea what happened to anyone involved with it. It was really a high-quality magazine and had some great articles that weren't just PR regurgitation.

zenpuff

Neo Member
Hah, I had every PSM ever, even when they started to get a little fanboy-ish and I rolled my eyes at them. The art was definitely a product of its time. I used to think it was the coolest stuff ever. Same as GameFAN, though some of that stuff looks waaaay more rough nowadays.

FatboyTim

"Beat the Aliens with Hannah's Playing Tips" states Crash next to a painting of a semi-naked, large
breasted, alien mud wrestling female member of staff, whilst simultaneously answering the prayers of
100,000 schoolboys across the United Kingdom. "Win a Wurlitzer Jukebox!" it flashes across the bottom,
but there is no need for further temptation to purchase. The happy newsagent is a magazine, ten foam
shrimps and quarter of colacubes lighter.

GMtjbpq.jpg
http://www.uncleclive.co.uk/clive1s.html

PillarEN

EGM under James Mielke's reign. It was the sad end for the original magazine but they had great covers during that short period. I'll give props to Game Informer today.

ScOULaris

LOL, PSM? My god, that's rough. The original artwork made it feel even more low-rent.

PSM looks awful mate, garish and over the top IMO. I would go for Edge as having consistently stylish cover design.
I know what you mean. The covers certainly aren't as clean and professional as those seen in EDGE or its predecessor Next Generation, but I appreciate that they always used original artwork not found elsewhere.

Definitely PSM. I was buying that mag even before I owned a PS1, based on the covers alone.

GameFan also had some killer cover art late in it's life.

moozoom

When I was a kid, I religiously bought each month TILT magazine and I spent hours looking at the covers which were often made in pixel art / computer art with the first graphic tablets and paint software.
I particularly loved the ones with a "TRON" esthetic since I was crazy about the movie.

Even if some are a bit kitsch today, and I still find them less busy and garish than the 90's covers full of text, explosions and crude colors.
Please remember that it was the 80's and one of the first if not the first computer and video game magazine in france.
All these covers made me want to learn to draw, and are probably a big part of my job in illustration and graphic design today. (My first computer drawings in Macpaint were less than stellar, though.)

mollipen

PLAY magazine is really the last mag I bought consistantly, this would have been around the early 2000's. Really liked their covers, writing, and overall design of the mag.

Have no idea what happened to anyone involved with it. It was really a high-quality magazine and had some great articles that weren't just PR regurgitation.

If you mean American Play, I'm still around, currently at EGM. Nick, Casey and I were doing a podcast for a while about Japanese gaming. Heather's comedy career really took off, so now she's doing that. Brady helped relauch EGM, and bow he's in the entertainment industry. Mike Griffin is a game consultant. Dave tried relaunching GameFan, but it didn't work out, and I'm not sure what he's doing now.

You might not have been around at that point, but late-era Play (2006 - 2009) was the closest thing to a proper GameFan revival as has ever happened. There were, at that time, like six of us from the old-school GF days on the mag, and we had a Japanese slant quite often.

PillarEN

If you mean American Play, I'm still around, currently at EGM. Nick, Casey and I were doing a podcast for a while about Japanese gaming. Heather's comedy career really took off, so now she's doing that. Brady helped relauch EGM, and bow he's in the entertainment industry. Mike Griffin is a game consultant. Dave tried relaunching GameFan, but it didn't work out, and I'm not sure what he's doing now.

You might not have been around at that point, but late-era Play (2006 - 2009) was the closest thing to a proper GameFan revival as has ever happened. There were, at that time, like six of us from the old-school GF days on the mag, and we had a Japanese slant quite often.

WAHP is dead again? :(

Man it was my life mission for a while to draw an official PSM cover lol. I finally did get to do a magazine cover for an indie video game zine though.

ScOULaris

I also wanna chime in and say that I don't really care for the Game Informer covers. Sure, they feature wrap-around artwork like the higher-quality UK mags that they aim to emulate, but they feel so damn lazy. I'm all for clean layouts on covers, but these take minimalism too far. Nowadays they are typically just some concept art from whatever game is this month's cover story and that's it. Not even a little bit of text or any other design elements that could actually make it look like a cover rather than just an art print wrapped around the spine of a magazine.

The Boat

On the phone right now, but there was an Edge GC edition where the magazine itself was kind of square and the cover was the top of a black GameCube. Fucking gorgeous.

Havoc2049

Play, along with Girls of Gaming had some consistently good covers. I think I have every single issue. Shidoshi and the crew rocked it! ;-)

Play-March2008.jpg

GirlsofGaming.jpg

I also really like the design and layout of Gamers' Republic.
gr.jpg

NekoFever

Really nice covers! But why did they say "Sega is dead" in July 1998?!
IIRC there was a time when the Dreamcast wasn't even going to have a Sega logo on it. Maybe Sega was thinking of a rebrand at some point.

That's certainly done a while before the Dreamcast release (note the circular start button, which didn't make it to launch) so it might be around that era.

IIRC there was a time when the Dreamcast wasn't even going to have a Sega logo on it. Maybe Sega was thinking of a rebrand at some point.

That's certainly done a while before the Dreamcast release (note the circular start button, which didn't make it to launch) so it might be around that era.
Oh I didn't know anything about this!

Top Bottom