• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What hand do you use?

How do you open things?

• Total voters

Rockondevil

What hand do you use to open bottles/jars or the like, and what is your dominant hand?

I’ve never really thought too much about it until today when I heard a man say to his partner “You’re right handed, why are you trying to open it with your left?”.
I thought to myself that’s exactly what I do and here we are.

Over the years I’ve dabbled in using the alternate hand to what I open things with and it hasn’t felt right.

Right-handed... really I'm using both innit? But left on top. I think my grip strength is slightly stronger on my left owing to crappily playing guitar, so that could be a factor. Not sure if I always used my left to open things.

Also could be that ya know... since it's lefty-loosey, and that's the hard part... loosening something... and hands are asymmetrical, so I wonder if it's naturally easier to go counter-clockwise with the left wrist.

Would be interesting to also inquire if the people opening stuff with their non-dominant hand prefer inverted view in games.
Initially did inverted in FPS because that's how flight sims work. The original Spec Ops PC Game didn't have inverted Y-axis as an option so I adapted to "up looks up", which is a bit nonsensical because "pulling back tilts up" actually has more in common with the physical reality of mouse (and even dual analog) controls. Anyway I played through Spec-Ops, my brain broke through and comprehended "normal", and I stuck with it because I realized other games would skip out on the Y-inversion options, and even if they didn't it would never be the default.

I thought this was about masturbation.
Left hand, reverse grip.

Wait...
Right handed - masturbate with left

Like a true digital native
Right hand for everything except whacking it.
come-at-my-right-arm-bro

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm cross-dominant. It differs from ambidextrous in that there is still a dominant hand with everything, but which hand it is changes depending on the task. Fluency can extend to the non-dominant hand on any task to make that task ambidextrous, but would require the same amount of practice with the off-hand to develop fluency, so doing this with throwing a ball for example is much easier than with writing. Most often there is no reason to go through the trouble of training the off hand, so few tasks are ambidextrous.

Oh god, can of worms open.

Writing - Left
Throw a ball or darts - Left
Catching ball - Right
Bowling (cricket) - Right
Snooker/pool - Right
Boxing - Right
Football - Right foot.
Open jar - Left
Arm wrestle - Left
Wank - Right
Screwing (tools) - Left
Drilling - Right
Taking this as a template, somewhat:

Writing - Left
Catching ball - Left and Right
Bowling - Right
Pool - Left
Boxing - Left
American Football - Left
Open jar - Left
Arm wrestle - Left
Wank - Left
Screwing (tools) - Left
Drilling - Left

Last edited:

Rockondevil

Taking this as a template, somewhat:

Writing - Left
Catching ball - Left and Right
Bowling - Right
Pool - Left
Boxing - Left
American Football - Left
Open jar - Left
Arm wrestle - Left
Wank - Left
Screwing (tools) - Left
Drilling - Left
So essentially left handed, but your preference is balls in your right hand.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Writing - Left
Catching ball - Right
Snooker/pool - Right
Boxing - Right
Football - Right foot.
Open jar - Left
Arm wrestle - Left
Wank - Right
Screwing (tools) - Left
Drilling - Right

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm a lefty but use my right hand when using scissors. Also, right is my dominant mouse hand. Which is very convenient in certain situations.

Toots

Gold Member
Ambidextrous
In lunch stealing only and that is because of practice...

Anyway Im left handed, use my left arm/foot for sports, i play instruments right handed (because no one has the money for a lefty guitar at 15), i fingerbang with the right hand while fondling with the left, and i'm ambidextrous when im wanking (because between 12 and 16, during my jack off anytime anywhere period, i started to get scared of destroying my left arm using it too much, or worse ending like the supermutant shown above, so i taught myself to wank using the right arm and the rest is history. Plus whenever i get bored jacking off i can just change hand to make it new and fresh again :messenger_sunglasses: )

clarky

Gold Member

Writing - Left
Catching ball - Right
Snooker/pool - Right
Boxing - Right
Football - Right foot.
Open jar - Left
Arm wrestle - Left