• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to arcade racers? arcade games? arcade consoles?

Don Carlo

An Interesting piece on Arcade Gaming I read last month, it seems the trend is completely fading away, COVID had significant impact as well.

According to a police white paper, the number of gaming arcades has been decreasing since 1986, from where there used to be 26,573 of them across Japan to now only 4,022, as of 2019. This number has declined even more since the pandemic, as many businesses that rely on physical interaction have closed down. If you’ve played the famous Yakuza video games series, you’re probably familiar with the Shinjuku Playland Carnival arcade in Tokyo’s Kabukicho entertainment district. However, that too closed down in November 2020.

Gideon_128

I'm at the point I have enough of cinematic games which are more like a work instead of being fun. I would love to buy machine like Neo Geo with arcade games only.
mf4aNCb.jpg
SNK MVSX

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Arcade based games are shallow, so most people bailed.

Back then, the best looking and sounding games were zippy arcade games.

But as soon as home PCs and consoles got powerful enough to do sweet graphics for any game, gamers moved to games that looks and sound good as well as have more content in the game, stats, real teams, real guns etc....

Pretty hard to get personally connected to a racing game with turbo fireball exhaust or an arcade shooter that can be beat in 30 minutes with infinite continues. But make a game that gives gamers a more personal touch (sim/career stats) and real branded gear and it makes it more believable.

When consoles had big jumps in graphics, a spiffy racing game was a show off launch game. Now, nobody is really impressed as graphics seem to have barely budged. Wow factor is gone.

Then again, Mario Karts selling 20 million copies each time. So it shows there's a crowd for super arcadey racing.

Last edited:
I need more arcade games in my life... remember the dreamcast? Hell remember the era of consoles getting arcade ports?

video games television GIF by Phazed

I honestly dont care for other types of games, arcade games are a rarity niche now.
Games are designed around their monetization.

You get arcade games when and if people pay a coin every time they lose a game and had to restart. The desire to entice people to keep paying money is what pushed graphics and gameplay. And of course the difficulty.

Arcade games are different from console games, who are different from phone free-to-play games. All because each have their own monetization strategy.

Games don't determine how you pay for them; how you pay for them determine the games that get made.

I also had high hopes for the next Dangerous Driving game until I heard that they also want to do an open world racer.🤦‍♂️🤮

I know EA sucks but how about a Burnout2/3 Remake??🙄😒

Last edited:
No, what they want aren't knockoffs or games that try but don't entirely capture the feel of a real deal arcade racer. I've got Hotshots Racing, but its just not on the level of classic Daytona or RR.

Which proves my point, you think indie or small titles are the only options, ignoring the hundreds of games on shelves.

It's like the "every thing is COD or clones" nonsense years back, people were going back to old games acting like there was nothing else available.

The same people who cry a game has no sequel because no ome brought it. Biut
that's because they disregarding it up front

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I need more arcade games in my life... remember the dreamcast? Hell remember the era of consoles getting arcade ports?

video games television GIF by Phazed

I honestly dont care for other types of games, arcade games are a rarity niche now.
It's because they do not have the depth of a racing game that is more simulation oriented.

WitchHunter

Banned
An Interesting piece on Arcade Gaming I read last month, it seems the trend is completely fading away, COVID had significant impact as well.

According to a police white paper, the number of gaming arcades has been decreasing since 1986, from where there used to be 26,573 of them across Japan to now only 4,022, as of 2019. This number has declined even more since the pandemic, as many businesses that rely on physical interaction have closed down. If you’ve played the famous Yakuza video games series, you’re probably familiar with the Shinjuku Playland Carnival arcade in Tokyo’s Kabukicho entertainment district. However, that too closed down in November 2020.
I've been thinking on a Brawler type of arcade game which hit you every time the enemy does so, and also sprinkles you with artificial or animal blood whenever they land a critical strike on you. Plus some artificial sweat sprinkling. You need to innnovate, otherwise why would someone want to go to an arcade?

Imagine you are having a boss fight and you have to protect your liver from a hit/kick in real life :D.

- WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? - asks the gf seeing the swollen eye and bruises all over your body.
- In the arcade, I'm level 3 now, but I got beaten by the new boss. Bring me some ice hon.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Locomalito has made several cool arcade games (and will hopefully keep making many more). A few got enhanced retail/arcade editions, most are available for free (including those that went on to retail, without the enhancements).
But they mostly live in RetroArch now. Get into emulation, I'm sure there are loads of amazing games you never got to play in the arcades and/or home consoles and/or are worth going back to again and again and again anyway (more than the average rare modern sequel/rehash etc.).

Last edited:

aclar00

Most people like easy, straightforward, story-heavy games which fill time, and they tend not to come back once the credits roll.

As such, challenging, fast-paced games you can beat in a couple of hours aren't worth much to them.

Not only that, but the repitive nature of them...i like my arcade games though, but mainly old beat 'em ups such as TMNT, X-men and others such as Batman & Robin (Genesis), Streets of Rage and Raiden. Basically yhe co-op ones are best to me. Races are meh ..but ill bite every now and then.

Top Bottom